“Service equal to its price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Maine

Hotel du Maine
Ranked #1,293 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Service equal to its price”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

The first, second and the lust impression of this hotel I can describe with one word - "average".

The room was small, but so was the price. Everything was clean and quiet. Wi-Fi area is only in the lobby and works poorly, though it was free of charge. We did not take breakfast and prefered to eat in the city. Front-desk guys were sweet and answered our questions pretty friendly. I wouldn't say the location was suberb, but metro-station was in walking distance.

Do I regret staying there? - No, I knew what to expect.
Would I stay there again? - Probably I would look for some other place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank VasilyMalygin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I recommend every young couple who are going to Paris to spend a romantic weekend. Hotel met my expectations, I was extremely happy with it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Rooms are quite small, but since you are in Paris, you will need them only for sleep, so it is not much of a problem. The prices are very reasonable (about 60€ for double), but do not expect anything fancy for your money. The location is also good, 5 min to metro-station and there are lots of brassieries and bakeries nearby. Staff at the reception was really helpful and nice.

Room Tip: room 57 - best view (street side, maybe bit noisier)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicholas274707
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Paris is expensive when it comes to hotels so this was a nice little budget find. Exactly what you expect from a 2* in Paris. There may be some better finds in the area but if you end up here, you'll be just fine. It wouldn't be my first choice but I would stay here again.
What we liked:
- the price
- clean
- friendly staff (rarer than you think in this city)
- elevator (also rarer than you think)
- free Wifi (with a very, very long password)
What could have been better:
- rooms were very small but had everything you'd need
- safe in the rooms was not working (or at least I couldn't get it to work) and it was never fixed despite notifying staff. However they were very nice about letting me put things in the safe in at the front desk.
- Breakfast: in a country of amazing bread, I was quite disappointed in the little croissants and other bread items provided in the buffet. I could have gotten better at a holiday inn in the state (no offense, holiday inn). There are boulangeries within 2 minutes in all directions - more effort needs to be made here.

Other than the breakfast, this hotel fully met my expectations but again, if you are looking for luxury, this isn't it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This is a small, clean and friendly hotel located less than a 10 minute walk from the Montparnasse Train Station. Tucked in on a side street, it has little street noise. The only noise I heard was from a school that must have been close by when the children came out for lunch or break. The rooms and bathroom are small but clean. Suitable for a single or couple looking for a few days away. I did take the breakfast so I cannot comment on that. I stayed here in September and October 2009 and would definitely return, especially if I wanted to be close to the Montparnasse Train Station (which has bus connections to CDG airport).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank BillYTO
Millersville, Maryland
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Triple room booked in April for 2 adults & a teen for 4 nights. Put in a ground room with double bed and a "camp" cot. Next to breakfast & reception areas, no ventilation as the cot blocked opening the window. Cot collapsed at 2:30 AM. A segment of the metal frame bent in the middle. Scared my granddaughter so bad she screamed, blood curdling screams for minutes until we calmed her down. Despite much noise in lobby front desk area durring the night no one responded to screams. Not sure anything could be done at that hour anyway. Put mattress on floor and addressed problem in the morning with "manager" Were offered a new bed - not a cot - or a second room at no additional charge. Ended up with a second room. All was ok until Monday, as we were leaving out for the day - we had pre-booked tickets for the Eiffel Tower. We were told we had to get everything packed in the rooms because we had to change rooms. I asked for the manager, and was told he'd be there in the morning. It was the morning!! Told the gfirl behind the desk "No", she neeed to get this straight with the manager. This was not what we were told about the rooms. We left. When we got back the night clerk told us we would be charged for the rooms for 2 nights. We said no, asked for the manager, and were told he would be there in the morning. The next morning we were presented with a bill for the originally agreed upon amount for 4 nights in a triple and paid it in cash. The second room was their offer, replacing the bed would have been agreeable as well.
YESTERDAY THEY CHARGED OUR CREDIT CARD 150 Euros!!!!!!!
We will, of course, fight this through the credit card company.
In general the hotel was what was to be expected for under 100 Euro a night, old, showing wear, no frills but in an area that was quite nice and between 2 metro lines. If not for the BS we've have used them on future trips.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank CherylInMainz

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2010

It was very unfortunate that there appears to be a problem with thefts and the hotel does not seem to be interested in assisting, even though there appeared to be surveillance video. My mother told me that she heard someone trying our doorknob two nights in a row! We were located just down the hall from the front desk, so I didn't think it to be possible. The theft occurred when our luggage was left in the lobby area, (beneath the counter where breakfast was served). An unlocked carry-on was entered and my mother's scarf and some food items were stolen. I sent 2 emails to the hotel, however NO RESPONSE FROM THEM!! I loved the location of the hotel, however I can't say I'd stay there again as the cleanliness was also in question. They sprayed way too much Febreeze (or similar), to the point that we had to ask them to not do that anymore. Most of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, some not so much. They need to deal with their theft issue, it's either staff or????

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends