Hotel du Chemin vert Paris
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
Anya Hotel(Paris)
View Hotel
All reviewswalking distancecentral parisclean hotelsmall hotelluggageaccafesparisiandesklouvre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My initial impression of this hotel has been improved by staying in another 2-star Parisian hotel, which was much worse. Hotel du Chemin Vert is located about a 10-minute walk from the Pere Lachaise Cemetery, which means it's in a relatively quiet neighborhood. The elevator is tiny - so small it fits only one person and a suitcase, or two people with no luggage. The room is also tiny - if you have two suitcases, expect that you won't have much space to walk around the bed once you've put your suitcases down. The bathroom is also the smallest I've ever seen - the toilet nearly touches the bathtub, and you have to lean over the toilet in order to reach the sink.

However, this is all bearable because the room and bathroom are clean, and the neighborhhood not bad. I stayed in a similarly priced 2-star hotel that was closer to the center of Paris, and those rooms were completely filthy. I would rather have something clean, than something more central or larger. Also, there's free wifi in the rooms, which is a huge plus.
Do NOT eat beakfast in the hotel - it's not included in the price of the room rental, and there are far cheaper and better breakfast options elsewhere - it is Paris, after all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traddles A
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I chose this particular hotel because I wanted somewhere that was near to the centre of Paris but which was not touristy. When I booked the hotel I was in ‘economy’, so I suppose I got what I deserved. The hotel in located in the 10th arrondissement to the north of the Marais, only around 15 minutes from the Gare de Nord station. It is a short walk from St Ambroise metro station. My first impression was not good. The entrance led to a cramped lobby reception area which was smaller than our living room….definitely ‘seedy’. The staff spoke English. The place looked cheap and possibly not nice. The lift was rickety and the corridor on my floor cramped. My room was cramped and cheap. It included a TV and tea/coffee making equipment. The bathroom was so small you could not swing a Manx cat in it. It comprised an antediluvian hip bath and shower, a wash basin with tiny slivers of soap and a toilet. It would have been impossible to fit the ‘bathroom suite’ in a smaller space.
The bed was cheap and nasty. I have seen superior beds lying in a local skip. Any family would have consigned the bedding to the rubbish heap a generation ago. As there was no air conditioning I had a choice of roast or open the window to listen to the traffic. In the morning I went down to the breakfast room. I took one look at fled. I could imagine smarter, better equipped and more generous breakfast by found in the canteen of a typical small engineering workshop in, say, Doncaster. No, that isn’t fair. The engineering workshop would provide a decent breakfast instead of a few dubious croissants and mechanical coffee.
This is the worse hotel I have stayed in since my backpacking days. At €80 I thought it very poor value for money too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The staff were helpful and accomodating. Not all staff members spoke English. I loved it how they interacted with our 2 year old daughter.
The hotel location was appropriate for us. We just took the metro to explore the city.
The room wasn't nice, though it was relatively clean. Small room size in Europe is normal. But the dirty looking carpet, torn lampshades and dated decor didn't leave me with the desire to go back.
If you're traveling light without kids, might be a good place to stay.
They charge extra for breakfast, but it's well-worth it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank frankovations
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have to say i was in a foul mood by the time we got to the hotel as our original hotel had problems with the bathroom facilities and had to close so we where made to go to another hotel (on turning up there, they had given our room away, so we ended up in Chemin Vert). The receptionist was plain rude - handed over room key and waved us in the direction of the lift without even making eye contact. The lift was SOOO small getting 2 in there with a small suitcase was a squeeze. The room was tiny (door to the bathroom hit the bed) and very basic - disposable plastic cups and the cup to drink tea was so flimsy my husband nearly burnt himself. The shower had a slope in it, i guess so you can sit down, however it is a deathtrap as it is a really small space and very slippery - I managed to fall over hitting my head and shoulder - luckily no blood, but still very sore even a few days on. Got woken up by people shouting in the courtyard below and had a rubbish nights sleep in general - all in all couldn't wait to get away.. however the hotel was only 80Euro, but still would rather pay more and get a better nights sleep

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BerkshireSam
Reviewed July 2, 2012

If you review a Parisian hotel, you should probably apply another measure to your evaluation. Taking into account the common price-value relation, one could easily come to the conclusion that this is the very city to avoid: either you pay through the nose, or you end up in a repulsive grey hole that must've been called "hotel" by someone with a sick sense of humour.
Now, having made this introductory remark, let's sum up what "Chemin Vert" has to offer. As for a Parisian(!) two stars hotel, this one is very decent. Yes, the room is small, the bathroom, as well, and its shower part simply ridiculous (unless you are anorectic, you cannot fit in there without leaning with your back against the wet shower curtain, even if you stand at attention!). The entrance doors keep slamming as anywhere else, the walls are relatively thin, too... - just "normal" hotel disincentives.
However, le Chemin Vert gives some added value, compared to another same category hotels: a small kettle with some instant coffee and tea awaits you there. The TV works and the bathroom isn't smelly - don't tell me that's nothing extraordinary; in cheap(er) Parisian hotels it is! The area the hotel is located in isn't dodgy, and it takes just 5 minutes walk to the nearest metro station. The proximity of a small supermarket, numerous restaurants and the famous Pere Lachaise cemetary (not as their alternative, just an attraction, itself!) might also be a sort of added value.
Therefore, I guess this hotel is worth staying in, even though it is not extraordinary in any way. Just very decent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple