“Filthy Hotel, Arrogant Management!”
Review of Hotel Agora

Hotel Agora
Ranked #1,360 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Paris, France
“Filthy Hotel, Arrogant Management!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Filthy Hotel, Arrogant Management
I don’t know where to start with this review, but I know it was one of the worst hotel stay ever.
I never saw any 2 stars, yet 1 star, hotel that had a so unpleasant stay.
So let me start with the rooms:
- The armoire: one giant armoire taking 20% of the room, with no rows at all, you’re clothes have no place to go but remain in your luggage. Inside, was one wool cover, I got that out, to be welcomed by 2 dark pubical hairs straight on it. Thanks room service.
- The bed: so stiff I had backaches every morning.
- The pillow: it was so old that the cotton inside was in balls. I asked the management to change it or give me another one, they said yes sir of course. The night when I came back nothing was changed. So goes professionalism.
- The room window: here the filth takes another level, you have no idea the quantity of mold that was on that window. It was so disgusting I almost threw up when I wanted to close the window!
- The television: it was so high on the wall that you can’t watch it for more than 5 minutes without having neck aches. That’s stupid.
- The walls: there was grease on some areas of the wall I don’t know where that came from but I know why that was still there.
- The toilet seat: was off the floor, it shook each time you sit on it.
- The bath: you can barely stand there, the water balance is another trick.
- The hanger for the toilet paper was broken, you can still see the holes in the wall where that used to be. Never replaced, which means the only place where the roll could be is on the toilet seat!
- The water heater made noises all through the night I never understood why.
- On day one, the receptionist went to the kitchen in front of his desk, I swear I could see cockroaches running on the table inside. He never even noticed them!
- The breakfast is: quarter of a baguette, 1 croissant, 200ml. of juice, 1 coffee, 1 small honey and 1 small butter. This at 10 euros. Not even a buffet.

Enough with the filth, now, here comes my issue with the arrogant management. I had reserved a room for 3 nights. On the night of my arrival my flight was cancelled and I spent the night in the airport on a chair waiting for the next flight. I had the cancellation letter from the air company. I contacted the hotel’s management telling them my force majeur circumstance, they told me that they’ll try to rent the room anyway.
On the day of my arrival, I called the hotel from the airport, they confirmed that my reservation is still holding. Perfect I said.
I went there, and to my surprise, the manager insisted on charging me the whole 3 nights! His argument was that he never could rent the room to anyone! What the *! I said to myself that was no problem, I will remain on my level of honesty and show him my good will, maybe he’ll offer me the breakfast at least.
No, the next day, he called me, “sir you need to pay for your breakfast!” Oh really! You arrogant * you know I could’ve simply moved to another hotel, and paid for 2 nights in an Ibis Hotel which could have been surely cheaper and absolutely cleaner than your hotel! No way! I am never coming back to this pit and I totally advice you don’t as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Roger_Abinader
victor l, Gérant at Hotel Agora, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
of course this review is a vengeance because one night charge for late cancellation
you never see the manager but only receptionist and we have mails that prooves that you said us to keep the room because you pass one night at the airport and you want the room free when you arrived. Cockroaches ? in 30 years we never have problems of insects or others because we take care of the Hotel and if you see them you never spend two nights in the hotel and take three breakfast. When people do not like the said to us the night before and of course they can leave.
We appreciate to be criticized but not liars.You pay 99 euros the night and you want a 4 or 5 stars service , you will have in paris of course for 250 euros in the same type of room we give to you. we see 1000 people in one month and of course one customer like you. Arrogant customer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Union CIty, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just left the hotel this morning. The location is superb, right in Central Paris and on the Chatelet Les Halles station (RER B train from the airports and Paris Main train station). This station has escalators unlike some Metro stations so very helpful if you have luggage. Once you exit the station at Lescot exit, the hotel is about 50 steps. Back to the hotel, like what someone has mentioned, you will have to carry your luggage up a narrow spiral staircase since the reception is on the 1st floor (2nd floor for us in the states). There was a little mix up when we arrived since our room was not ready. A bit surprised to find the room large, but it turned out the 3rd bed was just not set up in the same room. The design of the room is pretty but the carpet needs to be replaced, the window treatment needs fixing, and the writing table legs were broken. A large dresser which could not be used since the bed was set up right next to the drawers took up a lot of space where we could perhaps place luggage (since there were 3 of us). The bed, at least, was very comfortable. The bathroom door could not be closed fully hence could not be locked but the it was fairly large - compared to the last time I was in Paris. There is construction at Forum Les Halles so there is daytime noise and the area is pretty lively at night because of the restaurants/cafes around the hotel with some open until 2 am so there was some noise from drunk people very early in the morning. There are shops (mostly clothing) nearby and the hotel is surrounded by pedestrian walkways. The breakfast offered is expensive and very basic so I suggest going to the Nylssa Cafe right across the hotel for freshly baked croissants and pastries and they also offer set (formule) breakfast. The door is locked at midnight but you can press a doorbell so the night person can let you in. We had been getting back after midnight. We never saw the same person at the reception the 4 days/3nights we were there so experienced all kinds of personality. We did not experience any rude behavior from the staff but some were not warm.

Room Tip: Room we stayed was #51 (5th floor) and the bathroom door could not be closed/locked. The single ele...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Richmond
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good location. Average room but clean and comfortable. Nice to have a nice double bed in a single. The staff are really rude. There will be noise for least 2 years from the works at Forum des Halles. Would go back if nothing better available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
mysore
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed here for one night earlier this month. The location of the hotel ( in Les Halles) is not great. The hotel is surrounded by suspicious looking leather stores. The hotel expects guests to carry their luggage up to the reception on a narrow staircase. It is not merely uncomfortable, it is outright dangerous. The staff at the reception are rude and show no concern for anything other than collecting payment. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms at this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Oh! On the one hand its amazing how small hotels can be! and worse, how they call them hotels in the first place. On the other, hats off to their business minds to make use of such small cubicles as hotel rooms and still charge 180 Euros a night!
Beware of this disaster of a hotel. You will find the tripadvisor sticker there, but there's not lift to the reception! You will find reviews on tripadvisor, but the rooms are smaller than the home page size of the website!! Its incredibly small. The floor, table, brief case and suit case are all, the bed. If you like it... Otherwise, here comes the advise from the front desk: "If you dont find enough space in the room, you are welcome to place your suit case at the reception!" So everytime you want something (including change clothes), sneak out in darkness to the reception. How ridiculously offensive!!
My advise is: Do not go there, even at the expense of not being able to go to Paris! There are much better ways of doing that...

Room Tip: Just do not go there!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Located on the doorstep of the Chatelet Les Halles Metro station that brings you from CDG (Roissy) airport, this hotel was well priced by Paris standards. The room was comfortable and clean but not fancy. Reception is one flight upstairs which is a bit of a challenge if you have large luggage but there is an elevator from that level upwards. The man at Reception helped me with my bigger bag when he saw me struggling. Staff spoke some English and were happy to store my luggage for half a day after I checked out. WiFi was free.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Tirana, Albania
Reviewed February 21, 2013

i stayed there last week for two night and left with a discomfort sensation. First the staff at the reception were very strange and at certain time even rude. The "comfort room" that we were supposed to have didn't look like the one we saw at the pictures shown on booking.com. The room was generally clean but the extremely old furniture (missing parts) made it look dirty. The blankets were old and with cigarette burning marks and didn't smell good. They didn't put any shampoo in the toilette( the smallest toilette i ever seen. you could get hurt by turning around). And the stairs were terrible: like dirty and not very stable. The lift was so small. And we payed 100 euros per night.

The only good thing was the location but you can find other better hotel around the zone with this price.

I will never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple