“Kinda disappointed”
Review of Volney Opera Hotel

Volney Opera Hotel
Ranked #558 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My daughter (16) and I came here for a 3 night stay 30/10 to sightsee, chill out from very busy schedule and visit Disney and see a ballet at L'Opera.

Well the good news is we did most of those things so the trip was a success but there wasn't much chilling out going on. The hotel is in a good location just at the end of Rue Scribe and literally 5 mins walk to the opera house but it's claim of quiet and peaceful was very short lived.

On arrival we didn't stay in on the first day much so our first experience of 'quiet' was the first morning at 7.30am when next door started hammer drilling on the walls! This went on pretty much all day and we were woken all 3 mornings (even Saturday!!) by banging and drilling.

Now I totally accept that if this is next door so the hotel can't do much to stop it but when I tackled reception about it I was offered a free breakfast which sadly was not going to aid my lie-in. I asked why they couldn't have told us in advance they told me they didn't know (sadly then contradicted themselves by saying "when it happened last Saturday" and we'd only booked 2 days before arrival.

So I get it, Paris isn't cheap to stay in and especially not centrally in 2nd arr, but we paid 470 euros for 3 nights in a clean but small and average room with terrible wi-if that you just couldn't use so all I wanted to do was sleep past 7am each morning!!

Ok so rant over, shame though as people friendly I'm just rather tired as a result of my 'relaxing' stay!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Volney Opera Hotel

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wasn't planning on spending a night in Paris but my flight got canceled and a woman at the information desk at the airport suggested this hotel for me. I just jumped on Rossi bus right outside the airport and it took me all the way to the Opera where I walked for a couple of minutes to Volney. Small but very clean rooms. Great location, only a 15min walk to the Louvre and 30 min walk to the Eifel tower. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank SwedishVagabond
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great hotel for business as it is close to everything, super clean, and nicely decorated. It was great having a fridge in the room which is not a standard item in Europe It is a perfect place for the single traveler, or a couple but it is not in a child friendly area of Paris. It may be expensive in relation to the size of the rooms, as it is so central, even a taxi does not cost a lot to come home late. I will use this hotel next time I have to be in Paris

Room Tip: the front rooms may be noisy if you need to open a window, but not more than New york
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sylvie k
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The location is very very good. Within ten mins walk, you can go to brand shops, like hermes and chanel, or you can go to sightseeing points, like concord.

The room is tidy and clean.

I would recommend my friends to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank kamanid
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Walking distance from train station, the grand boulevards and opera garnier. Saff was kind and helpful, suggesting us restaurants to go, booking our transfer to the airport,etc. The room was ver y clean and sophisticated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ana L
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent choice for us after going through the hotel hunt. (If u compare apple to apple, that is a 3 star hotel) Hotel volney is conveniently located near the roissy bus stop which cost us 10 eur each to travel from CDG to opera area. The bus has space for the luggages and it also means that it helped us eliminate the problem of carrying all the luggages up the stairs of the metro.

Upon arrival, reception made a mistake by giving us a room which has not been refreshed, and we tot this was the std and informed her to refresh it while we are out. But she kindly changed our room to a bigger room with a courtyard view and a king size bed. Definately bigger!

All the rooms are newly renovated and we cant find any complains to it. It was refreshed everyday and we love the laundry heater and attached hairdryer in the toilet.

Location wise, PERFECT! We are on the same lane with park hyatt hotel which cost like 5 times more (though its the back lane). And hotel is just a turn away from Chanel flagship store at rue cambon which we shopped in the morning with less crowd and can go back to deposit bags before gg out for sight seeing. It is also near all the branded boutiques at rue st honore. In between 2 metro stations, madeleine and opera. N 10-15 mins walk to galeries lafayette and 15-20 mins walk to the lourve. Basically, we explored alot of places by foot becos of its close proximity to the places of visit.

Alot of nice food nearby. We found a very nice breakfast place at the end of rue volney. Both owners and food are nice. And another bistro volney which was highly recommended by the SA at chanel who said that his cm told him the food was even better than michelin restaurant. However, pls book in advance.

Ask if we would stay here again? Yes!! They have a nicer waiting area than a 5 star in london. A living hall behind with a restroom which we had used upon arrival at 8am to sort our luggage and changed our clothes. They also hAve free laptop for use near the front desk that u can use it to transfer pics from ur camera to ur hard disk.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very nice position (close to Opera) and very available and helpful staff. Simple room but good bathroom. Comfortable bed. There was not an external view and there were some problems with the wi-fi. All considered it was satisfying, but the price was possibly too high.

Room Tip: Confirm the view from your room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple