“Charming hotel”

Hotel Royal Aboukir
Ranked #1,316 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 13, 2008

We had a 5 night stay in the hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is ideally located for visiting all the monuments, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and the breakfast was good.
It was good value for money

Stayed: February 2008
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Aboukir

Reviewed February 4, 2008

We booked a twin room with a friend for a business stay. The beds were so close it was like a double bed and almost sleeping with each other. Not great to share this type of bedroom with somebody who's not very close to you. I have though to say our room was quite clean and bathroom was great with a power jet shower. There was a mini bar and a bar menu in our room to order drinks but when I picked up the phone to order some beverages, receptionist told me there was actually no bar!! Staff was not very welcoming and not very nice, they also charged us two full breakfasts for two coffees!, but I suppose in Paris, it is still good value for money, believe me I saw much worse!!! To be recommended for short stays and business people. Not a place for honeymoon or mature people. Hotel has nothing romantic and area is not recommended ( very famous area for its prostitutes) I'd go there again for business but certainly not for a romantic get away with my husband!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Arrived to be told that they had overbooked and we could only stay for
one night and that we would be moved to another hotel next day. We duly packed up next day and went to reception to be told that we didn't have tomove after all. No apologies from the surly staff. Check
out time was midday however we were just 5 minutes late in checking out and were told that we would have to pay for a further night! Needlesss to say I didn't. No hot water, rude homophobic staff, very small bedroom. Don't do it!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Possumfoot
Reviewed October 21, 2007

This hotel is a great value for it's location. Right near 2 metro stops, fairly central area of the city, near decent priced shopping areas, late night food and drinks near by (walk right down Rue St. Denis and there is plenty going on in that area late night). The neighborhood is perfectly safe, anyone who says different grew up in Mr. Rogers neighborhood or may be sensitive to 'diversity'. Many nights my girlfriend and I walked through around 3-4am, without any worries.

If you're coming through Gare de Nord, then take line 4 to St. Denis and walk south, right to Rue Aboukir. Much easier than switching to get to Sentier.

The hotel is fairly typical for Paris,... small rooms, small bathrooms, smallish beds., small elevator. However, like I said, the price is more than appropriate for what you get. I've stayed at places the same size in Paris, for more. They have fridges in the room. They are stocked with a few items, which has a cost (price list is in the book on the desk). There is room to place a few items in the fridge too. Flat screen TV, not like you'd be really watching TV. Our shower had decent pressure and no lack of hot water.

Can't comment on the breakfast, since we always went out for it. Also, room didn't have an AC, which may be a problem in the summer, but was not an issue for us.

Staff was friendly, and willing to accommodate. In room internet access was fast. Beds were reasonably comfortable.

All in all, it's a great deal for this city.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank braticus
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We were extremely unsatisfied with our experience at this hotel. Not only was the area uninviting (red light district) but the clerk had the nerve to charge us the full stay even though we left on the very first day to look for another hotel. It took us months to get our money back afterward. The hallway corridors are very narrow and completely dark making it difficult to get into one's room, the bathroom is literally the size of a closet and the A/C unit requires that you leave the room window open. Aside from that, the area makes one not want to leave the hotel at night.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Richris_31
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Room was very small, bathroom somewhat antiquated, but very nice location very close to the heart of Paris. No A/C so I suspect it must get very hot in the summer...

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pjeanne
Reviewed September 17, 2006

Booking my stay at Venere.com, I thought this 3rd arrondissement hotel looked okay and the price was right. The front of the hotel is "charmed" by ATM's, so you are not paying for the splendor of the gate. The rooms are Paris-smallish, and the closet was almost impossible to get to, as they had installed an airconditioning machine that hindered the access.
There was a problem with the hot water one day, but it was fixed during the day.
Internet is free using Ethernet over electricity, and I had a good 2Mbit connection. Next time I should remember my Airport Express to be able to surf wireless from the bed. The different sites I read about the hotel were very ambigous about what kind of internet connection it was, but I ended up happy.
There was a Mini bar in the room that was not full, 2 bottles of beer, 4 bottles of water, 2 bottles of coke and one bottle of orangina. No wine or liquor. There was also no mention about the prices of the drinks, but when checking out, I paid for the drinks I had, 2.5€ for each. There was a 1€ tax per night added, but that was stated on the internet, and was hence okay.
The breakfast was in a small room in the basement - very parisienne I guess, and was more than sufficient for my needs. I was not charged additionally for the breakfast as I have been other places.
The location of the Hotel is rather ambigous. The hotel is in the Rue Aboukir, known for its tons of womens clothing stores and generally silent environment at night. If you go to the left out the door, you will end up at Sentier Metro and the delightful shopping area named Montorgueil which also has a number of lively inexpensive restaurants at night. This leads on to the Halles, but there is no reason to go further.
If you, however, go to the right out of the door of the hotel, you will end up at Place St. Denis with the number of prostitutes that have inhabited the Rue St. Denis for ages. Something for everybody, I guess. The closest Monoprix super market is also at that square.
In all a recommendable very central priceworthy hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo