“All you read on here is true!”

La Petite Rose des Sables
Ranked #38 of 17,521 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chateau d'Eau / Gare du Nord
Description: Welcome to "la petite rose des sables", the warmest and most welcoming restaurant in Paris :) This family restaurant is very small (you can fit 6-10 people) and does not take reservations (especially through Hotels). The best way to eat there is to drop by and see if it's open / if there is space. Indeed, lots of friends come often so it can happen that there's birthdays, special reservations, etc. Due to popularity and for all the reasons above, Zouzou and Christian would like to host everyone but it is sometime impossible, try to be comprehensive and act with gentle manners. Moreover, we're very sorry for the people that were disappointed recently, Zouzou got her collarbone broken so the restaurant might be close from time to time with notice on the front door. Enjoy your stay in Paris Kind Regards - The little pink sands fan club
Reviewed June 25, 2014

First off I have to say that I was determined to visit here after reading the reviews on here. This was my first time in Paris and I checked out reviews beforehand to make sure I enjoyed my stay as much as possible. This is a tiny, unassuming restaurant and, had I not have been looking for it, would have walked past without even considering eating there. It is not a poncy dining experience, it really is as basic and rustic you can get but was a great experience and made my first night in Paris memorable!

I made this my first port of call when arriving in Paris to book and I am so glad I did! Had hoped to go there on the Saturday night and when we arrived it was actually closed for a private childrens birthday party (assuming one of her grand-children) There was another Korean couple there also trying to book. They were going to be closed all weekend as it was the Paris Music Festival on Summer Solstice. As there were 2 lots of us waiting she agreed to open up again for us at 9.30pm, We went off for a wander and came back later. The restaurant is tiny, eclectic and homely. Fed tapas and sangria on arrival, food was amazing home cooked - HUGE portions so beware! Only us, the Korean couple and then an Australian couple arrived. It was like a little party, all having a laugh and a brilliant time. They were turning people away who were trying to book for that weekend and even stayed open later to let a group of 4 have a meal before they left Paris.

All of us eating there came from recommendations on this site!

I was bringing my friend here for her birthday and Zou Zou even had a cake on stand-by complete with a candle similar to a rocket launcher!

We ate lots, drank lots, paid little! The whole bill came to 39 Euro, I had to fight with her to leave 50 Euro as it was well worth it! Christian made several appearances, lots of hugs, lots of photos, lots of gifts and, most importantly, lots of laughs!

Recommend you stop to try and book and then plan the rest of your trip around it!

Trust me, you won't regret it. Taking my children on my next visit!

14  Thank lumlum256
There are newer reviews for La Petite Rose des Sables

Reviewed June 12, 2014

What a refreshing change as they say. Ignore any previous negative reviews and GO to this lovely little characterful restaurant. It seats about 10 and is French Rustique, not cordon blue. The proprietors are 70+ and lovely. Great entertainment and eccentricity but one of the best experiences you'll have - a marvellous change from some crustier, more formal establishments. Fantastic!

18  Thank PatriciaSpilsby
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stopped by after reading the reviews on here as I was staying locally for one night and wanted to have a more authentic meal than the Mexican next door to my hotel.

When I arrived at 8:45 there were two empty tables that were reserved from 10pm so I was asked if that would be enough time for me. As I was eating alone I thought that would be perfect. This place is beyond tiny - max 10 seats!

I was brought a plate of salami and cured meats, a basket of bread and a glass of sangria with the menu. All were lovely and I could have eaten the whole basket of bread but had to restrain myself!

I then ordered a boeuf bourguignon with salad and potatoes. Madame Zou Zou then showed me the wines on the back of the menu. This was slightly confusing as I ordered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc but the whole bottle was brought to my table. However I noticed that they look at the bottle when you leave and tot up approx how many glasses you've had.

The main was delicious and huge!! I then ordered the Creme caramel - really amazing!!

I was brought a little glass of liqueur also with the bill.

Even with the language barrier (my rubbish French, they spoke very little English)they were exceptionally friendly. I was called 'mon petit enfant' all night - which is nice whe you're 33 years old :-)

I left with a free Eiffel Tower keyring and free Paris scarf too. The meal cost €19 and I had to sneak a tip on the table as I left as Madame Zou Zou refused to take it!

Try it out - it's not swanky haute cuisine, but it's authentic and you will definitely leave smiling!

20  Thank Meganowens20bridgend
Reviewed June 10, 2014

terrific,highlight of our trip. the owners brought smiles to our faces while serving excellent food particularly for the price. i would highly recommend

13  Thank Richard B
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Familiar and little restaurant. Excellent experience and food. Managed by a polite grandmother.
Really cheap in the centre of Paris.
It is better to book