“Friendly, dingy, fairly well-located”
Review of Luxor Bastille

Luxor Bastille
Luxor Bastille
Ranked #1,737 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Stayed here with a friend over New Year's eve. Not many options that night. What can I say. My friend and I shared a double. It was worn and slightly dingy, though clean. Bedding was fine. Bathroom not sparkling, but decently clean. I do have friends that would not stay in this place, so know yourself. But like I said, fine, not that I would want to honeymoon here. Staff friendly enough.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Luxor Bastille

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Myself and my mum who is a senior citizen unfortunately booked to stay in this so called hotel for one night. It is important to note that I reserved the room well in advance of arrival and requested a room on the 1st floor in writing via booking.com as mum is scared of heights. On arrival to our dismay we were given an 'attic pit' on the top floor? Before entering the room we had 2 stand aside to allow a lady to open her bedroom door as the space was so confined!

On entering the room we were faced with a disgusting musty smell, low ceiling, dirty stained carpet and a ridiculous confined space. This was merely a fire hazard and death trap! We went to the hotelier to ask if we cud receive a room on the 1st floor as requested and we experienced a serious level of aggression and verbal abuse from him. Mum was clearly upset and the hotelier proceeded to snatch the booking form from mum's hand, took my suitcase from me and put it into a back room and demanded me to pay 100 euros and then leave without my luggage???????? ABSOLUTElY CRAZY BEHAVIOUR AND TREATMENT of guests????? The hotelier tortured us for at least 15 mins, at this stage it was 10.20pm. We were so scared of him that we just needed to get out so I was left with no choice but to pay 100 euros for a room that we cudn't stay in just to receive my suitcase back! MADNESS!!!!! We then proceeded to walk around the area late at night hoping to find alternative accommodation.

Seriously speaking I am appealing to French authorities to close this death trap of a pit down immediately as it is merely a disaster waiting to happen!

Be warned hoteliers, I am taking action on this experience! I will be taking measures to ensure that we are FULLY compensated not to speak of the trauma and upset caused. Pathetic and shambollic!!

Signed, a very well experienced traveller!

• Stayed: July 2011
9  Thank Londonderrychaz
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The adage is true: you get what you pay for! Old, tacky, smelly, cramped – a good 15 minutes’ walk from Gare du Lyon - not ideal if you’re carrying luggage. Depending on time of day, reception staff can be friendly, incompetent or downright aggressive.
Hotel is totally devoid of charm and character. Room (particularly bathroom) smelt strongly of antiseptic which caused my eyes to water. Sheets and washbasin appeared to be clean enough, but carpet was covered in stains. Where the wallpaper wasn’t peeling off, it was covered in scuff marks.
Don’t book this hotel unless you’re genuinely left with no other choice and don’t mind slumming it for a night. Make sure you get a very good rate, because there are much better alternatives available at these prices.
You have been warned!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Worst hotel ever. Dirty room, rude personnel, not recommended. Good location.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank oanabenescu1970
Reviewed April 1, 2010

The hotel is dirty and my room smelled of sewage when I stayed. The staff is unfriendly and often impolite. It is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at and it is one of those hotels that you would be ashamed to share the experience with your friends (especially with the ones who know the hotel). It's cheap, but when you get there, I'm sure you will say "Oh, no wonder..."

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank tkpres
Reviewed June 17, 2009

When we went to the hotel ... the staff didn't speak english at all!The room was not even tidy and everywhere was dust like it was not cleanen for months.Before shower you must clean the bathroom your self at first because sink and bathroom are very dirty!They do NOT put toilet paper.The towels were changed only on the last day we were in this stupid hotel!! On the first day we found a dirty blankets on our beds and when we complained about that they changed the blankets. we were very dissapointed about this hotel cause we thought it's gonna be better then we thought. we are never comming to that hotel of their idiotic hotel!!!!!! (PS: if your going to eat in there take the equil money that you need because they do not give the change back)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank DublinAnonimus
Reviewed June 30, 2008

On first sight this appears a great little hotel in an excellent location (just behind the Opera House at Bastille) unfortunately first appearances can be very deceptive.

First major negative - uncleanliness; the hotel seriously needs to invest in a vacuum cleaner and some bleach, either that or employ a cleaner who isn't afraid to use them! The toilet was a shocker and be warned the insects come out at night - you need to be very afraid when you switch on the lights as it sends the numerous cockroaches running across the carpet.

Second major negative - maintenence; bulbs missing, light switches hanging off the wall, no remote control for the wall mounted TV close to the ceiling, no plug in the sink....etc.

Other problems - expect to request replacement towels each day as this doesn't appear to be included in the not so basic fee and I hope you sleep heavily as the plumbing noise can wake you at night.

Finally don't be fooled by other amenities listed as there was no safe in the room, hairdryer, 24hour desk and the satellite TV was intermittent at best.

If you really insist on staying because sleeping on the street is your other option the only positive worth mentioning is the bed was very comfortable and had benefited from a recently replaced mattress.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank See-no-evil