“My stay at the Picardy hotel”
Review of Picardy Hotel

Picardy Hotel
Ranked #1,743 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I had read a lot of bad reviews of this Hotel but my friends had already made the booking so I decided to keep quiet and not be the negative one in the group. As I was fearing the worst I was in fact quite surprised as the hotel was not as bad as I was expecting.
The hotel was very basic but I personally found it to be ok. The staff I met were polite and friendly. The room was not that clean but the shower was hot the towels fresh and the heating adequate. For the price the place was ok. The area is a little intimidating with lots of people just hanging around. It is also very noisy at night with traffic and people outside. This was not a problem because we were tired from our sightseeing trips

Room Tip: I saw three different rooms and the were all similar. I think it is just luck in this place whether...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The room and services that I was provided at this location were beyond comprehension. We arrived to the hotel and upon first glance in the lobby knew we in for what the reviews had described. A low cost and not so great hotel. After check-in we went to our room to discover that the entire room was filthy and the toilet was clogged. The only thing that was "cleaned" was the bed and by "cleaned" I mean that it was only made and smelled bad. Thank god we brought our own sheets and pillow cases. So to begin when we came to the room there was confetti and stains on the carpet of the room (see pictures), the closet mirror was cracked (see pictures), the toilet was clogged beyond belief and left a very strong odor of defecation, the shower did not produce water, the windows were filthy, the heat did not function (it was under 0-2°C), the futon couch smelled and there was black mold on the walls in the corner of the room (see pictures). Upon all of this we were given a Twin room with shower (77€/night) when we booked a Twin Superior room with bath (105€/night) and paid 105+€. After this initial investigation of the room we planned on making a tour of Paris and felt that while we were gone these problems could be addressed. We went to the lobby and voiced our complaint to the front desk clerk. He assured us that the room would be cleaned and the toilet fixed. Although; he claimed that the hotel was fully booked and our room could not be switched to what we had reserved. At this time I did not realize the price difference between the two rooms. I only recognized this now when I viewed your booking.com website again.

After we returned from our tour (6 hours later) we were told by the man at the front desk that our issues had been resolved in our room. Turns out nothing was done at all. The room was exactly as we left it. Nothing was touched. I rang the front desk and explained that nothing had been done at all to the room. The clerk seemed to have forgotten who I was and that there had even been a complaint. He then told me that there was no one there to clean and fix our room and explained to me that I should fix the toilet by turning some knob that is behind the toilet (when I looked there was no knob anywhere, what kind of hotel has their guest fix their problems?), he then told me that he would come to the room at 8 o'clock when he got off work to fix the toilet. Here is when after washing my face I realized that all the towels smelled of mold. When no one came until 8:20 I rang the front desk again to be greeted by a new clerk who had no knowledge of my complaint. This clerk came immediately up to our room and said there was nothing he could do but call the maintenance staff and that he would look for a plunger to fix the toilet. After he said this I asked if I could fix the toilet, by now all I wanted was peace and to have this burden out of my hair. He explained that he did not have a plunger (WHAT!? A hotel with 8 floors has no plunger?)... After another hour I returned to the front desk only to find the clerk on his personal cell phone talking in Arabic for 15 minutes while I stood there staring at him. When he was finally finished with his phone call I asked about how long it would take for this maintenance person to come. He then explained that there was no one to fix this problem with the toilet or to clean the room. Then he explained that we can use the public toilet on the first floor (our room is on the 8th floor). So very frustrated I went to the first floor to try to use the facilities only to realize that this toilet also does not work. I went down to the desk again and demanded a new room and he replied almost laughing at me that the hotel was fully booked and there was nothing he could do. I asked to have the number of his boss and he told me that he did not have a boss and there was no one we could address these issues with. The man continued smiling very smugly and laughing saying that he does not have a boss and that I cannot speak to someone. By the way I speak French and both clerks know for sure what it is I was asking for. He could also not give us a refund for the room. After this my wife and I went out into the city to have our New Year's Eve fun. When we returned we asked if anything had been done about our situation and he said, "No." He said that someone can come at 5:30 am (we returned to the hotel around 4am). When 5:30 am came I woke up to call the front desk and had no answer. I went downstairs to find no one. In the morning when we wanted to check out to find our train the clerk told us that there was no one who we could call about all of these situations. There was no one we can voice our opinions to and that we should contact booking.com.

So all in all, I paid 105€ for a cold, moldy, dirty room that had no toilet and smelled like poop. I have stayed in much nicer cleaner and friendlier hostels for under 30€... This experience has been the ultimate worst time I have ever had with a hotel. I did read the reviews of this location before booking and understand that I was not going to have the best accommodations, but my wife and I had zero accommodation. We were absolutely ripped off by this hotel. I wish I would have known we had the wrong type of room all together so I could have even made this point to the clerk initially. We were just desperate and had no one to talk to about these issues.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C-Trink67466
Reviewed January 2, 2014

+ right in front of the station
+ cheap

- extremely unfriendly staff (i.e. we booked a room with a bath, and we got a room without one; after asking the reception to for a room with a bath, first she said there were no rooms with a bath, then she said we didnt book a room with a bath, and when we showed her the paper she finally said 'ah yes i still have a room with a bath left'... seriously??). Staff didnt speak good french nor english.
- bathroom, towels and bed were clean, but the carpet was nasty and there was fungus on the ceiling from the bath upstairs
- unsafe. No lockers. As we understood there are often people in the hotel that don't belong there and rooms are often broken into. You are not allowed to keep your key as you go out, but then the staff has no idea to who the key belongs.
- wifi didnt work, computer downstairs didnt work either

We stayed one night. Apparently there were some squaters in the hotel as well but we didnt notice. We didnt take breakfast.

So, fine if you need a cheap place to crash for a night and you are on a tight budget, but don't expect anything brilliant.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 0oooooooy
Reviewed November 17, 2013

There were four of us (2 couples) staying at this hotel (November). It is in an excellent location - just over the road from Gare du Nord. Our room was very good - comfortable beds, good size room, clean & reasonably well equiped bathroom with a bath & a shower head in the bath. The heating worked fine, the lights & TV all worked fine. We were very happy with our room. Our friends had a corner of the building room & they were not so lucky. They had a tiny room with just a shower in the bathroom (and the door of the shower wouldn't close). They also had a large damp patch or stain on the ceiling but it wasn't really a problem. The staff were very pleasant & we were allowed to leave our cases in a locked room on our checking out day until we needed to collect them for our trip home. My only 'moan' was the fact that the water wasn't piping hot. It was acceptable though & concidering the price of the hotel I think it was an excellent choice. The good definitely outweighed the bad.

Room Tip: The rooms on the corners of the hotel are very tiny but the rest are good sized. .
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed overnight as my colleague had an early Eurostar train to catch and we arrived in Paris without a Hotel reservation. Big mistake! This place is the stuff of nightmares. I can still recall vividly the stench of sewers when I lifted the lid of the lavatory. The bedclothes were grubby and the whole tiny room was disgusting. I wouldn't let my dog stay in this place and I strongly recommend anyone who reads this to avoid like the plague.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a fall weekend trip to Paris. I haven't been to Paris in over a decade and my friend had never been, so we wanted a hotel that was convenient to the touristy sites, but that wouldn't be too expensive. The Picardy was in an excellent location, right across from the Gare du Nord. Since we took the EuroStar in from London, it made sense to stay near the train station (we also used the lockers at the train station for our luggage before we could check in and after we checked out, which I highly recommend). The metro was nearby and easy to use, which made the hotel convenient. And if you want to walk to the city center, it's not too far. We walked to the Louvre one day, which was about 20 minutes away.

The hotel itself was what you might expect for a small and cheap-ish European hotel. When we arrived, they didn't have our reservation in the system (we had the email confirmation with us, though, so that got sorted out fairly quickly). They then gave us the key to someone else's room before giving us the correct one. Unfortunately, our correct room didn't end up in the computer, which led to us getting woken up around one in the morning by the night manager who didn't know who was in our room. This was frustrating, but the hotel staff spoke English and we got it sorted out.

The room was small and old, but there were clean sheets and the bathroom was average size. The shower didn't have a shower curtain, which was annoying, but we managed for two nights. We got lucky and had a room on a high floor with a view of the Eiffel Tower. There was a lot of road noise, so if you're sensitive to that, bring ear plugs. The television was only in french and the subtitles only worked on a handful of channels (and then they were only in french). This wasn't a problem for me, but my friend (who doesn't speak french) was a bit frustrated that she couldn't follow along to the world news. We did have wifi in the room, but it was spotty. It might be better on a lower floor, though.

All in all, I'm not sure I would stay here again, but if you are on a budget, it's fine. I might look into the Ibis next door for my next trip, though. Same location, but I know the room might be a bit nicer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HufflepuffJulie
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very poor , but at least the shower was , or seemed brand new as did the tiny toilet .
I guessed being right outside the station it wasn't going to be the Ritz , and there was no way I was going to try the breakfast ..
Tiny , poor room , but if it's just to crash for a few hours a night . I've been in worst ( not much worst though )

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends