“a lovely hotel”

Ranked #415 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Tralee, Ireland
“a lovely hotel”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My son and I stayed here in a twin room. Spacious enough for Paris(!) and quiet at night, despite busy traffic nearby. Good breakfast. Friendly staff. Our second time here. Would definitely stay again! Close to Luxembourg Gardens & excellent transport connections(lines4,6,8 of Metro, two stops from Denfert-Rocherau for CDG Airport). Good cafes and restaurants nearby. Don't forget to visit the Tour De Montparnasse(55 storeys) and wave to everyone at the Eiffel Tower!

P.S. I put in a review for my daughter at the Hotel Atelier St Germain(14/5). So, it shows in my name,not hers!!

Room Tip: room 203 was a good choice for us, a twin room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Love love love the location of this hotel. It's a minute away from the Vavin metro and you could go to almost anywhere. And if you're tired, the taxi station is just right there by the Le Rotunde before you go down the station.

It was my husband and my little boy and the staff were very much eager to ensure that our stay is comfortable. They didn't get the memo that we had a toddler but they fastly set up the little cot / playpen in our room but we didn't want it anyways coz there wouldn't be a lot of room to move around if they put it there. Also we could all fit on the bed comfortably. We parked our stroller on the little adjacent hallway before the bedroom.

The bathroom in the water is pretty strong. No complaints on it. We just had to use the towels and change it everyday.

A lot of baby stores around too just at the back on the way to Luxembourg Gardens. And our baby had the grandest time playing around on the pond. You could even rent the little sailboats for a euro and do it like all the parisian kids do :) There are a lot of the fruit stands if you need any fresh fruits and milk. Just go grab those. It's just about 2 -4 minutes walk depending which one you go to.

And the whole neighborhood is lined up with cafes and bistros and creperies, there's no way you would go hungry. I recommend the italian restaurant via venezia, super yummy ! And the breakfast area that we loved is the one just in front of the Le Rotunde. Really good too and not expensive.

The tour of Montparnasse is just 5 minutes away by their famous mall, Lafayette Gallery. It's a branch of the big one by the Opera. And the whole Montparnasse is lined again with a lot of shops if you wanna do some European shopping.

And lastly, the hotel room was very quiet. I couldn't even hear anything from the other rooms. If you need umbrellas, they would even lend you one, just remember to bring it back :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Very nice hotel, quiet, and very helpful desk staff. No frills, small rooms, but clean and modern. Location good near the Luxenburg Gardens and Metro stops; a little furhter walk to Notre Dame than expected, but that was okay. Breakfast not worth the bang for the Euro, 16 euro for minimal buffet. We found a cafe nearby that was very pleasant. Lots of cafes and bistros in the neighborhood and dest staff eager to give suggestions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Londoner
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I loved this hotel! It was a surprise trip to Paris for my mum and she loved it. My favourite was the very stylish rooms and art on the walls; all tastefully appointed and very cleverly used, despite the space constraints. The location was fab..just a few yards from Vavin Metro and you could go just about anywhere!

The staff were also very helpful and just made it such a relaxing place to be. There were some niggly little things; intermittent wi-fi connectivity, the fact that breakfast was quite limited and at 16 Euros not cheap either. I would recommend you get rooms on the 5th floor; the lead-footed guest above us made sleeping a bit of a challenge! Would definitely visit again. Merci beaucoup!

Room Tip: Pick 5th floor - lower risk of getting nosy guest above you!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Considering this is a Best Western, these are not too shabby digs for price and aesthetics.

When we arrived, contractors were madly hammering away at a barren room near the lobby. In less than 4 days, a decent sitting lounge and bar appeared. We did not get to partake in this area as we checked out a day after its completion. But it was indeed a sign that this hotel was making an effors to up the ante in appeal.

The room:
I appreciated the modern-style decor and the ode to famous artists. We landed in the Salvador Dali wing. His quirky quotes adorned our doors. Never mind the good-sized pothole in the carpet just before our entryway, which was interesting to step into every day.

The rooms are comfortably furnished. Although our king bed was really two twins pushed together. That's such a pet peeve of mine. They have some Velcro-mechanism that kept the two beds together well, but just knowing that there was a split down the middle was a bit of downer. The mattresses however, were just fine. Not too hard, not too soft.

The bathroom:
We were on the third floor and the water pressure in the shower was something to be desired. The bathtub has a very high side, so step cautiously in and out. It could be a neck breaker.

Splash sparingly because the glass wall does little to prevent water from spilling onto the floor. The shower head is one that can be hand held or adjusted in height. I swear the cleaning lady intentionally turned the shower head facing OUT so it would spray me when I started the bath! What the hell did I ever do to her?!

Toiletries and towels:
Shampoo and body wash provided, but they aren't anything special.The towels are slightly thicker than paper napkins but quite possibly just as rough.

The noise:
Who the heck is saying this place is quiet? With two restaurants along this small side street, there's plenty of noise all the way up until 2 am! And I swear the garbage truck came every other morning.

The staff:
During our stay, it seemed like the desk was staffed by a woman by day and I found them both to be very friendly and their English good. Night staff was mostly men, one of them kind of creepy.

So why the "Very Good" rating?
Having stayed here for 5 nights, overall this place met our needs just fine. The place is getting a facelift, so everything is fairly new and clean. The location, as everyone has mentioned truly is great.There's a cute little boulangerie just around the corner to get your daily caffeine fix and croissant. Across the way, there are two markets, one up till 9 pm, the other till 10 pm. Plenty of great restaurants to choose from in the area and of course, have the Vavin Metro station so close was a huge plus. Free WiFi,which is always nice. And truth be told, if I thought that little side street was noisy, I can only imagine what the noise level must be like if our hotel was on the main drag. So I pick my battles, and appreciate all that we got for the decent price point we paid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shiubee
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really liked this hotel, the room was exactly as shown in the pictures. Being a Parisian hotel, the room is small, but I thought they had used the space very cleverly. Service was great, with nice, friendly staff (helps if you speak a little French), very efficient check-in and check-out and they use proper smart cards to control the door, so none of those annoying trips to reception when your phone wipes the card.

I didn't try breakfast, but there are plenty of places nearby to try if you want. I'd stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 101010101111
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is our 3rd stay at this hotel. It's a minutes walk from Vivin metro and Rue de Montparnasse yet off the beaten track enough to be very quiet. Something hard to find in Paris. Only complaint is that there is only one option for breakfast at 18 Euros currently which is very expensive. Cafes and Patisseries around wil do croissants and coffee for less than half that. There are lots of restaurants, cafe's, creperies and other options around for evening meals. Rooms are a good size, clean with recently refurbished bathrooms. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2013