“A revelatory experience in the City of Lights.”

Walking The Spirit Tours of Black Paris Day Tours
Ranked #220 of 524 Tours in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1994, Walking The Spirit Tours has been connecting travelers and locals to the little-known but rich Paris’ Black heritage. Indepth, exciting walks in the Latin Quarter and 1920s Black Montmartre pass the homes, haunts and neighborhoods of expatriate African-American writers, artists, musicians. Private bus tours reveal Black achievements at well-known sites across the city. Passionate, knowledgeable guides offer an enjoyable and fascinating immersion into historical and contemporary Black and French culture.
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A revelatory experience in the City of Lights.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is definitely the major highlight of my trip. My tour guide Shola is such a valuable asset. She opened my eyes to the side of Paris that Josephine Baker fell in love with. By the end of the tour I wanted to stay in Paris and not turn back. I fell in love with the City of Love!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Akeba L
WalkingTheSpirit, Owner at Walking The Spirit Tours of Black Paris Day Tours, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Akeba, thanks for taking the time to recommend us. Falling in love with Paris and in Paris is one of the experiences our tours aim to facilitate. Josephine lived it, and now you have. Keep glowing! Julia Browne

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Do not miss this if going to Paris, especially the first time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the UK and we took the Eurostar to Paris for the weekend. Luckily, I had already made arrangements for an orientation of Paris and a tour of the Latin Quarter via Walking The Spirit Tours. Our tour guide, Shola, showed us how to get around on public transportation in Paris, mostly focused on the subway system. This orientation prepared us to "own" the subway system. We were all over the place!

Our orientation was followed by a walking tour of the Latin Quarter of Paris. This is a walking tour that you do not want to miss! (We did take one bus ride which was at our own expense, so be prepared for that with a metro pass or tickets.) I knew some of the Paris Black history, but had no idea of some of it covered by Shola! The tour is indeed, fascinating and as rich as Black history. It is well worth the fee for the orientation and tour. I highly recommend both and I cannot say enough good things about our tour guide, Shola!

One tip, is that you should be sure to bring a small pad and pencil to jot down some notes of the photos your are taking on the tour.

This was excellent, excellent, excellent!

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Alynn C
Hello Alynn, It was our pleasure to introduce you to Paris and its rich Black heritage. It's what we love doing! Great idea to bring along a notepad. If, however, you get home and can't remember what info goes with what photo, just email me and I'll fill in the gaps.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tour to Remember!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was a tour of my life. To actually see the streets where my favorite authors Langston Hughes and James Baldwin walked, just took my breath away. Our Tour Guide Shola was AWESOME!!!. Booked it before we left..Transportation was great. Words can't describe. Place this tour on your "things to do in Paris" list.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Simplybudgeting
WalkingTheSpirit, Owner at Walking The Spirit Tours of Black Paris Day Tours, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hi SimplyBudgetting. Thank you for your appreciation of our work. We are glad to have been able add this aspect of actually walking where your favourite authors tred. Thank you for choosing to experience this side of Paris with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A Must for Any American in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I took this tour on my fourth trip to Paris, a city I adore. I have to say out of all my experiences in Paris, this is one of my favorites. I believe Walking the Spirit Tours offers a unique perspective of the lives of Americans who found safety, encouragement, and inspiration in Frances' bosom. We hear so much about Hemingway, Stein, Fitzgerald, and others, but rarely do we have the opportunity to learn intimate details about the lives of the folks discussed on Walking the Spirit Tours.

Our guide, Shola, was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. We asked a lot of questions and she was happy to answer them. I highly recommend the the tours!

p.S. This tour was recommended from three different sources: an American artist living in Paris, CNN, and trip advisor.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MountainGurl
Hi MountainGurl, thank you for voting us your favorite Paris experience. That means alot coming from a veteran Paris connoisseur.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A wonderful way to see Black Paris!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

What an experience! Got a recommendation from friends that had taken the tour earlier and it was one of the BEST things we did in Paris .... just a wonderful way to explore it through another dimension. We hit Paris at the right time, booked our tour in advance prior to leaving, and lucked up the day of our tour and had our guide all to ourselves! Mr. Ealy couldn't have been more gracious and just made the day more special and informative. Our special interest was "Black Literature" so he was able to add that great focus to our venture. His knowlege of history, (French and US), culture, art, literature, politics, the area .... just added that extra touch to our fabulous time in Paris. Note: We LOVE to walk .... so our tour took a bit more foot paths than cabs rides, which we preferred. Lunched at a wonderful restaurant over one of the theatres Ms. Baker appeared in! Highly, Highly recommended.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Rosetravels39
Thank you for your recommendation, RoseTravels. You were indeed lucky to get your guide to yourself and to have lunch at the Casino de Paris. We do enjoy every moment we can have these walking exchanges with interesting people.