“A gem in the heart of Paris”

Le Mathurin Hotel & Spa Paris
Ranked #650 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I discovered a gem. The hotel is perfectly located in heart of Paris between Madeleine and Champs-Elysees area. The public space on the first floor is divided in several areas which make you feel at home when you select one to read the newspaper or one of the books at disposal. There is a nice honesty bar available there as well.
The rooms are very comfy and again, they exude a 'home' feeling. My room was 301, kind of small but OK as I was single on that trip, and very lovely. Decor is fresh, with a nice mix of hip and classic touches. I loved the ecclectic collection of books in my room. I extended my stay and they moved me to a larger room for one night, with a different decor. One more thing, the bathroom amenities (Anne Semonin) are top quality.
They are serving breakfast on the basement floor, although I preferred getting my latte and fresh croissant at Bert's right outside the hotel on the right hand side. They have a small fitness but I did not use it.
I'll definitely return.
One last convenient thing: you have a velib' (public bicycle service) station on the first left out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view in the inner courtyard as they are the quietest
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JC64Madeira

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here !

I was meeting a friend who was arriving from Australia who was the person who booked the room originally. I arrived from southern france first. When I arrived I learned that there had been a mix up with the credit card of the person who made the reservation. The agency who booked the reservation neglected to follow up on this..shame on them. However the Mathurin staff saved a room for us at the same rate. Bravo !

This won me over right away just for the consideration !

The hotel is beautiful inside, very clean, luxurious, small-ish but that's what makes it intimate.

The rooms are clean, linens top quality ! We didn't have breakfast here but it's available. We walked across the street to one of the cafes that line Blvd Haussman for a coffee and croissant (or two).

It's within easy walking distance to Gare St Lazarre train station and metro. Not far from blvd Haussman grand magasins, the opera and you can walk to rue de Rivoli and Champs Elysees if you have the time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Can't recommend enough. Gorgeously beautiful little Parisian boutique hotel. Perfectly updated, new and clean. Some of the very best service I have ever received in Europe. I stayed in room 55, with a lovely little balcony.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FalcoJava
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. The location was fantastic and only a short walk to everywhere. The rooms are small but you would expect that in Paris. The beds are comfortable and the lounge areas are really comfortable. The only niggle from everyone in our group is that the showers do not have great screens and you end up flooding the floor every time you have a shower. Makes the bathroom experience quite a pain and a bit dangerous.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Great location and a very hip hotel lobby. The location is very central . The rooms are very small but cozy and clean. The design is a kind of modern and typical Paris. The staff is not over friendly but professional. The breakfast is in the basement and not great, you don't want to stay down there. Get a nice bistro breakfast. Overall a good price/ value.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was so pleased to stumble upon Le Mathurin after searching high and low for a decent hotel during fashion week. At 410 euros a night for a last minute reservation during high season, it was a decent deal.

I appreciated the hotel's clean chic and modern decor - a must in my book because old, poorly maintained properties make my skin crawl. My room was very small and dark (first floor, with a white fence right outside the window), with barely enough room for a bed and desk. It was passable for me (traveling solo) but would have been tight for two people. I loved the decor, though - pretty grey walls with white moldings with modern furnishings. The bed and linens were decently comfortable.

Despite the room's size, there was plenty of storage with a closet for suitcases as well as one cupboard on each side of the bed. To save space, small bedside "nooks" took the place of nightstands.

I loved the bathroom, which was done tastefully in dark grey/black and white. It was clean and bright and spacious (!) with a large shower stall and L'Occitane toiletries that were refreshed with every service. I think good bathrooms have been a pretty reliable indicator of a hotel's overall quality.

If you like walking around Paris, you'll appreciate Le Mathurin's location. It's a pleasant 10 minute stroll to the Madeleine / Rue St Honore area as well as a quick walk from the major department stores.

Other notes: 1) They had a room available earlier for me which was very welcome given my early morning arrival; 2) There is a lovely bathroom downstairs in the restaurant area to freshen up before check-in; 3) I never tried the food or used the concierge so I have no comments; 4) There was an small but odd dark red stain on the carpet beside the bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a bright room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank citychic
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is a nice hotel, well located and decorated. My room was a bit small but overall comfortable and pleasant. However as many places in France the level of service was really inconsistent, unfortunately due to a severe lack of management. For instance, my room was not checked after the housekeeping and in different occasions, I have found dirty cubs left, iron table which was not mind, bathroom amenities missing, or mini bar not refilled. When I came back to my room late in the evening and I challenged the receptionist to get water in my room he said it was not his fault! Personally I hate such attitude which is quite common in France as when people working in retail or service industry are challenged always first denied their responsibility rather than sorting the issue first. This is about caring customers and at Le Mathurin there is an opportunity to improve. Overall, good hotel, but inconsistent service that can frustrate customers.

• Stayed: September 2013