“Wonderful little theatre!”
Review of Essaion Theatre

Essaion Theatre
Ranked #112 of 1,599 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A central location, in the heart of the Paris Marais, Essaion Theatre faces the Pompidou Centre.The closest metro stations are Chatelet-Les Halles, Hotel de Ville and Rambuteau.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I wasn't really sure what to expect when I purchased tickets to see Caroline Nin in "Hymne a Piaf" at the Essaion Theatre. I was looking forward to an evening of some of Edith Piaf's best-known songs and knew the performance would be in French and English. The performance, and the theatre itself, went beyond my expectations! The show itself was simply wonderful and moving. Caroline Nin gave a breathtaking performance in honoring Edith Piaf's life and songs. The theatre itself is the perfect venue for such an intimate performance, more of a cabaret, really. Tucked away in an alley just off rue de Renard (behind the Centre Pompidou), the Essaion is a tiny theatre located in a centuries old cellar. Only about 40 people can fit in the theatre, allowing everyone close proximity to the stage and the performance. It was a lovely evening and I would recommend "Hymne a Piaf" as a wonderful Parisian theatre experience!

1  Thank Judy M
in 21 reviews
"stone"
"stairs"

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The auditorium is small. The air was hot, and my seat was hard....but as soon as Ms Nin strolled onto centre stage we were totally captivated by her style and professionalism. She had two accompanists, one on piano one on double bass, and to put it mildly they were brilliant. Also they were both totally involved and reacted to Ms Nin's performance, in ways I have never seen musicians react before. There was some audience particpation, which I was dreading. I became MiLord, and I must say I really was impressed the way Ms Nin handled it, without any embaressment. Edith Piaf's life became alive, thanks to Ms Nin. Caroline like Edith you are a star!
The music rang around in my head for days, padam, padam, padam......I look forward to seeing you all over again. Thank you so much.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We chose Caroline Nin and Edith Piaff to help us celebrate 60 years of marriage, not realising that she would have us both in tears of romantic happiness by the end of the evening. She is absolutely fabulous, her instumental accompaniests are excellent and the intimate atmosphere of the Essaion is exacly right. Only afterwards did we appreciate how cleverly Caroline's performance is put together, weaving together Piaff's songs with a real feel for her life, in a mixture of French and English which felt entirely natural. By the end of the evening we were all stamping our feet in applause. Don't change a thing!

b&gmg

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This cozy and intimate venue was perfect to hear the wonderful Caroline Nin
present her loving tribute to Edith Piaf last night. You felt you were in old Paris
and in on a secret no one else knew. Ms. Nim presents this night in such a way
that you began to understand the life of joys and sorrows of the great Piaf. With
the show in both English and French, you truly know the lyrics and their meanings
to the songs you have heard and loved. I cannot recommend this more highly, and
it will be an experience of a lifetime! Merci beaucoup, Caroline Nin and the Essaion!!