“Should polish the details” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Volney Opera Hotel

Volney Opera Hotel
Ranked #499 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Geneva, Switzerland
“Should polish the details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel is very well located and my first impression when arriving at the hotel was good despite an austere facade and lobby. I stayed only one night so I can only tell about my short experience.

Without the very friendly lady at the front desk, I think that my stay would have been far less positive than it was. I arrived in the morning, she was having one of those difficult days and nonetheless remained positive and smiling even in the evening when I came back from dinner.

My negative comments are about details that could make a difference with some effort. First, the cleaning ladies use a fragrance spray that carries a persisting and cheap smell that struck (and stuck to) me when I entered my room. If you suffer from asthma, this could be a problem. Second, there were fairly large stains on the carpet right on the bedside. Not acceptable. The wifi is free, great, but you need to enter the password each time your device is switched off and reconnects to the network when switched back on. Typically an annoying detail that could/should be fixed.

Overall, the hotel is a great value. I have stayed at three star hotels in the same neighborhood that offer a better experience, but I would return to Hotel Volney for it's simplicity and friendliness. If I had stayed more nights, I'm sure the details that bugged me would have become unimportant. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed, especially the cheap spray issue.

Room Tip: High floor on the courtyard and you will sleep like a baby.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed at end of August and found the location and standard were both fantastic. Staff were very helpful. There was no kettle in the room but it was no problem once we asked. The bathroom facilities available to freshen up on the day we were leaving was very convenient. Transfer from CDG airport is very convenient to this hotel. Overall highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My daughter (16) and I came here for a 3 night stay 30/10 to sightsee, chill out from very busy schedule and visit Disney and see a ballet at L'Opera.

Well the good news is we did most of those things so the trip was a success but there wasn't much chilling out going on. The hotel is in a good location just at the end of Rue Scribe and literally 5 mins walk to the opera house but it's claim of quiet and peaceful was very short lived.

On arrival we didn't stay in on the first day much so our first experience of 'quiet' was the first morning at 7.30am when next door started hammer drilling on the walls! This went on pretty much all day and we were woken all 3 mornings (even Saturday!!) by banging and drilling.

Now I totally accept that if this is next door so the hotel can't do much to stop it but when I tackled reception about it I was offered a free breakfast which sadly was not going to aid my lie-in. I asked why they couldn't have told us in advance they told me they didn't know (sadly then contradicted themselves by saying "when it happened last Saturday" and we'd only booked 2 days before arrival.

So I get it, Paris isn't cheap to stay in and especially not centrally in 2nd arr, but we paid 470 euros for 3 nights in a clean but small and average room with terrible wi-if that you just couldn't use so all I wanted to do was sleep past 7am each morning!!

Ok so rant over, shame though as people friendly I'm just rather tired as a result of my 'relaxing' stay!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wasn't planning on spending a night in Paris but my flight got canceled and a woman at the information desk at the airport suggested this hotel for me. I just jumped on Rossi bus right outside the airport and it took me all the way to the Opera where I walked for a couple of minutes to Volney. Small but very clean rooms. Great location, only a 15min walk to the Louvre and 30 min walk to the Eifel tower. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank SwedishVagabond
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great hotel for business as it is close to everything, super clean, and nicely decorated. It was great having a fridge in the room which is not a standard item in Europe It is a perfect place for the single traveler, or a couple but it is not in a child friendly area of Paris. It may be expensive in relation to the size of the rooms, as it is so central, even a taxi does not cost a lot to come home late. I will use this hotel next time I have to be in Paris

Room Tip: the front rooms may be noisy if you need to open a window, but not more than New york
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sylvie k
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The location is very very good. Within ten mins walk, you can go to brand shops, like hermes and chanel, or you can go to sightseeing points, like concord.

The room is tidy and clean.

I would recommend my friends to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank kamanid
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Walking distance from train station, the grand boulevards and opera garnier. Saff was kind and helpful, suggesting us restaurants to go, booking our transfer to the airport,etc. The room was ver y clean and sophisticated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple