“Surely a first class hotel! I would know, I was their longest staying client.”
Review of Hotel Hor

Hotel Hor
Ranked #180 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently relocated to Paris from the US for work and have stayed at several hotels throughout France. While searching for an apartment I stayed at this particular hotel for several weeks and I could not have been happier with my choice! This one by far surpasses all the others.

The building itself is very new with very modern and clean rooms. Very large shower heads with great water pressure. Mini fridge and tea kettle in each room. Warm fire place in the lobby. Great breakfast with freshly baked pastries every morning (pain au raisins was my favorite!). Decent (and free) wifi. Quiet rooms both street side and garden side (I know because I stayed in them both) with literally a one minute walk to Gare du Nord. Restaurants, grocery stores, and fast food all around. The list of highlights goes on and on.

Perhaps this hotel’s greatest asset is its wonderful staff. From the very night I arrived, the staff has been so incredibly helpful and welcoming towards me. Several times have they gone out of their way to make both my stay and my relocation as enjoyable as possible. From helping me setup my cell phone service to helping me navigate the metro, it is obvious that they truly care for their clients. I consider myself quite lucky to have met such genuinely warm people during my stay and have grown quite fond of them all. It goes without saying that I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 4, 2013

So... I'm not a huge fan of writing reviews as I'm generally lazy but when I do, it either means that something is horrendously bad or impeccably brilliant! Fortunately for Hotel Hor, it is the latter!

I stayed in Hotel Hor from 20th April to 24th April 2013 and 1st of May till 3rd of May 2013. Before my arrival, I stated in the special request section in Booking.com that I will arrive in Paris at 6.50AM and will probably reach the hotel at about 9+AM. As such, I would appreciate it if I could check in early (I wasn't expecting a definite 'yes' answer from them). True enough, I received an email from Hotel Hor stating that I could leave my luggage in the hotel and check in later at 1400hrs. I was slightly disappointed as the previous hotel I stayed in Paris (Libertel Gare Du Nord) in Feb 2013 (I visit Europe/Paris often) allowed me to check in earlier.

On that day itself, with my fingers crossed, I was hoping that they will allow me to do so, but alas, the receptionist said that they don't have an empty room and I can wait at the lounge instead. I probably looked dreadful and weary on the sofa, as a lady staff, perhaps the manager, saw me and asked the receptionist to give me a room immediately. Hmm... The receptionist wasn't being truthful but I guess he didn't have the authority to allow early check in? That said, I was really grateful for the manager's kind gesture. Seriously, I really appreciate hotels that are flexible enough to allow early check in. After a long day of traveling, it's always good to lie on the bed or have a refreshing shower. If there are available rooms, why not check tourists in early?

And so, I went into the allocated room.

First impression of Hotel Hor:

1. A stone's throw away from Gare du Nord, approximately 3-5 minutes walk. Extremely convenient for people who take trains to CDG or other parts of Europe. Additionally, the metro is located at the same area! What more can you ask for the convenience?!

2. The decor of Hotel Hor is very modern and pleasant to the eye both in the room and at the lobby. The fittings in the room are beautiful and new. The room is pretty spacious and most importantly, the bed is very comfortable.

So here comes the part that spurred me to write this review. The staff at Hotel Hor are generally friendly and helpful but one receptionist particularly stood out. On the last night of my stay at Hotel Hor, I had to print 2 documents and had to head to the lobby to do so at about 1.00+AM or so. The receptionist Jun (Yann), greeted me with a broad smile and such enthusiasm, I thought he just drank 2 cans of Redbull or something. I told him that I needed to print some documents and he immediately left the desk to switch on the computer and printer for me and told me if I needed any other things I could approach him.

I had to do some photo editing and was fumbling with the desktop as everything was in French. As a result, I approached Jun again and he tried to assist me step by step and even tried to do the photo editing for me! Mind you, I'm pretty fussy about the documents' dimensions and things weren't going so well initially and I told him it's fine and leave it at that but he persisted till I get what I wanted. Thumbs up for the good effort! But wait, that was not the end. I had to cut the printed documents and asked for a pair of scissors, which he provided me with. After some thought, I decided to ask for a paper cutter or ruler instead (I'm terribly bad in arts and crafts and couldn't cut a straight line for nuts!). Jun apologised as they do not have a paper cutter and the ruler was too flimsy. And then, he offered to cut the documents for me! After cutting them for me, he asked if it was to my satisfaction otherwise, he could print and cut them for me again.

By then, I was truly impressed with Jun's level of service. If I was the receptionist, I would probably throw the scissors at the client's face for being so troublesome and bear in mind it was at an unearthly hour! LOL. Jun is willing to go the distance for his customers, which is indeed commendable! He was also very friendly and affable as we had quite a long chat. Surprisingly, he told me he was pretty tired but yet he was able to look like he was on an adrenalin rushed or something. He also believes that, in his own words "All customers are King". He definitely made me felt like one and made my day (or night actually lol)!

I must say that Hotel Hor is very fortunate to have such an impeccable service staff.

Hotel Hor will definitely be my 'to go to' hotel whenever I'm in Paris! If you are looking for a comfortable and pleasant hotel that is near the train station/metro and have friendly staff, go to Hotel Hor. You won't regret it.

P.S Sorry for the long review. That's the reason why I hate to write as I write a lot when I do.

Room Tip: Avoid high floors as the wifi reception is not so good. I avoided connecting rooms too as advised by...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank RyanNahGQ
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We spent 2 nights in this hotel, as we needed a place that was close to the station (we were taking a train on one day to Versailles, and on the other we needed to pick up a hire car from the station).

I highly recommend the hotel. Other reviews have said that it's a small room, but it was spacious enough for 2 people (double room) with just a small trolley bag each. The hotel is modern (recently refurbished), about 2 minutes walk from Gare Du Nord, and has helpful staff.

The hotel is next door to a supermarket (although, this is then next door to a Sex Shop). We had a room overlooking the main street, but had no problems with street noise (could be because we were really tired!).

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, as it was a bit pricey for EUR15 each. Instead, there is a Paul bakery in Gare Du Nord, so it's easy enough to pick up some cheap pastries/bread for breakfast.

There is a lovely outdoor area on the ground floor, where the staff were more than happy for us to bring our own bottle of wine to spend our evening at after dinner. They provided us with a corkscrew and glasses, so it made for a pleasant stay.

The room came with a kettle and teabags, a small (empty) fridge (great for storing your cheese and wine!), a safe, hanging space for your jackets, a decent hairdryer (in the bathroom), shower gel and shampoo. The room has floorboards, so you may wish to bring your own slippers/flip flops. The only strange thing i would point out is that there was a round window in the bathroom (see my photos) which looked out from the shower into the room. I guess it is so the person showering can view the TV, but it does offer less privacy than expected.

The hotel has a small lift, which requires swipe card access, so offers a secure location to stay in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My parents and I spent three nights at this hotel, my father was in a wheelchair so the location being so close to Gare du Nord and the bus station was perfect. The receptionist greeted us very warmly and allocated two rooms next door to each other. Both rooms were spotless, beds were comfy and towels and bedding was changed everyday.There was quite a lot of road noise throughout the noise but that was expected in the city. If you do happen to be travelling in a wheelchair, go with the knowledge that rooms are quite small and not big enough to hold big chairs. If you are looking for a clean and comfortable hotel I would strongly recommend here!

Room Tip: try to select a room that doesn't look over the road as traffic noise throughout the night
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2013

On arriving at our booked hotel near gare du nord we were told they had no rooms and were sending us to this other hotel. I think we had a lucky escape. The hotel Hor was modern and very clean. It was also near gare du nord and all the staff were very friendly. All in all a great find I shall certainly return.

Room Tip: We had a nice room facing onto courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemary M
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Used the Eurostar service so picked this hotel as it can be seen from the station, its that close.

Check-in was fast & efficient, reception attendant was very kind & warm.

Room and service were perfect and we really enjoyed this hotel. Attention to detail was genuine.

We had a room on the first floor overlooking the street. A bit of street noise. Service was excellent, coffee making facilities in the room, mini fridge. Excellent shower comfortable bed. would use this hotel again.

Found a mini Carrefour supermarket out of the building turn left and crossed 1 street for snacks.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank screenname2000
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Nice,new,clean hotel. 2min walk to take Eurostar. Staff were very helpful and friendly.My husband I were very happy spending time there. We are going back to this hotel tomorrow again and we can't wait ;)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple