“Not my favorite Rick Steves recommendation”

Hotel de la Tour Eiffel
Ranked #1,202 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not my favorite Rick Steves recommendation”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

A Rick Steves recommended hotel, however, not my favorite of his recommendations. I didn't spend a lot of time in my room, so my basic expectations for a clean and quiet room were met. The room bedding, however, left much to be desired. The bedspread which thankfully was removed after day 1 was nothing short of an import from former communist eastern Europe. Once the bedspread was removed, you were left with only a blanket and a sheet. A little skimpy for November.

This is a budget hotel and this is mostly noted in the rationing of towels and toilet paper. I had 3 towels on day 1 and by day 3, I was down to only 1. While towels were replaced with clean towels, the quantity never replinished to day 1 levels. This may be ok for guys, but girls who need to wrap their hair in a towel will be left a towel short. Most notable was the rationing of toilet paper. There was never an extra role, just the one on the ring. I literally checked out of the hotel having used the last sheet of toilet paper.

The staff were friendly, but neglected to tell me until day 3 that every time you leave you need to leave your key at the front desk.

Overall, the hotel was ok. It had a good location close to Eiffel Tower for an evening stroll as well as Rue Cler, which had some good cafes for lunch and dinner. Despite some of the other reviews, I found the hotel to be quiet with little street noise.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Amy A
reda b, Manager at Hotel de la Tour Eiffel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for your review very courteous, but I added a precision on the bedding,
for measuring HYGIENE, we protect the mattress with a waterproof cover. on toilet paper, overall use is important, sometimes at the end of stock, pending supply, there is a temporary restriction. We apologize for any inconvenience.
The hotel manager
B'regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We recently spent two nights here while in Paris. We enjoyed the location of the hotel in the Rue Cler neighborhood because of its close proximity to the Eiffel Tower - we actually walked from the hotel to Notre Dame, St Michel, etc which wasn't bad either. The shops and restaurants around the hotel are very convenient. As far as the room goes, it was small but certainly did the job. The bathroom was a tight squeeze but again for two people it was just fine. The bed was rock hard, but clean and it had a TV. My only complain overall of this hotel is that when I booked I was not told there was a different rate for weeknight & weekend, so we paid about 40 Euro more on a Saturday night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HammockMe
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently spent ten days at this hotel. I give it five stars because it is close to absolutely everything, it is in a very safe and friendly neighborhood with wonderful restaurants, transportation, shops, cafes, boulangeries, you name it, it is there even the spectacular Eiffel Tower which we could view the top of from our room. The rooms are small, our twin beds were about 1 1/2 inches apart, the rooms are very, very clean, staff is extremely helpful, neighborhood is quiet. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: It is a quiet neighborhood, and the hotel in general was very quiet, we were on the fifth floor with...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joan L
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 12, 2013

OK, so if you are looking for trendy, spacious, or elegant, don't stop here. If you are looking for something that is well-located, budget friendly, and accomodating (with a great boulangerie and coffee shop just a few steps down the street), then this is the place. The staff were helpful with everything we requested, and our room that faced the back courtyard was quiet. With only five rooms per floor, there wasn't the bustle through the night that you might find in a larger hotel. Near Rue Clere, the tower, an Orange store (helpful when trying to get more minutes on your cell), and a metro stop. The room and bathroom were compact, but it was what we expected for the price and location. After all, we are just looking for a place to sleep after busy days in the city!

Room Tip: Ask for a room toward the courtyard in the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Murph07
Bhopal, India
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had been to Hotel de la Tour Eiffel during my visit to Paris. It is at a walking distance to Eiffel Tower so you can go to Eiffel tower and enjoy river Seine cruise in the morning or afternoon.Many good restaurants are there near this hotel. Metro and bus service is also available so it is easy to visit any place in Paris. Take metro ticket or bus ticket for a day and you can visit a number of times.A bus is available from Eiffel tower to take you to important tourist places in Paris.Enjoy this tour of the city and get down near the hotel.it is central place in Paris.

Room Tip: It is a nice experience. Take rooms facing the main road to see outside view .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mcpaliwal
Washington
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were well prepared for our cultural challenges as an American in Paris for the first time and will definitely revisit this hotel. Yes, rooms are small but we were not there to stay in our room! Close to great cafés, shops and metro/bus stops, front desk were very pleasant. Try the Petite Trouquet Cafe across street for superb meals.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kathy H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My daughter and I stayed just one night at this hotel on a recent trip to Paris. The location was great, in a small and narrow little street within a short walk to the Eiffel Tower. The staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful, but when I went upstairs and opened the door to the room I was stunned at how tiny the room and bathroom were. Luckily, we really only put down our belongings, locked the door and spend the rest of the day and evening exploring Paris, only returning to the room to shower and go to bed. I paid approximately €150 for a twin room with bathroom and I know that it is central Paris, but still, the size of the room was just ridiculous. The beds were not comfortable at all and the pillows were a joke, one pillow on each bed, no spares and the thickness of a piece of toast. I had to double my pillow over just to sleep. The doors were the kind on hinges that invariably slammed when you tried to close them and I heard plenty of doors opening and slamming throughout the night and early morning as guests came and went. I am not at all familiar with Paris and I plucked this hotel from the Internet after a very quick search, I am sure that there must be better places than this in the same price range?! One thing I will add is that right around the corner on Rue Saint Dominque, there are a couple of amazing patisseries that sell a huge variety of pastries, cakes, croissants, etc. Skip breakfast at the hotel, buy a couple of pain au chocolats and head down to the Eiffel Tower and eat your breakfast on a bench overlooking one of the most beautiful and famous monuments in the world.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a room that is not facing the street as although it is not a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family