“Unfulfilled Potential”
Review of Les Tantes Jeanne

Les Tantes Jeanne
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Les Tantes Jeanne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #377 of 18,357 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montmartre
Description: Les Tantes Jeanne Is A Typical French Restaurant Next To The Moulin Rouge .it Proposed The Special Meet Like A Kobe Beef Or Black Angus Beef Special Fish Crosted ,the Homed Made Foie Gras And Special Sorbet With Absinthe.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

What a shame! The menu reads well, the wine list is extensive and well chosen, the tables are well spaced and the seats are comfortable. The host is welcoming.
Unfortunately, the food doesn't quite hit the mark.
We started with ravioli stuffed with a delicious goat cheese, ceps and spinach. The sauce was delicious, a cep and, possibly, light beef-based stock. The filling in the ravioli was outstanding. The pasta itself was this course's example of Unfulfilled Potential ... it was overly thick meaning that when cooked it was on the raw side of al dente. Such a pity!
Main courses were fish in a salt crust and guinea fowl stuffed with marrow.
The fish, Dorade. Cooked to perfection in its salt crust, it is 'decrusted' at the table and placed on top of a pan of vegetables. The Unfulfilled Potential moment came: firstly, with the removal of the fish from the bone. There were multiple bones left in the fillets meaning that one had to continually pick bones from the flesh, and a serious amount of fish was left in the salt crust which was taken away without the option of the customer (us) being able to remove so much of the delicious meat left behind; secondly, the vegetables seemed to have been prepared by two different people. The first person selected the finest, tiny vegetables; tiny ceps, other wild mushrooms and radishes. The other person chose big, chunky vegetables; oversized slices of carrots and zucchini, lovely globe-shaped but largish onions, woody asparagus(one spear) and 'cooked-to-buggery' beans (two only!).
The guinea fowl was beautifully constructed with a lovely stuffing. This was the high point of the meal. A tiny insight of what might have been.
And finally, champagne listed on the menu was unavailable because of a busy weekend ... Please! Go to the local supermarket and buy a few bottles to tide you over until you're restocked. Unfulfilled Potential!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to Les Tantes Jeannes today and had such a delightful experience there. I did not know what to eat initially and am not usually very fond of red meat but I have tried there the Entrecote as it was specified in French and was pleasantly surprise of its taste and the texture and quality of meat. The chef came to acknowledge our feelings towards the food and meat they were serving and had a friendly chat with me and my husband eventhough we did not know anyone there. The waitress was very friendly and the service incredibly good! Will definitly recommend this restaurant if you are definitly looking to eat proper French food and a friendly welcome as it has not been the case in other restaurant we have tried in the French capital. So definitly will come back there!

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We were in Paris or a long weekend and after a disappointing first nights meal we decided to enlist trusty trip advisor for our second night out. We found this place just down the road from our hotel and decided to check if out for ourselves.

We were greeted by the host who was friendly and welcoming, he talked us through the menu and served us out food and drinks throughout the night. The food was excellent! Plenty of steak and fish to choose from and absolutely delicious!

Would go again in a heartbeat when next in Paris, a real must try!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Some friends and I were just trying to find a drinking spot. I saw the menu: lots of kobe beef, whole roasted turbot, salt crusted fish of the day. I was sold!

I got the salt crusted fish. I think it was a mackerel for the day. He removed the crust, served me perfectly roasted vegetables, and poured 5 glasses of wine that night.

Octav, the owner, chef de cuisine, and host was sooo friendly. He stayed around to joke with us and talk about food--his passion really came through and I knew I was going to come back.

One of the better meals of my life here in France. And I've been here for 8 months.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant by accident, but it was the best food experience of our Paris trip. The food (especially the meat) was amazing and the side dishes were surprising with fantastic taste. We definitely recommend it!