“DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Ranked #6 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Boston, Massachusetts
“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hostel should not have been open. There were construction workers all over the hostel at all hours - waking people up at 7am with construction. While I was there, the bathroom flooded and when I reported it, the receptionist told me that she would tell the cleaning crew tomorrow (which meant I was supposed to use the flooded bathroom to shower/brush my teeth that night?). My room was also overbooked and I was moved at midnight because someone was asleep in my bed. When I got to my new room, the sheets had hair on them, and clearly were not new/clean. My room was also cleaned three times in the week I was there... and not cleaned well. The wifi did not work, and the computer room was not set up when I was there. The staff computers also all seemed to be broken. There was no telephone while either and staff could not call a cab for guests. At the bar, I witnessed a manager explain to one of the younger bartenders that he should always try and pour beers so there is a lot of head/foam on top, so each customer gets less beer and the bar saves money. The location of the hostel was terrible as well - it is in a very unsafe area, and they need to have guards outside of the hostel. My guide book says not to go to this area of Paris at night... ever. It was a very dirty part of the city that smelled of urine and clearly had sketchy characters roaming about all the time. I would definitely NOT recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank solotraveler0626
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Gare du Nord Paris, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your opinions, they are very helpful. I'll just take a moment to let you know we are now running a lot more smoothly and I can recommend to you a return to our hostel, I'm sure you'd be extremely impressed with what you see.

When working in a new building with new systems etc. there are naturally problems and it seems you were in the thick of these. I apologise for this. The bathrooms are now much better from your experience, we're still finding ways to improve them but from what you experienced they are much better. As for the area, it is generally safe with very few problems reported. But be careful in all areas of Paris, there are always people looking to take advantage of tourists.

St Christopher's Inn GDN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

By far the cleanest hostel, even to hotel and is worth every penny. Staffs are friendly and place is really nicely done up and people are hip.

Would recommend for anyone looking for hostel or even a budget hotel. Unless you're looking for a five star treat, there won't be a better place than this.

Plus it's right outside the station from Eurostar.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Takaloy
Simsbury, CT
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hostel opened way too early. Rooms were still being furnished with construction ongoing during the day during our stay, making the whole place smell like sawdust. Bathrooms lacked shower curtains, making showing (with cold water) a difficult task. The key card system wasn't working and the elevators were iffy at best. Also, there was no way to keep the rooms cool besides leaving our top floor balcony door open, which wasn't ideal.

Despite these flaws, which I
believe will be fixed, this hostel has great potential. The staff is very helpful and friendly, even when I witnessed them overwhelmed with complaints and the bar is fun with great food. The setup of the hostel is unique and inviting. During my stay it was beyond hot in paris and the rooms were sweltering without air conditioning and the ability to open windows beyond three inches. With some commons sense measure to fix the experience, St. Christopher's Inn at Gare du Nord would be amazing, but right now it is physically and aesthetically not ready to be open for business.

4 Thank slidr223
Hi there,
We understand you had some problems with us, and I'd like to apologise for the flaws you mentioned. As you pointed out we were brand new and as such were experiencing the problems due to being so new. As a result over the past month everyone has been working to eradicate such problems, we're still working on becoming better. But at the moment, we've managed to solve the main issues outlined in your review.

Thank you for your comments they are very much appreciated by all.

St christopher's Inn GDN
Wagstaffe, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Good location, close to one of the biggest train stations, the building is really new, it's got a good atmosphere, a cool bar & was the most comfortable bed I've had 4 weeks into my travels. The only bad things were no air-con but it was bearable & at one stage no hot water but other than that I quite enjoyed my stay there and would actually look forward to going I bed each night because I liked the beds so much! Would definitely stay again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Definitely enjoyed my at St Christopher's. Everything is brand new so the room was spotless and comfortable. It's located just to the left of from the main train station Gare du Nord, which was really useful for me coming from the Eurostar. There was free wifi in my room which was a big plus. I would recommend to all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Angela G
Reviewed July 9, 2013

St Christopher's definately lived up to expectations. Staff are an amazing group of people that I will never forget. The hostel was clean, comfortable, brand new and extremely close to the main train station and many food outlets. My stay here was memorable and definately recommended to all !!

1 Thank Michelle Z
Gregory W, Hostel Ambassador at St Christopher's Gare du Nord Paris, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your extremely kind words,we are very grateful. It's nice you had such an amazing time and we hope that you will be bale to return should you be in Paris. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone too.

St Christopher's Inn GDN