“Great Croissants” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
New York
“Great Croissants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Between The Louvre, Opéra Garnier, and a couple of other stops that afternoon, I didn't have the time to stop by another patisserie on Friday, so I picked things up again on Saturday morning prior to checking out Notre-Dame Cathedral and Sainte-Chapelle with a visit to Jean-Noël Julien. Walking in just as the doors opened, I walked out with a warm Pain au Chocolat, Croissant, and a chocolate chip-studded bread that I don't know the name of. All three were fresh and delicious, with the Croissant and Pain au Chocolat exhibiting perfectly crisp exteriors that shattered upon mastication, giving way to airy layers of innards that proved to be exceptionally buttery yet light. The chocolate bread was quite tasty as well, as the still-warm loaf was loaded with semi-melted chocolate chips.

The baked goods were very good, but the service was a bit rude. When the woman behind the counter figured out that I don't speak French, she became noticeably cold and terse, and she gave the impression that she wanted to get rid of me. Oh well, I was bound to run into some locals like that, and it didn't really detract from the deliciousness of the croissants and bread.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Kevin C

• Korean first
Alexandria, Virginia
“Another good place to get pastries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Chocolate croissant - good of course. Also tried the macaroons in strawberry, vanilla, choco, passion. Only choco was memorable. Fyi no seating

1 Thank Alice8d
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the best bakeries, delicious treats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We loved this boulangerie in Paris. It was close to our apartment we rented. However, we were able to only partake of the excellent croissants and pastries only one day, as the rest of the 4 days we were there, it was unfortunately closed, but there was no sign on the door, nor any indication when it would reopen. Some passer by - local- said Welcome to France, thiis is August!
Wish we had known it would be closed, we would have loved to try more things from here.
Yes, and don't be intimidated by the long lines. Cannot wait to go back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Abee122
New York City, New York
“This traveler begins every morning here ... Just like a local”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Three years ago i rented an apartment on St. Martin very close to Boulangerie Julien. It was our local croissant shop. Only when i saw the long line of commuters queuing up one morning did I realize how special it's regarded. This year I'm staying closer to Rue Veille du Temple and walk over to Julien, though other boulangeries are closer, because indeed the croissants, pain et chocolats, expresso, and counter service are superior. Now, if only there were a place outside to sit down and enjoy eating the treats. Otherwise, wander over to Pompidou to sit on the plaza while eating and people watching.

Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Best boulangerie in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I already miss having my breakfast in one of Paris' countless boulangeries (bakeries). The fresh croissants, tarts, macarons, and quiches are unmatched anywhere else. If you can find one that also makes a good cup of espresso or a latte, you're ready for a day of sightseeing. Boulangerie Julien, however, is head and shoulders above the rest. The selection is enormous, and everything is displayed like a work of art. I ordered the Quiche Lorraine with a passion fruit eclair and a latte, my fiance had a cheese quiche with a mini-cannelle (a thimble-sized cinnamon flan). There are no spots to sit, so we excitedly took our purchases to a bench on Pont Neuf and oohed and aahed over the buttery, creamy luxuries we had indulged in (we went to the location on rue St-Honore, by the way, behind the Samaritaine dept store - get off at Pont Neuf metro). That's one of my favourite moments in Paris: sitting on the Pont Neuf, eating pastries in the early morning light before another day of sightseeing.

• Visited August 2013