“It is what it looks like!”
Review of The Loft

The Loft
Ranked #33 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Modern, clean, friendly. It's the sort of place I would come to again and again. I stayed here a few nights while on my way to London. The receptionists were useful, professional and friendly. When I got to the door, they were exactly what they seemed. I remember the quote written on the nicely decorated chalkboard, "the tourist sees what he came to see, the traveler sees what he sees." It was the little things that impressed me about the Loft. They must have sprayed the sheets or room, everything smelled fresh.
Sure, people come and go, so I'd keep an eye on my belongings, but that's in any hostel, and mine were never bothered. Also, request a new towel, if you can, everyday or hang yours on your bed side. It seems someone decided to use mine and it smelled revolting. That was the only disturbing matter, but was no fault of the hostel's. I'm going to check out the Loft in Taiwan! Hopefully there will be similar kindness. Overall, I recommend the place.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main door might help curb the noise level.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Loft

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Loft for a few nights. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and the hostel was well kept. Although it was a little far from the main parts of Paris and not in the nicest neighborhood, there were two Metro stations within 5-10 minutes by foot. The staff could have been a little bit more helpful but overall I was satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Had a good stay in this hostel and enjoyed discovering the only district I hadn't stayed in so far, the 20ème arrondissement! You should not be put off by some of the sceneries taking place outside, I actually felt very safe in this neighbourhood and I feel it is one of those new hip booming places. Lots of Asian restaurants! Pro's & cons of the hostel:

Pro: stylish and design interior; free & fast internet; nice courtyard to hang out in (no noise after 10 pm, understandably since it is surrounded by rooms); nice shower with towel dryer & hair dryer; simple free breakfast with croissants and baguette; helpful staff (some friendlier than others though).

Con: squeeky beds; although it might seem a good idea to have a bathroom in the room, i do prefer to have them in a communal area outside, this because i felt bad waking up in the middle of the night and flushing; definitely more of a hotel feel to it - if you're staying at this place just to sleep and get up early, it's perfect for you, if you're looking for your typical socializing hostel, this is not the ideal place; breakfast lounge is tiny and at peak hour, it's difficult to find a place to sit

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The rooms are nice for the value. They are small but well organized, bathrooms are clean and of decent size. The showers however, turn off every 30 seconds to "preserve water". I'm not looking to preserve water when I go on vacation, I don't know about you.

The house keeping will barge right into your room without knocking, open your curtains, and begin cleaning as loudly as possible. This occurs around 10:30 so if your planning on sleeping in, think again.

The worst part about this place is that it's in the middle of Paris's "famous" china town. There should be no fame in this area, just a sign for tourists to run the other direction. It's dirty, the people are strange, and is a 25 minute subway ride into the city.

• Stayed: June 2013
Manager D, General Manager at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hi there.
We are really sorry you had encountrered such problems on your visit to Paris.

We have implemented new procedures to avoid these type of issues and the are has been changing rapidly, becoming vibrant and trendy. Even famous personalities like Monika Belucci have na interest in the área now!

Having this in mind we ask you to give us another change - you won't regret it :)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was my first time traveling alone, and I was so excited to stay in this particular hostel because it had been recommended by some newspaper articles. I booked my private double room a month in advance, and was soon after emailed a confirmation number.

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Loft Hostel at around 10:30 PM and presented our confirmation number. Surprise - the room was booked, but apparently that was ok because they saved us two beds in a dorm... because couples love co-ed dorms! We were not alright with this, and so the guy at the reception (who was quite helpful) called a bunch of other hostels and found us a place to stay elsewhere, and told us to come back the next day because our room would be ready then. Still, being stranded at 11 PM is no fun, particularly not in Paris where nearly every single hotel is completely booked.

The next morning, we go back. We are greeted by the manager, Caroline, who explains to us that the room isn't going to be available at all. She says she sent an e-mail to the other hostel, and says it isn't her fault we weren't alerted. We ask her why the initial mix-up occurred, and she explains nonchalantly that our room was never reserved. We had been wait-listed for the room, and never reserved it. They had banked on people cancelling, or on us being ok with not having the room we were promised. We asked her when she knew that the room wouldn't be available to us, and she said she had known 4 days prior. We asked her (completely in French) why she hadn't called us to tell us. Her reply: "It's true, I could have called you, but I didn't." Indeed.

She calls a number of hostels and they're all booked. My boyfriend and I become so frustrated with her lack of focus (she tends to other guests while trying to "resolve" our issue) we go on Expedia and find a hotel ourselves. Was it our job to find a new hotel? Probably not.

Anyhow, once we're booked, we ask her for the money back for the cabs. She says she'll only pay for 2 of the trips, because after all, she sent an email to tell us that the room wouldn't be available (Merciful soul! Blessed be thy who sends an email! So much work! Ah!). We say that that isn't our fault. She says we can't prove we didn't take the metro. I show her the receipt for the cab. She tries to play the "Woe is me, I'm just the manager of a hostel card".

She ended up paying for 2 cabs, but gave us enough money for 3.

I can't attest to the quality of the actual facilities, but PLEASE do not count on their incompetent website to book your stay. Please call 49786 times and have a confirmation number signed in blood before you arrive. They do overbook so that they're never short of clientele.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tarajmahal
Manager D, Front Office Manager at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hi tarajmahal
We are really sorry you had encountrered such problems on your visit to Paris.

The good news is we have implemented new procedures and systems to avoid these type of issues and we have seen a tremendous improuvement. Give us another change - you won't regret it :)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Booked through hostel world, paid a deposit and when arrived at 8pm they inform us that the hostel over booked and one of us would sleep in a bed the other on a mattress on the floor. Then next minute we were told we would both have to sleep on mattress on the floor but in separate dorms. The other option was for them to book us another hostel and they would pay the taxi. We decided to go with that but we asked what the other hostel was like, cleanliness ect. We were told it was a great, clean hostel with free wifi. We decided to take that option. After refusing to refund my deposit i thought this was a joke! After explaining this was not our fault they had double booked and spending 45 minutes to come up with some excuse they finally gave our deposit back. The next hostel that they booked for us was nothing but a dump! With no free wifi, further to the train then the other one, dirty! As in you wouldn't walk around your room with bare feet that's for sure!
The loft looked pretty cool, but couldn't believe they would suggest this for us!

Very disappointing start to our travels in Paris!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Prissycos
Manager D, Guest Relations Manager at The Loft, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Hello there!
We are really sorry you had encountrered such problems on your first days visiting Paris.

We have implemented new procedures and we have seen a tremendous improvement - our latest reviews don't let us say otherwise :) The best way to book is on our website to avoid booking or any other fees and to get the best rates!

Give us another change and visit us again - you won't regret it :)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Cannot believe how few reviews there are of this place. It's out the way but it's such an incredible little hostel. We had a four bed room on the top floor and the room itself was well equipped, very clean and tidy. The bathroom was spacious and clean, and even had a towel dryer. There was a great bar, complete with happy hour ;) A courtyard for smokers and socializing which our room looked over. Computers for general use, a nice naturally lit kitchen. In the reception there was a fun little chalk board with information and weather forecasts. It really felt like a hotel it was that organised but it was fun, friendly, and social. Also loved that there was always music playing in the corridors and the courtyard. Such a fun stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family