See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

What good things can I say about this hotel? None. The man on reception had an “I can’t be bothered attitude” no lift, we’re a family of 4, 1 who is disabled, I wish I’d of taken heed before booking this hotel - no lift, no help up 3 flights of stairs (the stairs are awful) after lugging the kids up the stairs and our suitcases we walked into what must of been a hostel type of room, I’m sorry but right there and then we decided to book a different hotel - this wasn’t good enough for our needs. 1 double bed and 1 single bed for 4 people? We went down to speak to the man on reception about this but he wasn’t about to get out of his seat let alone help us out. So, we decided to lug everything down the 3 flights of stairs straight out the door and to a different hotel. This hotel is very basic. If your just a couple then this may suit you but certainly not for a family.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2017

The hotel was pleasant enough and in a fairly good location. The area felt safe and was lively enough, with a nice restaurant just across the road (La Nouvelle Etoile). Very close to Gambetta metro, although we felt a little out of the action in the 20th. Our room was clean and modern, but very basic. The wifi cost around 15 euros for 3 devices for the stay, so wasn't extortionate, although the connection wasn't great. The staff were fine and I would recommend if you're looking for somewhere simple to stay.

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2017 via mobile

When we arrived the guy on reception was quite rude and unwelcoming, however the other staff we encountered were helpful and friendly and even helped us with teaching us how to ask for out room key in French (after my failed attempt, but he appreciated my effort)

You do have to give your key over each time you leave, which I found a little strange but guess it's better then risking losing it.

The hotel doesn't have a lift just a small narrow stair case.

First of all we were given a dirty room. Dirty, used towels on the floor, wet floor and I made bed. Mum went down to complain, and we were quickly moved to a different, bigger better room.

The plug has been removed for the bathtub rendering it useless. The glass shower screen seemed very unsecure and unsafe, but it did the job of keeping water off the bathroom floor.

Our room was cleaned and towels changed daily.

While the room is a little basic it met our needs of just needing a bed, bathroom, power points and close to the train station.

There is a convenience store just down the road and a McDonald's close by.

Do ask for a higher floor as there is a bar next to the hotel that can be a little noisy but didn't disrupt our sleep too much.

Overall, while cheap, the hotel was clean and when you're only sleeping there and spending your days sightseeing you don't need anything flash.

I would stay again if I'm ever back in Paris

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank Kerri2084
Reviewed July 26, 2017

Well, guys Hipotel Gambetta is a really descent hotel, especially taking into account its low prices. Although, the way some people of the staff behave makes the whole emperience worse than it really is. Particularly, we had a really bad "welcome" as the receptionist informed us that our reservation had been cancelled (due to a technical issue with our cards...) only after our arrival(!). Consequently, we had no choice but booking a room for more (of course) money. As far as the rooms are concerned, they are quite big and in good condition. Quite a lot of public transportation choices, but watch out as time goes by the choices become less and less... Undoubtedly pay attention to the fact that there is no free Wi-fi (well, generally in Paris). It costs 2 euros pes day and unfortunately the connection is pretty bad. Be prepared. Enjoy your stay in Paris :)

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2016

Stayed at Hipotel Gambetta for 3 nights with my grandson - discovering Paris.
The room was fine. Surprisingly spacy - considering the price, which was very reasonable.
The location (near to Metro) perfect.
Wi-Fi available (small fee to be paid)
A good restaurant with excellent service, apparently much appreciated by many, many "natives" located next door: perfect for breakfast, for a meal or for a goodnight drink.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family