“Functional and fairly comfortable, but lacking ambience of Paris”

Hotel Concorde Montparnasse
Ranked #815 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Pros: This is a functional hotel. I paid 60 euros/night to upgrade to a "deluxe" room, which was hardly deluxe but quite comfortable and quiet. The restaurant is good and the bar is small but nice. Breakfast downstairs is decent. The free internet is reliable.

Cons: Location, location, location. At one corner of the Gare Montparnasse complex, this is a charmless part of Paris. Coming out of the hotel you are faced with concrete. Big buses idle to the left, trucks to the right. Around the corner, the crowds around the Montparnassse station are not inviting. To be sure, you can walk to the Blvd Montparnasse area in 10 minutes. I wish that I had researched this better and chosen a more centrally located hotel for my brief trip to Paris (the hotel was chosen by the organizers of the conference that I was attending).
The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, but the hotel seems understaffed.
For each of the five days I stayed here the lobby was crowded with large tour groups. This is fine if you are a member of the group, but not so nice if you are alone.
There is no fitness center or gym, which is normal for a mid-priced hotel in Paris, but if you like to run its a 20 minute jog to the Jardin Luxembourg (which is a wonderful place to run).
Bottom line: The lack of charm in this corner of Paris means I am not coming back to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, its worth upgrading to a "superior" or "deluxe" room. The l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jk61-California
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

jk61- California,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Concorde Montparnasse Hotel. We took good notes of your comments about the fitness centre and will take them into account for the future.

For your next stay, you should try “Le Petit Journal”, which is a famous Jazz Bar, in the same street or some theatres right around the corner.

The Montparnasse area has a rich cultural and artistic past. You can find the Galeries Lafayette, a famous French department store, many shops, bars and theaters into the rue de Rennes, the rue d'Alesia and the rue de la Gaîté. It is only a few steps away from our Hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again,

Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,215)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Spent a week in the hotel. Very nice and comfortable, in the middle of Montparnasse area - nice location. Personal was very helpful - when there was a huge queue of Chinese tourists waiting to reception, somebody from the reception pull me off and checked-in very quickly.
Very nice room, quiet, comfortable, free internet, coffee set was available and refreshed. Nothing to complain.
A little bit crowded in evenings, but there is good choice of restaurants outside. A live jazz concert in the hall was a good surprise.
Bottom line: recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Vladimir T

Dear Vladimir T,

Reading your comments motivates us to continue providing high level of services. Please note that apart from the rooms, we do have free Wifi in common areas.

We hope to welcome you once again on your next trip to Paris.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

After viewing may hotels, I was very happy with my choice of this hotel which I booked over the net. Its is perfectly located to the Air France bus stop (just down the road-50meters) and one of the entrances to the train station, where u can take the underground to several city locations. Suited us pefectly as we took it to Trocadero, where we hooked up with the hop on /offf bus to tour the local sights. Very convenient. Room / bathroom was lovely and comfortable equipped with tea/coffee and a kettle. Added touch of bathrobe and slippers was a luxury touch. Also very close to 2 convenient stores(opposite) for any snacks etc.

Room Tip: As it is a very large hotel, suggest u have to request a specific room close to lifts or if u want...
1  Thank Ferial

Dear Ferial,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
We were delighted to read your comments, we are always very pleased when guests enjoyed their stay with us at the Concorde Montparnasse Hotel.

We hope that you will stand by again for your next trip

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel is well located for experiencing the venues of Paris and close access to metro and pedal bikes. A brief walk out of the hotel and to the right gives a first glimps of paris at night; the tower in its full glory, down hill walk (up hill on the way back!). The rooms were fresh and clean; hit floor 7 internal quadrant and will have a quiet night. The hotel is locatyed on a quiet concord and so night noise is not an issue anyway. The staff were friendly and were happy to converse in English. We had breakfast and used the bar; breakfast is value for money if you can get it inclusive; otherwise 19 euros! Not sure about family rooms bjut this is a quality business type hotel; which waqs full with tourists of all ages and nationalities. a pleasant experience.
It was our 30th wedding celebration (7 visit to Paris) so when you see couples we are seasoned travellers!

Room Tip: Floor 7 internal quadrant; quiet as a mouse.
1  Thank TheSmiths8771
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you so much TheSmiths8771 for your detailed feedback and your tips. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority.
Please make us the pleasure to come back again!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Since this was our first visit to Paris I was very careful about choosing a hotel for our stay as we had heard of some not so nice places. I spent quite a bit of time on the internet checking prices, locations and reviews. We wanted a modern hotel with good access to the city center but also good access to the rail network. We were extremely pleased with our stay at the Concorde Montparnasse. The room was as very nice, the breakfasts (which were included in our rate) were very good (with both hot and cold items), and the location is very handy to several metro stations and a major train station. A bonus for us was that the Air France shuttle bus took us right to the nearby rail station. And....the hotel rate was reasonable for the type of hotel that I was expecting. The room we had was absolutely quiet and the heating and cooling is outstanding. The hotel is located off of the main streets so there is no traffic noise.

2  Thank Old_Silver_Fox_SK

Thanks to your comments Old_Silver_Fox we are able to improve our service and hence reach maximum satisfaction amongst our customers. The Concorde Montparnasse is only 15 minutes by metro to the major tourist attractions such as the Champs Elysées, the Louvre Museum, or St Germain des Prés and our hotel is located next to the Gare Montparnasse (300 m from the hotel), which counts 4 metro lines. We hope to welcome you once again on your next trip to Paris.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I spent 4 days at this wonderful hotel. for pleasure. The staff from reception to housekeeping were very friendly. The room was large with a great comfortable bed and large bathroom (compared to other Europe hotel rooms). Breakfast had a great variety to choose from and the staff kept on refilling the food with fresh food. It was about 30 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower but straight down the road - easy to get to. Had a great stay and would recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: Ask for one that you can see the Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Frances K

Reading your comments Frances K motivates us to continue providing high level of services. Don't hesitate to contact us on your next trip to make sure you get an Eiffel. Tower view (upon availability). The Hotel Concorde Montparnasse is only 15 minutes the Louvre Museum and the Champs Elysées by metro. For your next stay, you should try and take metro line 4 (direction Porte de Clignancourt) which is only 4 stations from St Germain des Prés in the Latin Quarter, but you might have tried that on your last stay. Looking forward to welcoming you once again, Regards

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first time to Paris and I believe the excellent service I received from this hotel made my trip more enjoyable. The accommodations were quite comfortable and the hotel is very nice and clean. I felt quite pampered during my stay. I was a bit nervous since I speak very little french however, everyone I spoke with at the hotel understood me and spoke English. I would recommend the breakfast buffet. This is a good way to start your morning and the selection is very impressive. I wanted to see a lot of the Paris attractions and this hotel is convenient to quite a few of them. I had a rental car and the hotel offers a garage so parking was very easy. The garage was an extra charge but I have paid much more at other hotels to park so for me it seemed very reasonable. I would just like to thank the management and staff for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cerberus955
BRUN0_R0BERT, Directeur général at Hotel Concorde Montparnasse, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

We are extremely pleased that you fully appreciated your stay at our hotel and your comments motivates us to continue providing high level of services. It would be an honor to have you back again.