“Wonderful Stay at Hotel Monte Carlo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monte Carlo

Hotel Monte Carlo
Ranked #810 of 1,812 Hotels in Paris
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Stay at Hotel Monte Carlo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

I've recently returned from a very enjoyable 3-night stay at the Hotel Monte Carlo in Paris. I highly recommend this little gem of a hotel to anyone seeking affordable accommodation, excellent customer service, and a perfectly located base while visiting Paris.

I was lucky enough to get a room in the back corner of the top floor of the hotel, so street noise was not an issue at all - extremely quiet. I had a double bed, with no ensuite facilities, for €70 per night. The rooms are quite small (and, unfortunately, not very soundproof) but the size of the room - and the rich, warm colours that the entire hotel is decorated in - only adds to the charm of this hotel. The cat motif is everywhere in the hotel (which I loved); it's a shame the cats are no longer in residence. There was always fresh towels and sheets provided, and a pleasant, fresh scent would prevail after the room had been cleaned. The room itself had everything needed during a visit - telephone, heater, flat-screen TV, in-room sink (with shampoo & shower gel provided), and a safe where you could lock your valuables away and not worry about them being stolen. This is, however, a very safe hotel as is the general area around it. The shared facilities were always fairly busy but the shower & toilet was kept extremely clean; I heard housekeeping cleaning them at various points throughout the day. The bed in my room was incredibly comfortable and you seemed to sink in, yet be firmly supported.

The staff at the hotel are very firm about check-in time - they will not allow you to check in prior to 15:00, but if you do arrive early they will hold your luggage at Reception while you explore Paris until check in time. A cold buffet-style breakfast is provided each morning, which is absolutely delicious. I did feel, though, that €9 is a little steep in price but there is a wide variety of food and plenty of it. You can get a cheaper breakfast in the area around the hotel, but it will be Continental. There is a very small lift in the hotel, which is good as the stairs are very steep and winding (just be prepared for the sudden stop of the elevator when it comes to your floor!). For those traveling with laptop computers there is free in-house WiFi, but you need to bring your laptop to the lobby in order to connect.

The location of the Hotel Monte Carlo is perfect - many of the main areas/sites of Paris are walkable from the hotel. The hotel is very close to the Grands Boulevards Metro station and is a close walk to Gare du Nord and the Opera, where you can catch the Roissy bus to/from Charles de Galle airport for €8.50.

All in all, a great stay at the Hotel Monte Carlo in Paris. The staff are very pleasant and helpful, and Thomas (the owner/manager) always made fantastic efforts to ensure everything was perfect for the duration of my stay. Highly recommended!!

• Liked — Cozy environment, very clean, friendly staff, excellent location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
32 Thank CanuckTraveller07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I have just returned from Paris. We stayed for four nights at the Monte Carlo hotel and would agree that the rooms were clean and simply but nicely decorated. The maids came in daily to clean and to change the towels. The staff were most helpful. The gentlemen at the front desk were always friendly and helped a lot with places to visit and the restaurants to eat . I would stay there every time I visit this lovely city. A safe, nice hotel!

• Stayed October 2007
27 Thank sarah095
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor and hoping to find a nice budget hotel in Paris for my next visit, I contacted the hotel directly. The rooms were available and I decided to go ahead with the booking.

First of all, I was asked to provide my bank card number INCLUDING the security code at the back of the card... I NEVER give out such information, especially at the hotels or small businesses, where chances of fraud are paramount! Anybody can access this information which is stored in the hotel's books forever and steal the card information and this happens left, right and center! Without the security code, I was told, the hotel could not take my booking. Well, I regularly make reservations at various hotels all over the world and I was never asked to provide such level of security information.

Secondly, the hotel do not accept Visa Debit card. They only accept credit cards. As I do not have credit cards but used my Visa Debit for years all over the world without ANY problem whatsoever, I was extremely surprised as to why Hotel Monte Carlo would not take my Visa as a guarantee of my booking. They did, however, suggest that I could transfer the money via Western Union (no way!) or make an inter-bank transfer which would add at least 20% on top of the total amount. Alternatively, the hotel suggested they take the first night's payment "to see if the card works" but this amount would not be refundable.

I live in London and go to Paris regularly, at least once every 2-3 months. I have never had such problems in Paris or ANYWHERE in the world before so this experience is rather confusing. Thankfully, there are many other hotels in Paris which do not give such hassle to their potential guests.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Anna_von_M
North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Monte Carlo for a few days and would definitely recommend it. The hotel front desk staff spoke very good English and was very, very helpful. Thomas was especially helpful. They gave us great suggestions on what to see and where to eat/drink.

The hotel is in a great location and there are alot of restaurants and shops nearby. There is also a little grocery store right across the street to stock up on food and water. There are two metro stations very close to the hotel which was really convenient. The hotel is also about 10-15 minutes by foot from the Louvre.

The room is small, but was very clean. Our room also had a bathroom which was small, but nice and clean. You may want to make sure that your room has a bathroom before you book (if that matters to you). The interior walls are a little thin, but not bad. The window to the street blocks out almost all of the street noise, which was very nice. We really didn't have an issue with noise at all.

Paris is a great city and we loved it. I would definitely stay at the Monte Carlo again!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
31 Thank traveler581
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

In Paris there are millions of hotels but to find a good one could be a problem! It was not my first visit to Paris but it was the first time I have stayed in this hotel. Hotel Monte Carlo is a true gem in the heart of Paris.
I appreciated best of all a good quality service. My room was nicely done and cleaned daily and the staff at reception speaks english and was very helpful.
I ‘ve got a room with shower on the third floor on the street side. It was clean, quiet and the size was adequate for Paris standarts. I don’t have any complains, I had everything I needed: good bed, good pillows and a good service!
I had a nice stay and I will return to this hotel. I would recommend it to a friend!

• Liked — location, good service
  • Stayed October 2007
33 Thank calderara
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights in September. The staff are lovely, very helpful and the hotel is quite clean. It's well located between a few metro stations (we used the Le Peletier station) with lots of food options around, including 2 fabulous bakeries!

The only downside was that we had asked for a quiet room, away from the street. The hotel was happy to arrange this, but we ended up getting a room on the 2nd floor, which had a sloping floor or a slight gradient. We didn't immediately think it would be a problem until we slept on the bed. I felt like I as sleeping head-down all night and subsequently made my partner sleep on my side of the bed for the rest of the trip. I guess we could've changed rooms, but since it didn't bother him, we stayed in there.

I'd recommend this place andI was to go back, I'd ask for a room with a flat floor!

• Liked — Close to transport
  • Disliked — The up-sloping floor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank etravel2007
Lincoln UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

Clean and friendly hotel close to all the sights, we had a problem with a leak in the bathroom, but overall our stay was fine. The staff were friendly and happy to help, all those we met spoke English. We had a room at the front of the hotel but didn't encounter any noise problems mentioned by others. The bed was very comfortable, with TV and en-suite, there was nothing else we needed. The room was a reasonable size and cleaned daily, we were charged 150 Euro, I think due to various events on in Paris at the time.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — leaky bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple