“Great Location & Service”
Review of Hotel Diana

Hotel Diana
Ranked #449 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“Great Location & Service”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in September 2011, at the beginning of our trip, and had a most enjoyable stay. The room was small but very clean, nice thick towels, had a/c, a fridge and kettle. The free wifi worked well, and there was a flat screen TV. We looked out onto an inner courtyard so there was no noise at night
The booking process was unusual for Paris hotels, no credit card details taken as others have mentioned, but I confirmed our stay the week before and everything went smoothly.
We found the staff really wonderful, they all spoke good English and nothing was too much trouble.Can certainly recommend, it's very good value.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeanr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I got to Paris on October 24th, for a 3 night stay, as a first time in the city. When we looked for a hotel, we wanted something that ranges around a 100-120 euros per night, not big, not fancy, but clean, and in a nice area. Tripadvisor said exactly that about Hotel Diana. Upon our arrival we found out for the first time that it's a 2 star hotel (didn't say so anywhere on the internet, and we weren't smart enough to ask before). The staff was semi-nice, meaning some were wonderful and helpful, yet others quite impatient. The room was not only small (as are all rooms in Paris, I suppose), but filthy. The bathroom walls had hair on them. The phone in the room was something I didn't want to touch. It might have been a coinsidence, but not a very inviting one. Certainly did not meet our expectations, that were quite high, considering the Tripadvisor rating it got. Will not be going back there next time. Sorry.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Shiri A
Singapore
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights. Location is excellent, close to St Michel and Cluny La Sorbonne metro and rer stops. Lots of food places and shops close by to buy food and drinks. Easy walking distance to Notre Dame and Pantheon, not so close to Eiffel Tower and Arc du Triomphe but still walkable. Room was comfortable and quiet, bathroom in good working condition, front desk friendly enough and speaks decent english. Was very happy staying here.

• Stayed October 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I based my booking for a hotel in Paris purely on the reviews of Trip Advisor. I was looking for a good, clean, affordable hotel in Paris, and Hotel Diana came up as meeting this criteria. This is exactly what it is: a good affordable clean hotel right in the heart of Paris.

Like other hotels in Europe, the room and bathroom were smaller than US standards, but it was very functional. The room might have been crowded had I been taking a large bag. Instead, I had two smaller bags, which made it easy to organize in the room (and get around Paris, too). The room was older, but it was very clean and well maintained. The bed was bigger than a normal single, and it was comfortable, too. The water pressure in the shower was better than what I have in the US (a big pet peeve of mine!).

The staff was very nice and helpful. They all spoke perfect English and they were all willing to help or accommodate in any way they could. The breakfast was simple but very good. The location is good for tourist sights and there were several convenience stores close by the hotel. The neighborhood was fairly quiet, though early on in the night, it could be a bit noisy from the street traffic if the window was open. When closed, I didn't hear a thing.

The only negative had nothing to do with the hotel, but it had to do with the neighborhood. Not too far away was a very touristy area, and the restaurants there reflected this. If you wanted a close bite, you had the tourist trap restaurants. You needed to plan ahead to get away from these joints, which the staff of Hotel Diana will gladly help you find.

Overall, a good hotel for a good price. As a single traveler, it is exactly what I wanted, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jgm_09
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My husband and I just got back from over a week in France, ending with three days, four nights in Paris. It was our second time their together, but he had been there before. Here are our thoughts:

Location: Excellent location, just 3-4 blocks from Notre Dame, in the busy Latin Quarter district. As others have said, no, this isn't a super quiet street (we could see the Sorbonne from our balcony), but it's off the main drag and I didn't go to Paris to be shut away from the sights and sounds of one of the best cities in the world. Proximity to metro/RER is almost unbeatable- we left our rented car at CDG and returned to Paris by RER, I think about 1.5 blocks from the hotel.

Room: We had a street-side room (the smallest they offer) and I was thrilled- big windows, plenty of natural light, quiet enough at night with the windows shut (double pane), comfy bed (although we were so tired at the end of each day of sightseeing that it could have just been that we were exhausted and passed out), a closet (!!), mini-fridge (!!), small desk, small flat screen tv, full-length mirror, and good size bathroom (with built-in hairdryer). I have no idea why anyone would call the bathrooms at Hotel Diana small-- compared to anywhere else in Paris (or France that matter--- I had to shower OVER a toilet in Lyon), this bathroom was modern, roomy, and pretty darn fancy. My husband has stayed in four-star hotels in Paris and said he thought our room was by far the best he had stayed in. And, yes, the room is definitely on the small side if you compare it to US motels/hotels, but not for Paris. It was perfect for the two of us and our stuff.

Price: Very good for what we got (especially considering it was Paris and October is still considered high season). We did not partake in the breakfast so I don't know whether it was worth it.

Service: There was always someone at the front desk. You have to drop your keys off/pick them up when you come back. (The only snag we had was one afternoon when we came back for a nap and housekeeping tried to get into our room twice while we were trying to sleep-- what is the point of collecting our keys from us, knowing that we are "in," if you're going to wake us up in the afternoon? Oh well.) Very friendly service and each one could converse in English.

Reservations: This was a little weird- as others have said, they do not hold a credit card, but you have to reconfirm by email a week in advance. I was concerned about this, but there was no problem. To make myself feel better, we called the day we were going to arrive to let them know we probably wouldn't be in until 10pm and they said no problem.

Overall assessment: A great, comfortable place to stay in Paris. We loved being able to walk to some major sights very close (Pantheon, Sorbonne, Notre Dame, Jardin du Luxembourg), hop on the metro/RER very quickly, and have TONS of food options nearby. Will definitely stay here again if we ever make it back!

Room Tip: Street side rooms have great light and nice view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SDTraveler12
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband & I stayed here for 4 nights last Sept 2011. It was a very good experience. Booking was easy, I just sent an email to reserve the room and was told to re-confirm 1 week prior to arrival. The hotel is located near Notre Dame and it is convenient if you are riding the train to/from CDG, Orly and Versailles. We got there early, so we left our luggage with them until the room was ready. The room itself was clean and had most of the amenities you would expect from this type of hotel. The owner and staff were nice and easy to talk to. All in all, we did not have a single problem with the hotel during our stay.
Some things you might consider (which were not really a problem for us) are:
-The room and bath are small, but I think this is to be expected in Paris.
-If you are in a room facing the street, it will be noisy if your windows are open. However, closing the double windows can keep most of the noise out. Sometimes, you can also hear people talking from the hallway, etc...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ottawa
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed in room #11 (2 twin beds) for 10 days in August 2011. It is on the first floor with little natural light. The window opens onto a quiet ‘inaccessible courtyard’. There is a small fridge. Just enough room to walk around the bed, excellent shower and air conditioning.
The hotel is in an excellent location, safe and walkable to many sights, close to Monoprix, Franprix, Laundromats, Starbucks, shopping, bakeries, etc Most of the front desk staff is friendly and helpful. There is free wifi in rooms and lobby, which is reliable most of the time. And rental bicycles are parked right in front of the hotel.
The hotel was undergoing some renovations when I was there, so if you are in the room during the day, you will hear this noise. You leave the room key at the front desk every time you leave the hotel and the front desk is staffed 24 hrs.
I then switched to room # 33 (double bed) for 10 more days. There was lots of natural light as the windows open on to rue st Jacques, which is a busy, noisy street so if you like having the windows open during the night, good luck sleeping! Bring ear plugs. People make noise in the street during the night, and garbage trucks rumble by early in the morning.
For yoga lovers, there is a great studio just a block and a half away called Rasa Yoga. They offer massages as well.

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the street are quieter. Get one as high up as possible.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends