“Amazing stay”

Ranked #881 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Mission Viejo, California
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

The hotel service was excellent, for American who don't speak to much French we had a great time, a market across the street had all you need.Many Restaurant all in walking distance with great service and great food, and a metro station down the street got us to all the landmarks in the City

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zetroc2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Location:
The location is amazing! It's about a 10-15 minute walk from Gare du Nord, a main train station in Paris that connects the city with the airport. The hotel is a 2 minute walk from Le Peletier, a metro station, which is extremely convenient when travelling around Paris. The location of the hotel is well situated, with a supermarket, pharmacy and several bistro/restaurants on the same street as the hotel. Also, the hotel is close to Galeries Lafayette and Printemps, fancy department stores with immense shopping options. The location is extremely central- it is minutes from Montmarte and Sacre Coeur, and also easily accessible to areas south of the Seine, including Montparnasse and tourist attractions of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe.

Breakfast:
Breakfast is an additional fee of 8.90 € per person, per day. The breakfast is a Continental buffet style and very, very delicious! Cereals, croissants, breads, coffee, tea, juice, etc. There is a wide selection and very much worth the fee. The breakfast room is cosy and clean, with an inviting atmosphere that adds to the pleasure of the stay.

Service:
Tomas, who we met in the morning of our arrival, was a great help. He was extremely friendly and very obliging. We asked him a couple of ignorant tourist questions and he was happy to help us out. So thanks Tomas! We also met an older gentleman who was working at reception when we checked out. He was a little abrupt but overall the service from reception was very satisfactory.

Room:
We had a double room, with an en suite bathroom and courtyard view. There is also a shared bathroom option. The en suite bathroom was large in size and was equipped with a bath and shower attachment, toilet, basin, hairdryer and mirror. The bathroom was clean and tidy, which was very much appreciated. The position of the bathroom window above the bath was a little questionable, as half the time you're in the bath, you're worrying whether those in higher rooms can see in. A scarf over the window fixed that easily. I guess I was being paranoid, right?!
The bedroom itself was large and comfortable. I have no complaints with the bed- it was comfortable and soft. There was tv access and free wifi within the hotel. The courtyard view was pretty, even in cold, dark winter. I'm guessing it would be beautiful in summer. The room also came with a space for luggage and storage, as well as a safe and phone to contact reception. There is also a fan, and radiators in the main bedroom and bathroom. Overall, I was extremely happy with the room.

Conclusion:
Yes, I would definitely recommend this hotel. The price is acceptable for the services and location provided by the hotel. I was extremely happy with my stay- no complaints whatsoever. I would definitely come back and actually can't wait to stay here again for my second trip to Paris. This hotel is a great gem within central Paris. You wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor with a courtyard view. It was lovely to open the window in the morni...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank bankr0bber
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 24, 2014

It wasn't my first time in this hotel but surely it was the last one!
The room is small and dark with very small open closet and the bathroom is really tiny but the hotel's location is quite comfortable and there is a free wi-fi in the room so overall it seems like a good deal for it's price but the rudeness and even an attempt to take advantage of a situation - that's not worth any price!

Although the night staff is nice the owner/manager is only try to appear nice but really want to use you: Since we had a night flight and I became a bit ill because of the cold weather, we wanted to pay for a late check out in order to get a warm shower and arrive more refresh to the flight. We did a late check-out several times before in different hotels including in other Parisian hotels and it's usually cost around 40-50% of the room cost (one time in Paris we even got it for free after stay of 4 nights because the hotel wasn't full and the clerk was nice!)
When I asked in the night before we left the night clerk about the possibility of a late check-out he told me that he has no authority to do it and I should ask the owner in the morning. So in the morning we left I did that, the owner admitted that the hotel is not full and it could be done but he suggested to charge the full rate for the night. When I tried to explain him that it's not the customary rate to pay a full night rate for a delay of several hours from the check-out time, he said that the price I've paid for the room was reduced (I paid and charged 3 months in advance in an "early bird" rate). A check in the web site of the hotel showed that the rate he wanted for the service is still the same as it was when I've paid (I assume because the hotel was quite empty I could get the same rate without paying in advance, so the excuse of change in the rate wasn't valid) meaning he wanted a full night rate for doing nothing but delay the cleaning of the room in a day when the room is not needed anyway since in a late check-out service you don't get a cleaning to your room.
I assume that because he could see I have a cold and not feeling so well he was trying to take advantage of my situation - instead of being helpful after we've stay there (this time) for 5 nights and after we paid the full rate 3 months in advance, he decided to repay us by being exploiter and rude! (needless to say we didn't do the late check-out and didn't pay the excessive amount he demanded for nothing!)

Room Tip: Rooms in the street side is noisy - you hear early in the morning the garbage trucks and whenever so...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RachelTelAviv_Israel
hotelMonteCarloParis, Propriétaire at Hotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Valued Customer,

We thank you for having chosen our hotel for your stay and regret your decision not to stay here again. However, you shall always be welcome here. And we thank you for your opinion on Tripadvisor.

With regards :
1°) late checkout : we have no comment on the late check-out policy of other hotels, since each hotel has it's own manner of proceeding, and we have ours. On our website, we inform our customers that « We are unable to guarantee any early check-in or late check-out. », and also that « Free luggage storage for hotel customers : a few hours at arrival and/or departure. »

In your precise case, you wished to stay from 12pm until 8pm, we proposed the price of 78 euros but you wished to keep the room for free or for a maximum of 30 euros after negotiation. Your request was therefore refused. Thereupon we proposed to keep your luggage for free till the evening, and a free coffee was offered to you while awaiting the taxi to the airport.

Hotel service and hospitality do correspond to vocational catering, but sometimes cannot be free of charge, especially with regards programmed room occupation.

2°) Concerning your payment several months in advance, in fact at the time you reserved, you had the choice between payment on arrival and the prepaid non refundable offer that was more advantageous with regards price. This website information was also sent to you clearly in the framework of your reservation confirmation, we can resend the e-mail to you, if you wish.

Hoping to have provided the answers to your questions and doubt, we nevertheless remain at your disposal for any further query.

Cordially,

The Hotel Manager
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We came home today after 3 nights in Paris, staying at the Monte Carlo on the strength of TA reviews. I can only echo the good things that other reviewers have said about this hotel.

1 - It's location is excellent; we didn't use the Metro at all and walked to all the attractions (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Invalides, Arc de Triomphe...) without too much effort. In the evening we were spoilt for choice of bars and restaurants, usually starting with 'happy hour' cocktails in the bars around the Rex theatre and then trying to choose between the fabulous selection of local restaurants (French, Italian, Lebanese, Japanese, Chinese... all nations' dishes on offer!). The neighbourhood feels safe and has a good vibe, day and night.

2 - The rooms are clean and 'shabby chic' - two good size single beds (forming a double), with a TV (BBC1 in English), clothes storage, a safe, writing desk and en-suite (nice shower!). The decor is simple but has character (purple walls with dark teal woodwork, black tiled floor) and the room was lovely and warm, with a winter-style bed (sheet, blanket, throw). We didn't find the street particularly noisy but we are used to road noise at home - if you are a light sleeper, it might be an issue but you are in the middle of a capital city, I'm not sure what else people expect?

3 - Great value and service - attentive but unobtrusive concierge (24hr manned front desk) who very politely tolerated our French, spoke slowly to let us practice and then asked if we would prefer the finer details in English! Daily linen/towel change, which realised after day 1 that we were enjoying some rare lie-ins and thereafter came late morning. Half the price of the nearby Ibis hotel and much better quality.

Our tip would be to pack comfy shoes and use the Monte Carlo as a base to walk around the sights, taking in much more of Parisien life than you ever imagined. We walked to/from Gare du Nord in about 15-20 mins and took the RER B to/from CDG airport (9euro).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel and will definitely stay here again when in Paris.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget, the shared bathrooms looked very pleasant and not crowded. We enjoyed our se...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pic0pic0
France
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Hands-down our favorite hotel. The price is fantastic, the place is so colorful, clean, and full of character. I don't go to Paris much these days but my husband does for business and he always chooses to stay here.

Room Tip: Be careful about parking around the hotel. The streets look identical and there are lots of restrict...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LovingFrance
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 days at the Monte Carlo a couple weeks ago and loved our experience. Very low key, boutique feel in a fantastic neighborhood! Plenty of great restaurants around, and bars and little shops. Close to multiple metro lines, and very convenient location. The room itself was nice and clean, bathroom was recently renovated so it was nice as well. Were used to european hotel room sizes so no surprises there, but we were very comfortable. Only small downer was the poor wifi connection but not a deal breaker at all. All in all a great value hotel considering this is Paris. We will definitely stay here our next stop in Paris next year.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline Z
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for five nights the first week of December. I myself, had been to Paris 6 times previously, but had never stayed in this particular area, but after reading the previous reviews of this hotel, felt very comfortable making my reservations here. I was not disappointed.

First, let me say, I have stayed in 3 star all the way to 5 star hotels here, and yes, you can find very large rooms in Paris...usually with a very large price tag. Our trip came up quickly because of an airfare sale, and since we were traveling with a couple of people who had never been to Paris before, we wanted the trip to be economical and yet be able to show them a great time. Staying here allowed us to do both.

That being said, our room was small, but tidy, well organized and very clean (my most important factor when considering writing a review here!). It was however, more than adequate with plenty of closet space, and shelves in order to put things away, and keep our suitcases out of the way. There was also a handy hook over the bathroom door to hang your travel bag. Nice touch! Our room overlooked the courtyard on the 1st floor, and we had peace and quiet the entire week whenever we were in the room (which isn't a lot since you are in Paris!) The bed was SO comfortable....pillows as well....and the room temp was just perfect. You control it in your own room and we never touched it. The room was also equipped with a tv. We hardly used it except to check CNN daily to make sure we weren't missing any big news.

Our flight landed and we got to the hotel around 11:30am. Thomas welcomed us warmly. We were well ahead of the 3pm check in time, so he graciously stowed our luggage, and gave us a map and showed us the quickest way to get to the Tourism office in order to pick up the Paris passes we purchased before hand. With map in hand, we stormed Paris! We actually didn't come back to the room until later in the evening. (Here's a tip...as soon as you get to Paris, get on THEIR time...Fight the urge to take a nap after your overnight flight....we never were jet-lagged there, and since getting home several days ago, not jet lagged here either!)

Of course we saw all of the sights. Thomas and another really nice man were usually at the front desk to say "au revoir" in the morning. They always asked where we were headed and if they could help us with directions or another handy map (they became invaluable pieces of our trip!). The morning we left, while we were waiting for the shuttle, they even brought us coffee to enjoy in the lobby. Such a nice touch. We always felt like welcomed guests here!

The location was perfect. Several metro stops within a few blocks, lots of great restaurants in the area, and we discovered the oldest confectionary shop in all of Paris, established in 1761, right down the street! I had never been there, and found the place enchanting....and wonderful for those last minute gifts for home! Galleries Lafayette was a short walk away, as was the Paris Opera Garnier, and we found ourselves drooling over the foods at Lafayette's Epicerie on a few occasions (another great place to buy things to take home!)

They did offer a light breakfast here for 8.90 euro each. It consisted of coffee, orange juice, cereal, applesauce, and fresh croissants and baguettes every morning. We did take advantage of it a few days because it was convenient.

In conclusion, I would most definatly stay here again. It was a great value, very clean, and the people here were warm and welcoming. What more could you ask for? That and just being in Paris, made this a most exciting and wonderful week!

Room Tip: If you want a bit of a quieter room, off the street, ask for the courtyard side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends