“accomodating staff”
Review of Hotel Agora

Hotel Agora
Ranked #1,340 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 17, 2013

in a pinch on a cold and rainy day due to misunderstanding at my booked hotel, the staff came through to find us a room without reservations during memorial weekend. although we had to switch rooms they let us know in advance and even placed our luggage in the right room. this location is outstanding and matched my daughters picture in her head of what paris is and or should look like. It is only a few yards from the les halles station which is used to get around the city by metro or by train to disneyland paris or the CDG. Les halles also has shopping and movie theatres. We ususally walked to notre dame, seine river and st michaels area, many cafes and places to eat. actually a starbucks almost outside the door. also a nearby laundry. staff is very mindful of who should be in building and always checking as enter lobby, while annoying at times it does leave sense of security.

Room Tip: has a lift once you get to the lobby area via a staircase. all rooms i used had great hot water
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I spent a brief 3 days in Paris on our way to Malaysia and found Hotel Agora perfect. It's location just off the Boulevard St. Germaine meant we could walk to most major attractions. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.The room was quiet, comfortable and clean and was exactly what we expected. We would certainly use Hotel Agora when we next visit Paris.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sherridon
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The best thing about hotel Agora is the location, one minute from the metro, a few blocks from rue Montorgueil with all the lovely food stores, and a few blocks from the Seine. The rooms are tiny, but not untypical in Europe. Ours was so small this time we had to put one suitcase in the bathroom. We had a good chuckle about it. The bathroom was bigger than last time but with the tiniest shower stall we ever saw. The place was very clean and the staff friendly and polite. The man in the reception helped us down with one suitcase. We stayed there two years ago and went back this time because of the convenience. The price and the minor inconveniences are a good trade off for the excellent location. We would go back again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maria G
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Hotel Agora suited my needs very well. I stayed here for 4 days and appreciated its position just 50 metres from the RER and Metro which I used each day. Right in the centre of the Chatelet area with many restaurants, bars and other entertainments. The rooms were Paris small as was the lift but everything was spotlessly clean. Good bathroom with a great shower.
Staff were reserved and I felt that if I did not initiate a conversation or ask for assistance I could have spent my 4 days without any discourse initiated by them. When you did have need of their assistance they were helpful and courteous.
I would happily stay here again it suited my purpose with no real negatives

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Usas1
victor l, Gérant at Hotel Agora, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear,

we appreciate your honnesty and simplicity , it is a pleasure to have people like you
of course the hotel is small , this is a very very hold building typical from Paris , 20 years ago there was no lift we make it with the small space we have. Hope to see you one day again and remember us your name and we will find you in our files.

Cordially,

The reception

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Filthy Hotel, Arrogant Management
I don’t know where to start with this review, but I know it was one of the worst hotel stay ever.
I never saw any 2 stars, yet 1 star, hotel that had a so unpleasant stay.
So let me start with the rooms:
- The armoire: one giant armoire taking 20% of the room, with no rows at all, you’re clothes have no place to go but remain in your luggage. Inside, was one wool cover, I got that out, to be welcomed by 2 dark pubical hairs straight on it. Thanks room service.
- The bed: so stiff I had backaches every morning.
- The pillow: it was so old that the cotton inside was in balls. I asked the management to change it or give me another one, they said yes sir of course. The night when I came back nothing was changed. So goes professionalism.
- The room window: here the filth takes another level, you have no idea the quantity of mold that was on that window. It was so disgusting I almost threw up when I wanted to close the window!
- The television: it was so high on the wall that you can’t watch it for more than 5 minutes without having neck aches. That’s stupid.
- The walls: there was grease on some areas of the wall I don’t know where that came from but I know why that was still there.
- The toilet seat: was off the floor, it shook each time you sit on it.
- The bath: you can barely stand there, the water balance is another trick.
- The hanger for the toilet paper was broken, you can still see the holes in the wall where that used to be. Never replaced, which means the only place where the roll could be is on the toilet seat!
- The water heater made noises all through the night I never understood why.
- On day one, the receptionist went to the kitchen in front of his desk, I swear I could see cockroaches running on the table inside. He never even noticed them!
- The breakfast is: quarter of a baguette, 1 croissant, 200ml. of juice, 1 coffee, 1 small honey and 1 small butter. This at 10 euros. Not even a buffet.

Enough with the filth, now, here comes my issue with the arrogant management. I had reserved a room for 3 nights. On the night of my arrival my flight was cancelled and I spent the night in the airport on a chair waiting for the next flight. I had the cancellation letter from the air company. I contacted the hotel’s management telling them my force majeur circumstance, they told me that they’ll try to rent the room anyway.
On the day of my arrival, I called the hotel from the airport, they confirmed that my reservation is still holding. Perfect I said.
I went there, and to my surprise, the manager insisted on charging me the whole 3 nights! His argument was that he never could rent the room to anyone! What the *! I said to myself that was no problem, I will remain on my level of honesty and show him my good will, maybe he’ll offer me the breakfast at least.
No, the next day, he called me, “sir you need to pay for your breakfast!” Oh really! You arrogant * you know I could’ve simply moved to another hotel, and paid for 2 nights in an Ibis Hotel which could have been surely cheaper and absolutely cleaner than your hotel! No way! I am never coming back to this pit and I totally advice you don’t as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Roger_Abinader
victor l, Gérant at Hotel Agora, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

of course this review is a vengeance because one night charge for late cancellation
you never see the manager but only receptionist and we have mails that prooves that you said us to keep the room because you pass one night at the airport and you want the room free when you arrived. Cockroaches ? in 30 years we never have problems of insects or others because we take care of the Hotel and if you see them you never spend two nights in the hotel and take three breakfast. When people do not like the said to us the night before and of course they can leave.
We appreciate to be criticized but not liars.You pay 99 euros the night and you want a 4 or 5 stars service , you will have in paris of course for 250 euros in the same type of room we give to you. we see 1000 people in one month and of course one customer like you. Arrogant customer

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just left the hotel this morning. The location is superb, right in Central Paris and on the Chatelet Les Halles station (RER B train from the airports and Paris Main train station). This station has escalators unlike some Metro stations so very helpful if you have luggage. Once you exit the station at Lescot exit, the hotel is about 50 steps. Back to the hotel, like what someone has mentioned, you will have to carry your luggage up a narrow spiral staircase since the reception is on the 1st floor (2nd floor for us in the states). There was a little mix up when we arrived since our room was not ready. A bit surprised to find the room large, but it turned out the 3rd bed was just not set up in the same room. The design of the room is pretty but the carpet needs to be replaced, the window treatment needs fixing, and the writing table legs were broken. A large dresser which could not be used since the bed was set up right next to the drawers took up a lot of space where we could perhaps place luggage (since there were 3 of us). The bed, at least, was very comfortable. The bathroom door could not be closed fully hence could not be locked but the it was fairly large - compared to the last time I was in Paris. There is construction at Forum Les Halles so there is daytime noise and the area is pretty lively at night because of the restaurants/cafes around the hotel with some open until 2 am so there was some noise from drunk people very early in the morning. There are shops (mostly clothing) nearby and the hotel is surrounded by pedestrian walkways. The breakfast offered is expensive and very basic so I suggest going to the Nylssa Cafe right across the hotel for freshly baked croissants and pastries and they also offer set (formule) breakfast. The door is locked at midnight but you can press a doorbell so the night person can let you in. We had been getting back after midnight. We never saw the same person at the reception the 4 days/3nights we were there so experienced all kinds of personality. We did not experience any rude behavior from the staff but some were not warm.

Room Tip: Room we stayed was #51 (5th floor) and the bathroom door could not be closed/locked. The single ele...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good location. Average room but clean and comfortable. Nice to have a nice double bed in a single. The staff are really rude. There will be noise for least 2 years from the works at Forum des Halles. Would go back if nothing better available.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo