“Perfect Paris Hotel”
Review of L'Hotel

L'Hotel
Ranked #634 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Lovely base in the center of Paris. Great charm and ambience, fabulous quirky rooms.
Very helpful staff but not easy to get served in the bar at times. Excellent location for restaurants and sightseeing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Siamsa

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We didn’t stay here, but we stopped by for a Sunday afternoon drink. We wanted a place where we could sit, talk, and drink champagne and L’Hotel was fantastic. The service was exceptional (the staff recommended a cheaper champagne for us to order). We loved the fact that this was a hidden gem and that it was empty, as that is the ambiance that we were seeking. The cocktails were delicious as well and very elegantly served.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Carolina B
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As an Independent business traveller journeying to Paris with a few days to relax - the last thing I needed was to be surrounded in romantic soft settings or covered with over ostenscious gold tapped decor. I accidentally came across a book of Parisian Hotels and decided to go find this 'cool, smart, secret enclave with a hint of louchness'. However, I had my doubts, after all this is the place where Monsieur Wilde quipped ‘either that wallpaper goes, or I do’. Thankfully the wallpaper has evolved, tastes have been refined and expectations have been surpassed - the L'Hôtel did deliver the goods and more. You can even bring your well behaved pets with you! The rooms are delightful - from themed and (almost) minimalist Mistinguette Chic to the very colourful Pierre Loti - Mignon, Bijoux, Grand, Chic. Not for die-hard modern design lovers, or for functionalists - as the street noise can be distracting (or richly ambient) The furniture and storage is limited but fine if your can think creatively and happy to invest $$$$$. Its also very helpful if you learn the phrase 'Je ne parle pas beaucoup de français.' (I don't speak much French) and usually at this point, depending on your pronunciation, whoever is serving you will switch to English and you can communicate your needs beautifully ...... This hidden gem is beautiful, and one of the coolest yet friendliest places to stay in Paris. J'Taime, J'Taime dans L'Hôtel Rue Des Beaux Arts 75006

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Tassanum
Reviewed October 26, 2012

wonderful place with super nice and friendly and helpful staff.
reserve the pool - it's free and private and wonderful.
i don't have much more to say but my review can't get published unless i keep talking.
bar is really nice and cool! great drinks!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovestotravel156
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After a long month of business travelling, myself and my partner checked into this little hidden gem to unwind and have some down time - and it absolutely did not disappoint. This is possibly one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in, and definitely the coolest place i've stayed in Paris. With St.GErmain being my favourite neighbourhood, it was lovely to stay there, on the rue des beaux arts. This property is totally unqique, and exceptionally special. The staff are absolutely welcoming, which comes as a pleasant surprise in normally surly paris! We were fortunate enough to stay in one of the suites on the top floor, and with the amazing views over the parisian rooftops, felt like I'd been transported back in time to a lovely Belle Epoque version of paris! Absolutely do not skip having an evening aperitif in the hotel bar - it feels deliciously decadent and they sure know how to mix some serious drinks!
This is definitely not a budget way to stay in Paris, but if its boutique and clever chic that you want to splash out on, then L'Hotel really is the one to treat yourself to.

Room Tip: Find the budget for one of the bigger rooms, as the "mignon' ones are infamously small!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and booked a junior suite for over 600 euro per night for 4 nights. The room (Number 40) is very nice and spacious. There is a separate tub and roomy shower. The problem is that there is no air circulation in the room. The daytime highs were in the 60's at the time and the room got very stuffy if the windows were closed. The trouble with opening up the windows is that the room overlooks the street, so there is lots of noise and it's difficult to sleep. They said that they converted the air conditioning to heat a few days before we got there but given that there was only one vent in the bedroom, I don't think that would have helped anyway. The vent in the bedroom is above the window, so if you close the curtain, you will be cutting off the air supply. What a design. We did not see a vent in the sitting area. We have stayed in many historic hotels and others have figured out how to do this effectively. We had to ask for a portable fan, which helped a little. However, at prices like this, that is a real disappointment.
Our friends who accompanied us stayed in room 60, also at over 600 euro per night for a junior suite. They had air conditioning in their room. The problem is that it is on the top floor so they had the roof lines to deal with. Their closet was very small and they did not have much room to hang their clothes. Luckily, they are very short or they would have hit their head on the ceiling.
I think that for the price, we could have done much better elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pat B
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2012. I had a small ("mignon") room. The decor (by Jacques Garcia) was one of the main reasons I chose this place, and it did not disappoint. It had just started raining in Paris that day and I didn't want to leave the room, it was so cozy and comforting. It also had one of the most comfortable beds (mattress by Vi-Spring -- I checked) that I've ever had the pleasure to sleep in.

Don't expect a large, spacious room. In fact, the bathtub/"shower" was cramped, something they could easily solve by installing a sliding glass door on the tub instead of the billowy shower curtain, which takes up a lot of room inside the tub.

My only real complaint was that the elevator (I was on the 4th floor) reeked of mildew -- so much so that I started taking the stairs. Management: this needs to be remedied ASAP!

Overall, a very wonderful place with a magical feel of a bygone era. The house brand scent (which they sell in the lobby) smells like Easter high mass at Notre-Dame: very heady, romantic, somewhat ecclesiastical and quite intoxicating -- I still haven't gotten it out of my system.

Much is made of the fact that Oscar Wilde spent his last days in this location, but at the time it was a seedy residence hotel. Oscar should come back and spend a few days here now. He would love it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo