“Quirky”

Alba Opera Hotel
Ranked #952 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
“Quirky”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is all about charm and quirkiness (note the Barbie dolls at the front window). The room itself was large for Paris standards, clean and a good size bathroom (no bath). The lady at the reception was super nice, she recommended as some awesome places to eat frequented by locals. If you love a proper coffee (latte or flat white) at KooKa Boora just around the corner - it was a saviour!!
Great location just away from the buzzing streets of Monmarte!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed in this lovely little hotel three times this year as it is near to where my daughter was living. The Alba Opera is a quirky hotel with a charm all of its own. If you want sleek and modern then it is not for you but otherwise I highly recommend it. Each time I stayed I have been in a different room and they are all clean and comfortable. If you are own your own and you don't mind a single bed there is a charming little room on the top floor. The staff at the hotel are incredibly friendly and helpful. On my last visit my daughter was moving out of her apartment to return to live in England. The kind people at the Alba Opera allowed us to store her two (very large) suitcases and several other smaller bags in their foyer for most of the day until it was time for our taxi to the Gare du Nord which incidentally is within walking distance if you are travelling light! Thank you to Nicolas and all the staff. We will be back, but next time we promise not to bring so much luggage.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BrigidFenwick
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stayed here for a surprise weekend for my wifes 40th birthday. it was fabulous. Small, friendly suave, very French, really nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisPearce1972
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 20, 2011

After reading other reviews in TripAdvisor, we booked this room on SkyAuction.com. WOW! is all I can say. ALL the staff were wonderful, and oh so helpful. The room is what you see, that's what you get (but no bath tub) and breakfast is included. The only caution is walking up those 9th Arr. hills.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank ZipsterM
Sydney
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Finding an hotel room in Paris during fashion week wasn't easy. I stumbled on the last room at the Alba Opera Hotel in an area of Paris I didn't know well. It is in the 9th but at the very top. Only a short walk away from the restaurants and fashion shops of Montmartre. Situated in a small cul de sac the outlook from our room was very "French". The room size was enormous. Big bathroom as well.(For Paris) We had our own kitchen equipped with a small fridge, microwave & sink. The owners have only been there for 3 years and are on a quest to make this hotel their "own". Lovely interior courtyard perfect for an afternoon aperitif. A wee bit tired in the corridors but it's the corridor so who cares? Wrought iron lift that I don't think Louis would have fitted in!!! Quirky deco. Feathered light fittings and the odd sighting of Barbie and Batman. I think it was fun & staff very kind & helpful.

Room Tip: We had the room that Louis Armstrong stayed in (!?!) Great size with the added bonus of a small kitc...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Hotel with contemporary design housed in a historical building. 75 year elevator adds to the charming atmosphere. Very Big and Clean Rooms. Real Spacious, unusual for Paris ! Its hard to find, secluded. But peaceful at night. Safe. No one around but the guests and residents. Surrounded by 4 metro stops. I miss Nicolas. He's so funny. He thinks he is Japanese and he listens to Cantonese songs. I'm glad I chose this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank YewFatt
Yateley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2011

ok, so i consider myself to be a little bit of a snob when it comes to hotels, in the sense that i like everything to be clean and look pretty. So if money would allow it, i will always stay in as-high-a-star rated hotel as possible. With planning a wedding, we were sticking to quite a strict budget on our trip to Paris. i tend to establish my price range and then figure out which hotel has the best reviews and go for that one. That's what i did with the Alba Opera. I wasn't blown away from the pictures and i could tell it def. wasn't a five star hotel by any stretch of the imagination. But upon arrival until we left, i was incredibly impressed with how the staff treated their customers. Yes the hotel wasn't particularly modern and could do with a bit of a revamp / spruce up but i really felt like everything that the staff had immediate control over, was perfect. They were incredibly courteous, kind and friendly. They offered great advice; Whenever we go to a new place, we like to ask the locals for the best places to eat etc and every recommendation that was provided by the staff came up trumps. Some say the breakfast was a little overpriced, and perhaps it was compared to going to a Boulangerie, but breakfast fast became my favourite meal of the day. The food was very fresh and plentiful. They would give you extra items upon request at no extra charge. They also said to us that we could have breakfast whenever we wanted to and that if we wanted it in our room, they would be happy to bring it to us.

The location of the hotel was fantastic and it had a great little boutiquey feel. There's one tiny tiny lift that will take you to all the floors but this isn't big enough if you were in a wheelchair for instance. As the hotel was located just up a side street, it was very quiet at night. Overall, the room was very clean with fresh linens. The room did smell a little bit stale (i'm assuming it used to be a smoking room) but with everything else really impressing me, this was a non-factor. the free WIFI was an added a bonus :-)

I would def. recommend as a pleasant place to stay when in Paris.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple