“A Bunch of Crooks!”

Pavillon Villiers Etoile
Ranked #874 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Booked in here for 2 nights based on location and reviews through Orbitz. We booked 6 weeks in advance, my card had been charged and we had confirmation. We got to the hotel to check in and was told there had been a problem and they'd booked us in "nearby." Nearby happened to be at a dump 15 minutes away by taxi. Their explanation at the time was that Orbitz had screwed up. Contacted Orbitz from the lobby and never did get a response. Called them when our entire trip was over and when Orbitz contacted the hotel was given the explanation that there was an issue with the hotel and everyone had been relocated. Funny, since the two couples in front of us got checked in no problem. If I could give it zero stars I would. They had 6 weeks to contact me about any issues (if there was any) and never did, but waited until our late night arrival.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenJen85254
There are newer reviews for Pavillon Villiers Etoile

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at Hotel 10th to 13th May. Have to say had room on first floor next to lift. not too much noise and as we were at rear of building very quiet. Had no problem with hot water as showered in the morning. Room was clean and en suite had shower over the bath. No complaints except for no tea or coffee making facilities in the room and unable to order from room service. Didn't have breakfast in hotel as ate locally at bakeries. Plenty of really nice places to eat and as daughter vegetarian we had no problems as all had veggie options. Really good location as not far from Villiers Metro..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Julie A
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a 4 day trip to Paris and we had no complaints. We were looking for somewhere cheap as we didn't plan on being in the room much, but not too far from the city center. Nothing took more than 15 minutes by metro, and the nearest metro station to the hotel was a 5 minute walk away, if that. It was close enough that we were able to get back to the hotel quickly to regroup and decide what to do next, or pick something up (my boyfriend went up the Eiffel Tower in the rain with no jacket...safe to say he wanted one when we got back down!)
The staff were friendly and spoken brilliant English. Our room was nice, not massive but not tiny, and we were on a budget. We had a mini fridge which we took advantage of and stored bottled water in, and there was a safe, although ours did not work. The bathroom was clean with a bath and shower, and fresh towels every day.
It was quite warm when we got there, and the windows were large and easy to open. We also had a fan which we plugged in a couple of nights as it was quite hot. The only thing that disturbed our sleep a little in the morning was that the hotel is off Rue de Levis, a busy road with a lot of market stools selling fresh food, and there was some crashing and banging as lorries were loaded/unloaded one morning and one afternoon.
Overall I'd definitely go back there again. It did what we needed it to do and we didn't have any problems.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmyC2119
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Pavillon Villiers Etoile when I had some business near the Palais des Congres in the western part of Paris. It was not the hotel of my choice, but I was told that there was no other available in the area.

The hotel is about 5 minutes' walk from Villiers metro station, through the busy Rue de Levis.

When I arrived, the receptionist was polite and efficient, but he apologized that the lift was out of order. So I had to climb up a narrow, concrete staircase, carrying my luggage. I note that one of the earlier reviewers of this hotel also says that the elevator was down when he was there. So perpaps it happens not infrequently.

When I got to my room, I found that the desk lamp and one of the bed-side lamps did not work. So I returned to the reception to complain and was given another room. But the desk lamp in that room, too, did not work. I had some documents to read overnight but was not able to read them at the desk and ended up doing so on the bed.

It was a chilly night for May, but there was no heating in the room. I somehow managed to sleep, but my colleague, who stayed in another room, later told me that she could not get to sleep because it was too cold.

The breakfast cost €8.50, and it was a pretty meagre affair. No English-speaking channel was available on television. The bathroom was clean, but there was a crack in the floor.

I am a seasoned traveller and have stayed in all sorts of accommodation, from five-star luxury hotels to simple bed and breakfasts. With four- and five-star hotels, you know more or less what to expect, but with three-star hotels the quality varies greatly. I know some first-rate three-star hotels. But the Pavillon Villiers is, I think, a third-rate three star, with that air of tiredness and shabbiness typical of this type of establishment. While it is perfectly clean and safe, it is not the sort of hotel you would choose to stay in when there are others available.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Etranger
Reviewed June 2, 2013

It was awful in everything: service, comfort, breakfast, wi-fi and even hot water! The stuff is rude and not helpful at all, there was not hot water for 4 mornings out of 6 which I stayed there! Terribly dirty rooms and the hotel - sorry, I can't call this place "the Hotel"-it's a low-grade inn!

Room Tip: Never choose this place for any kind of trip!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Eleonora P
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here with my sister and mother in May 2013, and we were really pleased with this hotel.

The room was a reasonable size, with an en-suite with a fab shower and a built-in hairdryer. There was also a safe, heater and minibar in the room, along with a desk, wardrobe and luggage stand. The only thing this hotel is missing is in-room tea and coffee making facilities, as my sister and I are true Blighty girls and were really missing our tea by the end of the stay! We were overlooking the courtyard and the hotel was generally quiet, which considering we stayed over a weekend, was a welcome surprise. Even though our room was right next to the lift, there was hardly any noise during the night, so we had a nice restful stay. There's WIFI in the lobby, and you can also pay to have it in your room.

We only had breakfast here once, but it was fine. There was a selection of sweet pastries and bread, jam, honey, cheese, ham, cereal, yoghurt, juice and tea / coffee, which at the time of our stay (May 2013) was 8.50 Euros (or thereabouts). It's served from 07:00 - 10:00 so should suit early and late risers. There's also room service, which is fairly pricey, as you might expect. A note to anyone staying in Paris - on checkout, you'll need to pay City Tax, which is around 1,30 Euros per person per night, and isn't included in your hotel booking payment.

The staff were fantastic - really friendly and helpful, and while we were there, they were helping
visitors with all sorts of hotel and tourist information in a variety of languages. They kindly ordered us a taxi, and stored our bags for a few hours after checkout.

I read some mixed reviews of this hotel, but I have to say that we were really pleased with all aspects of our stay here. Let's face it, if this hotel has come up in your search results, it's because you're on a budget. So yes, the decor is a little faded and tattered in places, but the sheets and towels were changed daily, and everything was clean, and functioned perfectly well.
The location is fantastic - really close to the Metro, and just around the corner from a lovely street market, and tons of bistros, restaurants and cafes offering all different types of cuisines. If you're doing Paris on a budget and want a nice, friendly hotel with an en-suite, and close to plenty of amenities, you could do a lot worse than this.

Room Tip: One overlooking the courtyard should be fine, as you're off the main street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank DeedeeDavies
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. I don't ask for much from my hotel stays, since I really use them more for showering and sleeping as most of my time is spent on exploring the city.
One thing I was wondering before I stayed at hotel was whether or not they had a clothing iron. For anyone else who likes to explore Paris with nicely ironed clothes, make sure you bring a traveling iron, since hotel does not provide one.

First the good. The staff was really great...friendly and helpful. I did not see any bugs or rats which is always good. Room was decent size and very clean, with fresh linens. Great location, with a very short walk to the metro and plenty of stores, markets, boulangeries, and a couple of Monoprix (supermarket and mini-Target-like store) down the street.

Now the bad....out of the 7 nights, we probably got 3 nights of a good, hot shower. The rest of the nights we had to take very cold showers. When asked about this, the person at the front desk said that it can happen when they are fully booked, but would look into it. Also, if you notice the pictures I posted of the bathroom, there wasn't a shower door or curtain, therefore, the water would spill out onto the bathroom floor. Not sure what the shower set-up is like in other rooms.
Now from the shower to the internet. Based on what other guests said, it is possible to get internet in your room if you're on the first floor of the first building. Since I was in the second floor, I didn't get good wifi, but didn't mind walking down to the lobby....if only their wifi was working. Well, it worked about 4 of the 7 nights we were there. The other times, I had to walk around the corner to their sister hotel to use their internet.

If it wasn't for these two issues, I really could have given the hotel a really good review, but couldn't. This is by no means a five star hotel. If not having hot water or in-room wifi is not that big of a deal, then by all means, enjoy your stay.
One last thing....if you like to wind down after a long day exploring beautiful Paris by watching some TV, there's only french-speaking channels. Probably best to bring movies with you if you don't speak the language fluently....and try not to download movies from iTunes or Amazon, as the internet is super-slow, and can take a whole day for downloads.

Room Tip: If possible, try requesting a room in the first building (where lobby is), in the first floor for go...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple