“Great Location, good value”

Hotel d'Angleterre Champs Elysees
Ranked #1,529 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 17, 2009

The hotel is in an excellent location about a 2-3 minute walk from the Champs Elysees. The staff at the reception were friendly and spoke English. The lift was tiny (could fit 1 person and a suitcase or 2 or 3 people). The decor of the room was outdated with a 70's bathroom, brown tiles, old bedding etc. However there was nothing wrong with it. Most peoples houses are outdated and ugly, with old furniture and they still live there happily. It is the cheapest hotel in the area and it is better to be in a good area. The room was clean, had a separate toilet (which is unusual) and a proper deep bathtub. The bed was comfortable and the room was reasonably sized (bigger than a lot of European hotel rooms) It had a homely atmosphere and a small balcony with a fantastic view of a Parisian street. We had a great time, the area is fantastic with a supermarket next door to the hotel and several good shoe shops on the same street. No fridge in the room though, which was annoying.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Europeobsessed

Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in a double room.

The hotel has an excellent location, right near Metro stations.

It is shabby, and has a boring breakfast. Our room was clean though.

We lived on the 4th floor, and I took the stairs everytime because the receptionist confessed to me that he never used the elevator because it wasn't safe (!).

The light switch in our room broke, but the receptionist found a way to fix it.

There was a bar, but when we tried to order they neither had beer or coke.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank m82
Reviewed July 12, 2007

We stayed in this hotel on July 9, the night before flying back to the states, because our buddies from the UK like it. I had balked at staying here originally, based on their pictures, and thank God for it! The place looked like an aging Dennys, all done up in brown and orange. In reality, it was not too bad, although the elevator is constantly down, and you have to lug your luggage up and down dark flights of stairs... The entryway and front desk area reminds you of a youth hostel; it's functional and bare in the extreme...
The rooms are clean and most have a large window that opens out to the boulevard, where one can watch the energy of a real Paris street, in all its spendor. There is no air conditioning, but they have a fan attached to the wall. The bathrooms are fairly spacious, and ours had a tub and shower....the towels were cheap but clean. They have no king-size beds; only a smallish queen.

It really is right around the corner from the Champs, which is a plus, to be sure. The lounge and common rooms are grungy, but the staff are positive, accomodating, and almost all speak English. The beer is not cold, and you have to pay to use their computer, but you can almost always get online with ease....

I would much rather pay a bit more and get a rich Paris experience, but it was pretty okay for one night, and they gave us a little discount due to the broken elevator, which my husband thought was nice....

I don't know why, but am told all the Brits stay here....I guess they like that seventies ambience...

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AgingHippie
Reviewed September 29, 2006

We stayed in this hotel for the location, thinking it must be nice near the Champs Elysees and the website looks good.
The hotel was nothing like it and it was dark, nearly dirty and really old. When they say it's 70's like, well it is fully, there is not one new thing in it.
This is a cash machine and they do not deserve 3 stars.
IT was horrible staying there and it nearly felt like staying in a hostel.
From the entrance to the lounge area and up in the rooms.
This hotel is not worth the price. I have stayed in 1 star hotels that were nicer and cleaner that this!
I am French and know a lot of hotels from staying regularly in Paris and I do not recommend!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank John8
Reviewed September 6, 2006

I took my little sister for her birthday and after a long day sightseeing we found the hotel easily and our room was ready. it was clean and pretty quiet considering it was on a main road. very convenient for many restaurants, we ended up eating on the Champs Elysees which was a 2 minute walk from the hotel - just at the end of the road. Staff were very friendly and helpful. No problems at all. Breakfast was good, continental but filling. The breakfast room was a 70's time warp but it was clean. I would definately stay here again as it was so close to the Champs Elysees, shops, restaurants and Metro stations. We got a good rate through Superbreaks.
Would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank perkins99
Reviewed October 27, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel atleast 6 times. My husband and I will be staying there for the Christmas Holidays for 3 days. It is a little worn but the location is excellent. My room has always been clean. This hotel can not be beat for the location. It is one block from the Champs, metro, restraunts. Saturday night can be alittle noisy if you have a room on Rue de Boetie, lots of people out for the night. So if you want quiet ask for another room.
I contact the hotel directly for reservations. They have taken credit card information but never have charged my account. I always pay at end of visit. These people are very courteous and helpful.

Considerin I paid 4 euro on the Champs for coffee, 9 euros for breakfast was a deal. Plus they serve a pot of coffee!!

I have also dealt with some unreliable hotel booking companies on my travels but not in France.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank margiex
Reviewed July 26, 2005

The room was ok enough for a 3 star hotel bedroom in a good location.
The service was good.

HOWEVER, they double billed my credit card! once when I made the reservation and then a second time after I stayed. They did credit me back the first charge, but by then the exchange rates had changed so I lost $35 dollars (plus foreign transaction fees charged by the credit card).
Am still waiting to hear back from them on whether they will make up for their shoddy billing and credit me back the rest of my money since they messed up.

• Stayed: June 2005