“Convenient and friendly staff”
Review of Hotel de Roubaix

Hotel de Roubaix
Ranked #361 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Trier, Germany
“Convenient and friendly staff”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have stayed here twice and found the location very close to the Metro station Reamor-Sebastipol very convenient. The room we stayed in was big enough for two ( with two comfortable beds) The room and bathroom were clean and the staff friendly and helpful. They even booked. Taxi to take us to the airport. Breakfast was fresh juice, croissant and baguette with butter and jam. There is a coffee machine in the sun room, so you can have more than one cup! There is an elevator!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sharon W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I didn't know what to expect when I came to this hotel 2 years ago but was very satisfied with my stay in this family run hotel. The staff was always very helpful and ready to answer any questions. it looks a bit outdated but everyone was friendly.

The hotel looks quite different when I visited again in Feb 2012. The decor downistairs had changed for the best and it looks like fresh paint had been applied everywhere. The hotel still had the same charm. I heard that it was now run by a young enthusiastic owner. Again I was very satisfied. The staff was still very helpful and my room was very clean.The continental breakfast was plentiful and always fresh. . The position of the hotel is fantastic. 2mns from the metro and a short walk from the centre of Paris. For a budget hotel it is great value and I shall definitely used it again and recommend it to my friends

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Marie A
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stay from Feb. 18 - 25, 2012
Room: 48, on 6th floor

It was my second visit to Paris but my first visit to this hotel. I was actually a bit skeptical and scared because of the photos I found of this hotel. It didn't look as clean as I would have liked it to be and it always seemed to be a small place. However, I would stay at this hotel again for sure. My friend and I had a great experience and loved this hotel!

Owners:
The owner are a family and the manager is an older gentleman (I would say in his 70s). They quite nice and answered all of our questions. We didn't asked them many questions about the metro or museums/tourist attractions since we already knew what we wanted to do and visited the city already. However, they were always very approachable.

Hotel Amenities:
The hotel itself is 6 floors, but no worries, there is a lift. It is quite small but it does the job no problem.
In the rooms, there is a small safe. All you need to do is ask for the key from the reception and you're able to keep that key on you at all times. We felt very secure having our passports, money and mini laptop in there.
We got free WIFI in our room. Again, you need to ask the reception for a password but the connection was good enough for my friend and I to watch a movie and tv series online several times during our stay.

Hotel serivces:
Every single day, our towels were changed. It was a nice perk and it gave us reassurance that the cleaning crew was dedicated. It appeared that the washroom walls were dryed and washed down everyday. It also seemed that they vacuumed every day.
Breakfast was amazing and always fresh. They served half of a full baguette (just picture it being your shoe size), a croissant, freshly squeezed orange juice, an option between coffee and hot chocolate, jam and butter. After every breakfast, my friend and I were extremely full. It kept us for the whole day some days or at least until 2pm.

Room:
Our room was small, yes. However, the bed was super comfortable. We slept like babies every night. Plus, there was great heating and plenty of blankets over our very clean sheets. Granted, there were some stains on the blankets... but the sheets were spotless! No worries.
The decor was... well it was outdated. However, after a day, we got used to ours and barely even noticed. The walls may have stains on them too but it's not like we hugged the walls either. The basic thing you must know is that the beds were comfy.
The bathroom was small. There was no tub and only a shower with no curtain. So it was basically open to the whole bathroom. We needed to corner ourselves in order not to spray the whole bathroom with water but for a week in Paris, who cares! It can be done.

Location:
The hotel is on a rather quiet street however, at night, we heard a lot of ambulances... But we the windows closed, we didn't hear a thing and slept through the night.
It's close to markets here and there (Monoprix on Renamur I believe) and if you walk a few blocks down Grenata, you'll hit an area with a bunch of shops and restaurants, a nice evening dinner. It's extremely close to a metro (2 min walk).

Overall, stay at this hotel. You will not regret it. It might be rough around the edges and whatnot but for its price, it's worth the value and so much more!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Serena H
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2011

You get what you pay for. By that I mean at under $90 Euros a night for a hotel very close to the city centre what do you expect. We stayed at this hotel twice eight years ago. Nothing much has changed and so we were not surprised. The rooms are small but so what, we just needed somewhere to sleep. The bed was comfortable and when you closed the new looking windows there was virtually no street noise. When you opened the windows there was a great view up the street and usually a nice breeze blowing in. The bathroom is small and could use a real scrubbing along the shower bottom but was very serviceable and the water was always hot.
We did not have any issues with any of the staff and they were always helpful with any questions. Their english levels varied quite a bit. Breakfast is continental, meaning a croissant, bread, jam, butter, orange juice and coffee,tea or chocolate. We supplemented ours with fresh fruit, cheese etc from one of many of the local markets. One of our favourite things about the hotel is its location. Within a block of the number 4 metro station makes it very easy and quick to get to the centre and airport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilliamM1098
Ottawa
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We've stayed at this hotel 5 times in the last 10 years - when we walked in this time, I thought we had walked into the wrong hotel. One of the front desk clerks is an aspiring interior decorator and has talked the owners into "updating" this little hotel. I haven't stayed at any hotels where the artwork borders on comic strips (maybe it's the latest craze in Paris). The artwork alone took away from the old charm the hotel used to have - was it old and tired before, yes, but it had incredible charm and it was clean - now I didn't know what to expect. (it all reminded me of when I first start managing a resort hotel in central Ontario - the main restaurant overlooked the beautiful river and marina - well the staff were busy painting flowers on the windows, what are you doing I asked to which they replied, giving the guests something to look at, oh my god I said - can't you see the beautiful river and marina? But they couldn't, they had lived in the area all their lives and couldn't see the forest for the trees. - I think this is what has happened here)

Luckily we found out Monsieur Pierre was still running the place so we had some hope that our stay wouldn't be horrible.

So from our initial horror we came upon one of the rooms overlooking the street - they had painted the rooms so they were brighter now, it's just too bad they didn't connect the chandelier shade properly because it was all tilted - and yes this was the way it was attached as I tried to fix it. The bathroom was no longer as spotless as they were before - the shower grout was starting to show mildew and that would never have happened before with the older ladies that used to work there (it seemed only one was left - the rest younger men). The beds were fine but as we used to say - we were just sleeping there so style wasn't the priority.

Breakfast was the same as before adding a croissant with the baguette - a simple french breakfast - the room was clean - I once again didn't like the comic book artwork

Unfortunately for us it's time to find another hotel - thank you for all the memories - maybe you can do that again for others in the future - just remember that people are coming to Paris for all that is Paris - keep the "old" atmosphere - that's what makes Paris work

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Webbedfeet
Hull, Quebec
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Family of 4 with two young kids (6 and 8). Our room was no. 3.

Don't take me wrong but this hotel was very clean and the owner and other people were very very friendly and also booked us a taxi for our way to the airport on Saturday morning. The reason I am rating this place as terrible is because we stayed there for 5 nights and it is located between a busy street and the super busy and super noisy Boulevard Sebastopol plus, during our stay, I think there were a few groups of students, some Italian and others I don't know, and they were so noisy it was just crazy. Our room gave on the main street Grenata. Below us was the reception area and main door, above us another room. During our first night, for about 2 hours, the young guys above us made noise as if they owened the place. We could hear them through our ceiling and through the window. We couldn't sleep so I finally went downstairs to see the night person and he settled the problem. However, the room gave on the staircase, which is made of some rock and at the bottom is the reception area. It was so echo that we could hear everything that was being said in the reception. Then, on another night in the room next to us, people were listening to "We are the world" song at 1AM full-blast on the TV (or perhaps it's because the wall was about 2 inches thin that we could hear everything clearly).... The second night, the group of kids were coming-in at all hours of the night and were talking and sometimes yelling. At some point, I opened my door and made a "shhhhh" sound but they didn't hear because they were making too much noise. Third night we slept fine. Fourth night was super noisy. That night, the night-shift guy started freaking-out regarding parking spots and yelling at someone that it was crazy that there was no parking spots available at 2AM. I think he didn't realize he was yelling and the sound was making its way all the way up to our room through the stairwell. The advantage of this place was the price (100$ Canadian per night) including the "breakfast" which consisted of half a baguette, a croissant, orange juice, tea/coffee/hot chocolate, jam and butter. Disadvantage of the breakfast is during our stay, the group of kids took-over the breakfast area and we had to wait. Overall, if the hotel would have been located on a quiet street AND if there wouldn't have been groups of noisy kids, it would have been a good deal because it was clean and a very good price (the best price throught our 1 month stay through 11 hotels) and employees/owner were super freindly and welcoming (even the night shift guy yelling), but the location itself makes that I wouldn't recommend this place if you're expecting a quiet hotel. Perhaps if we would have gotten a room on the upper floors far from the reception area, it would have been different, but from our experience, we wouldn't go back. This hotel was suggested by Air Transat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank OutaouaisMan
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I Was checked in by a very unexperienced front desk clerk with no manners
The hotel manager should be a techer as he tries to educate the guests

rooms are small
internet connection is very bad
A HOTEL TO AVOID