All reviews oberkampf metro station republique area clean hotel small hotel convenient location min walk central paris location is excellent marais neighborhood elevator cafes supermarket boulangerie
Selected filters
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I had previously stayed at Saint Louis Bastille Hotel as part of a Rick Steves Tour. When we decided to return to Paris on our own we found an internet site offering airfare/hotel packages and were quite surprised when we chose our dates that this hotel out of 1700 in Paris came up. Being we were familiar with the hotel, had a good experience and knew the location, we chose to stay with this hotel rather than an option to upgrade.
We arrived from the airport about 2 hours before check-in time. We were willing to leave our luggage and come back later but the desk manager, Michel told us to wait and he called his boss and asked if we could get in room. We were told it'd be about 5 minutes so we were happy to be able to get into our room early after a long overnight flight. After freshing up a bit we headed out for some sightseeing. We had room 105 with large windows overlooking the street behind the hotel and we loved seeing and hearing Parisians bustling around. The windows are insulated enough that when closed at night the sounds were not heard. Nice market on the boulevard in front of the hotel on Tuesdays and Saturdays with any kind of fresh food you could want along with some misc items for sale. It was fun watching locals buying their food for the week.
The room was small as is expected in European cities but we had ample room to move around and a nice big wardrobe w/drawers that enabled us to unpack what we needed for a week and save space by putting empty luggage away. Room always cleaned early in the day, spotless and comfortable. The underground dining room made of stone reminded me of a wine cellar. A good selection of foods and beverages and very nice staff who made a point to come around and talk with us daily. Always seemed ready to please. Do know some reviews criticized that when using the shower the bathroom got flooded so we were a little worried about that but had no problem~~as long as you direct the shower head so it is not shooting a fast stream of water directly at the glass doors you will have no problem. The water filled the bottom of shower but never seeped under the glass.

I would have to say that the highlight of this stay was Michel at the front desk who was so helpful and friendly, giving us suggestions on restaurants, transportation, warning us of pickpockets. And he would always greet us with a French greeting, tell us what it meant and had us repeat. It was fun greeting him back in his language instead of always expecting him to use our language. We had a very early flight to Prague (6:30 am) and he arranged for a shuttle to meet us at 4:15 am and we had no trouble getting to the airport in plenty of time for our flight.

We forgot to ask but apparently this hotel is now under the Best Western Chain as there was a small sign on front door but service was just as good as when we first visited in 2007 and if we return to Paris we will definitely use this hotel again.

Thank you Saint Louis Bastille.

Room tip: We preferred our room on the second floor (they call second floor the first floor as reception is below) and the elevator is quite small~~we had 2 adults and 2 27" soft rolling duffles and could just fit~~so could easily walk the stairs to room. We have now had a room facing the front (102 I think) and room 105 this time (facing back). It's nice having windows to look out of and good insulation blocks noise when you want to sleep. Both these rooms were designed the same so either one good.
Date of stay: September 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed here on a week long trip in Paris.

Good use of small space, as is the case in much of the City.

Short distance walk to nearest Metro station. Situated next to a Village Square type area where a community flea market occurs on most days of the week - with a wide variety of odds and ends, and great French foodstall offerings.

The rooms are cleaned daily, and offer the usual creature comforts - tea and coffee sets, nice tv, tall French windows opening out onto the bustling streets down below, flower boxes beneath you add a nice touch, even if the flowers aren't real..

Nice neighbourhood restaurant on the nearest street corner as well

A bit further away from the Central Arrondisements, but travelling there was not an issue, the Metro runs until late at night and is generally always busy. McDonalds nearby offers free WiFi if one is data-less! This can be a lifesaver on cold, dark, rainy Parisian nights.

The reception and cleaning staff in particular were very friendly. The underground breakfast dining area is an experience in itself - Croissants, baguettes, cereals, cold meats, whilst watching French news broadcasts, in an earthy stone walled warm room.

The pricing suited our budget very well indeed..

A micro-microcosm of Paris itself - aesthetic appeal is everything

Date of stay: March 2013
1  Thank shkpeters
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked for a single room. I didnt expect much, but I was surprised to find out that the room looked and feeled quite nice. Every day the clean lady cleaned the room, so that when I would come back, I would find the room clean and tidy. The room wa small, there was no view, but concidering the price, the experience was really pleasant. I got a late check-in with no problems, the staff was really friendly, English was no problem. The hotel is only a couple of minutes away from the nearest metro station. Every day you get free coffee, tea and cookies in the room. The bathroom is small, but very clean. They changed the used towels every day. You can sometimes hear noises from the other rooms, but that didnt bother me. I would recomend the hotel, considering the location, price and friendly stuff.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked this hotel because I had a strict budget to stick to while planning a stop in Paris for three nights.

This location is just outside the Marais, and 5 minutes to Oberkampf metro, so it was very easy to get to from CDG and Gare Du Nord station, and also made a decent base to explore the city by Metro. The neighborhood it is in is not the most quaint, but it seemed safe and we even had our favorite meal in Paris at a local (Italian!) restaurant just a block away from the hotel, the name of which escapes me.

The hotel and room was clean, and quite small, but we didn't intend on staying indoors for long periods so size mattered little. Beds/pillows were clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water and water pressure, and a good working air conditioning, as well as windows that could open for a breeze. Shower sprayed water everywhere due to a poorly designed glass partition. Check in and out process was a breeze, and the room was ready early.

Breakfast was nothing to write home about so I wouldn't pay any extra for it (it was included. No cold milk for cereals offered. Juice tasted odd. The croissants were really good though!

The biggest complaint was that the walls appeared to be paper-thin. Luckily we didn't hear the neighbors all that much to disturb sleep, and hopefully we didn't disturb anyone either.

So, it's not a luxury option, but it's a very decent and fine option for budget travelers.

Date of stay: July 2013
2  Thank BrianWPB
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I booked this hotel for 5 nights because the price is reasonable and fairly close (3km as I found out later) to Gare de Lyon train station - we arrived by train from Luzern. Although it had mixed reviews, I still booked it. The location is not in the centre of Paris, but in a suburban, what I call a working class area. The only way to the city is by Metro which is only 5 mins walk. The metro is not the best, it's old, smells of urine and dark.
We stayed in room 501, 5th floor. It's very small, you can't swing a cat let alone put 2 large luggage on the floor! We asked the receptionist if we could get rid one of the seats so that I could put my luggage where the seat was. He agreed reluctantly. Another thing I also dislike is you cannot open the windows and our room got very stuffy. Thank goodness for the aircon!
The space in the bathroom is just enough for one person. The shower hose is loose and needed fixing and not enough hooks or bars to hang your towels.
One experienced that would stay in my mind forever is our whole 5 nights that we stayed in room 501. In the middle of the night my husband and I could hear heavy footsteps, dragging of a chair and 'whoshing' noises coming from the top floor and behind our bedroom walls. I thought this was 'normal' but later on we found out on our last day that there is no one on top floor (5th floor is the last floor) and no building beside us. Another tingling experienced we had, is we heard this clicked sound, then we heard something smashed on the floor. My husband quickly got out of bed and he could feel this cold breeze coming from somewhere. The next morning, we found the the evacuation notice on the floor, the hard plastic cover broken and strangely our door dead lock was opened! And I always make sure our door is completly lock at all times. We had never had this experiences before and I'd thought I'd share it.
If you don't want unpleasant experiences like ours please avoid room 501.

Room tip: Avoid room 501 on the 5th floor. Read my review.
Date of stay: June 2013