“Problems from the start”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Hotel

L'Hotel
Ranked #518 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
London
“Problems from the start”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

I booked directly through the hotel website. Received confirming email,but then told that hotel was fully booked and they had no record of my booking.I sent them my confimation from hotel email.Night concierge tried to argue that "non,madame,you booked for the 13th not the 18th" when it was clearly the 18th!
Day concierge managed to fit me into a junior suite on top floor.
(not cheap!) Beautiful room.
First night I was in a rush,no hot water in shower. They sent helpful plumber who fixed it on 30 minutes but I was getting desperately late for my party so thought bath might be better.
About to fill up bath, thought I saw a few pubes. Glasses on and realised that at least 10 in bath! Eugh!
Breakfast in dining room was at the mercy of very uppity waiters who were hovering around ignoring me and fixing lunch tables,even though I was within the cutoff time.Bored sighs when I asked for eggs.Cold coffee arrived,waiter poured it and missed,went in saucer,which he just left and sauntered off.
I would recommend hotel only for the location.
It is pretty, but very very run down.Huge bill ,especially if you consider the disgraceful state of bath and the general haughty treatment by dining room staff.

• Liked — Pretty room.Helpful front desk staff.
  • Disliked — Dirty bathtub,no hot water in shower problem and haughty dining room staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
23 Thank CarolineLondon1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2008

OK, all. You have to love the location, two blocks from St. Germain des Pres. Galleries, food, all of that!
The hotel is good and fine and all of that, but needs to improve on a bit of service. For a four-star, we were a bit surprised. Just a bit tattered, but is that what to expect in Paris???
They try, but just don't have all of the resources to be what they are ranked.
For the rate, though, it's really a very good choice. Location, location, location!
Cheers to Graciela, for taking care of us. She's fab.
And all of you, pack your swimsuits, because the private pool for two downstairs, and steamroom, are such a luxury in Paris! Revives the weary legs from climbing the Arc du Triomphe or Sacre Coeur!!!
Cheers.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shabby
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
NewYork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

Beautiful, quaint, personal hotel in ideal location. This should be hands down one of the top hotels in the city. But it is not. Here are few reasons why we thought our stay was mediocre:

- run down. management has clearly cut back on maintenance. for example wood panneling around the bathtub was wrotten to the point that there was no paint left, just the wrotten wood.

- light in the walk-in closet (good size) was a bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling

- safe had loose nuts and bolts inside.

- a/c did not work well. room never really managed to cool down so had to sleep with the window open

- our room had a bathtub but no shower ! unaceptable in this day and age.

- nowhere to leave your towel hanging in the bathroom. I searched for a hook everywhere and finally opted for the floor.

- shouldn't a hotel like this have proper hangers? they think otherwise and have the anti-theft version more adecuate for a 3 star and very unpractical.

- the beautiful staircase smells of chlorine from the pool in the basement. takes away the charm of the place

Few good things :

- location
- well priced and plentiful continental breakfast albeit a selection of only two cereals.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — general decay of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank totalhoteladdict
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

Myself and my partner checked in on Sunday at around 12pm but our room wasnt ready. We were advised to have a drink at the bar while we waited and were charged for it. The room itself was fine and had a nice balcony (5th floor) overlooking the small patio beneath. The hotel itself is compact but has 6 stories excluding the ground floor. The breakfast area, restaurant and bar are all the one but the seating is very comfortable. Beware though in Paris most gourmet restaurants are closed on Sundays and Mondays but we didnt expect the restaurant in the hotel to have this policy also. The only food available was roomservice. The staff were very friendly and were more then ready to accomodate our dining requirements - we decided on a restaurant on the top floor of the Monparnasse tower - cant remember the name. The temperature in Paris at this time was hot and we expected the airconditioning in our room to be working, I asked the receptionist the reason it wasnt and she told me that the hotel has a policy not to have airconditioning turned on until May 13th.
All in all a nice hotel, not cheap even for Paris but it is not a five star hotel - 4 star max.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Because of the old decor (curtains, furniture etc) I found the air in the room stuffy and quite dusty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rumplestyltskin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

My wife and I have pretty high expectations for hotels in this price range. Beautiful/ cool decor, reliable staff, and a perfect location made our stay a value for the money.

The interior is elegantly stuffed with luxury, comfort and quiet in equal measure. Our room was on the less expensive side of the ledger, but nonetheless was a decent size, particularly for Paris ...and smack in the middle of St Germain!

The food was great; contemporary and creative, without being too fussy. We had a few special requests for the staff (no jumping through hoops, mind you) Champagne at 4pm, and some help with shopping bags -- They were diligent.

I suppose i just can't stop thinking that it was a comfortable place; a good soft bed with beatiful decor. Best Paris for us yet.

Stayed February 2008
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

L'Hotel is a real gem. Done up with real artistry, and yet with a lightness of touch geared to complete comfort, it was luxurious without being over the top or self-conscious, incredibly convenient for all the things we wanted to do, and really restful. On the one occasion we dined in (the last night), I really regretted we hadn't done it earlier. The chef needs a medal. I don't think I've stayed in a nicer hotel in the whole of Europe.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

We adored L'Hotel - I don't think a dreamier hotel actually exists. We've stayed there three times now, each in a different room, and each one gorgeous. Everything about it is super stylish, like you've walked in to a novel by Colette, all silks and velvets, beautiful antiques, bath tub with huge brass taps... The rooms are so comfortable, and the attention to detail is really good. This place is surely the last word in luxury!

• Liked — Stylishness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple