“Rudest staff I've encountered in France, period.”

Residence Unic Renoir Saint Germain
Ranked #116 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Nashville
“Rudest staff I've encountered in France, period.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

My third stay in Paris but have stayed in many hotels in France, if you have a perception of the French being rude and want to see it for yourself, this is your place. I'm really speaking the the day concierges during the weekend (an, um, gentleman) and Monday (a "lady?"). Both could barely hide there disdain for me. I do speak French but after hearing me speak the "gentleman" switched to english, fine. Didn't make him a bit nicer. She was even worse.
The night staff was much friendlier but if you don't have any French you would have some trouble. Rooms had peeling paint on the ceilings are were a bit drab but I didn't mind that as much as the rudeness. Most people who live in Paris are friendly and welcoming but coming back to hotel after a fun day met by such coldness can take the fun out of a trip.

Room Tip: go to another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DBMoore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed in Montparnasse during a business trip. The location couldn't be better since Montparnasse is very lively area with a lot of restaurants. It's also close to the Luxembourg park which is my personal favorite place in Paris. Since the street is busy and loud try to ask a room which is not located on the street side. Otherwise earplugs work fine, too. My room was small though I wouldn't have needed any bigger. I wouldn't recommend this place for very big people since e.g. the shower is small and also hotel corridors aren't very wide (basic parisienne style..).
It's hard to find good hotels in Paris and I could recommend this to my friends. Probably not for business people since their standards are normally much higher. The bed was comfy and the room was clean. The best benefit is the area. Also metro stations are nearby so access to other parts of the town is easy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JaaMa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

This is possibly the filthiest hotel my girlfriend and I have ever stayed in.
Our room is abhorrently filthy; there is hair almost everywhere in the room including on the blankets and between the sheets. The blankets have not been changed since the last guests slept here as we have found what only can be described as semen stains all over them. The bathroom is disgusting, minuscule and leaking. Light fittings have not been fixed and wallpaper is peeling from the walls. The staff are highly unfriendly and unhelpful. Upon arrival it was nearly impossible to exit the shoebox sized elevator and walk down the anorexic-scaled passage to our ghastly room as it was blockaded with abandoned cleaning equipment and filthy linen which scattered the floor. This was not a once-off and seems to be a daily recurrence. I would only recommend this hotel to my worst enemies; Peruvian prisons are more pleasing. Do NOT stay here.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Charts87

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

The hotel is in the centre but the staff there was VERY unfriendly, and not willing to help guests at all! Room was dirty, and so small we could not fit our bags (three bags). The only thing 'good' about this hotel was the location. Terrible!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ElisaDP
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

When booking this hotel, we didn't expect anything spectacular because you get what you pay for.

On arrival, the hotel receptionist was not the most welcoming, avoiding eye contact as much as he could and it seemed like an effort for him to answer any questions we put to him.

We got to our room and it was fine. It certainly didn't look like it had been recently renovated as the wallpaper was looking very tired. Other than this, it was clean. If you like a good night sleep, I wouldn't advise you stay here as the walls are paper thin. Our neighbours were extremely noisy and we could hear everything (some of which wasn't very pleasant)!

The hotel is in quite a good location and the Metro stop (Edgar Quinet) was about a two minute walk away. From here, you could get anywhere really easily.

If you are travelling with children and you have breakfast, they will try to charge the adult price of 10 euros per person per breakfast. I queried this and suddenly the receptionist reduced the child fee to 5 euros. It is never worth 10 euros as all you get is a hot drink, orange juice, some bread rolls and a croissant each.

Overall, the hotel was ok but we all agreed that we wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Katie F
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

The hotel is situated in a very nice and cozy neighborhood. It also boasts a very cute courtyard.

The room was very small, in dire need of renovation. We specifically had asked for a twin-bed room for 2 adults and we got a room with a double bed and an expanding sofa. The bed sheets and the blankets for the sofa were not very clean.

The water in the bathroom was merely lukewarm. The bulbs in the bathroom were hanging off the ceiling by their wires.

The WiFi Internet connection was not working the first day and the staff at the reception were not willing to help until next morning (although it seemed that a reboot of the wireless router, which was placed on the reception desk, would have corrected the problem). When we managed to connect to the Internet the next morning, we found out that it was terribly slow. Plus, you have to pay for it...

The cost for all of the above was a whopping €228 for a single night.

Our stay in Paris was prolonged, but we didn't even give it a thought staying in this hotel for at least one more night. Therefore we checked out and found another hotel.

Overall, it was an unpleasant experience, and I would not recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank loonytoon911
Tbilisi, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

On the positive side, this hotel is really close to La Coupole restaurant, two Metro stops, businesses, French cinemas, and the Montparnasse train station.

On the negative side, there is lots of constant noise, no working phone in the room, it is surrounded by crepe restaurants which are full of people and smell like cooking crepes, dust was thick, I killed bugs in the room, not sure what they were.

When I arrived to check-in, there was a noisy argument going on between two staff members. It happened to be a black person and a white person. It was nasty enough that I left and came back 40 minutes later. Still arguing!! I checked in anyway, since I was already financially obligated. The room was not clean and it was just above a creperie and across the street from another. They cooked smelly crepes until around midnight every night. Not having a phone is really inconvenient. You can't get a wake up call, for example. The reception desk said the phones were going to be repaired, but one staff member said they were usually broken. The drapes were half attached to their rods. You could not lie in the bed and touch all four walls with your two feet and two hands, at least you could not do this if you are 5 feet 4 inches tall, but you could almost do it. You could squeeze between the wall and the " table" if you weigh 110 pounds, but if you weighed much more than that you would really struggle to get into the cubbyhole where the "table" is.

Three days into my stay, someone decided to remove a chair from my room. That chair had been my clothing storage area, since I could not get to the closet because of my size. I never found out what happened to the chair, but I found all of my clothes on the "table", except for my underwear which was on the floor.

While I was napping, a male hotel employee walked into my room without knocking. I'm not really sure he was an employee. He didn't introduce himself.

This hotel is in the running for the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, but Paris has a lot of contenders for the prize, so I still have not awarded the grand prize, which is a golden can of roach spray.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business