“cheap and conveniently located, but unfriendly and not really clean”
Review of Picardy Hotel

Picardy Hotel
Ranked #1,747 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 2, 2014

+ right in front of the station
+ cheap

- extremely unfriendly staff (i.e. we booked a room with a bath, and we got a room without one; after asking the reception to for a room with a bath, first she said there were no rooms with a bath, then she said we didnt book a room with a bath, and when we showed her the paper she finally said 'ah yes i still have a room with a bath left'... seriously??). Staff didnt speak good french nor english.
- bathroom, towels and bed were clean, but the carpet was nasty and there was fungus on the ceiling from the bath upstairs
- unsafe. No lockers. As we understood there are often people in the hotel that don't belong there and rooms are often broken into. You are not allowed to keep your key as you go out, but then the staff has no idea to who the key belongs.
- wifi didnt work, computer downstairs didnt work either

We stayed one night. Apparently there were some squaters in the hotel as well but we didnt notice. We didnt take breakfast.

So, fine if you need a cheap place to crash for a night and you are on a tight budget, but don't expect anything brilliant.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 0oooooooy

Reviewed November 17, 2013

There were four of us (2 couples) staying at this hotel (November). It is in an excellent location - just over the road from Gare du Nord. Our room was very good - comfortable beds, good size room, clean & reasonably well equiped bathroom with a bath & a shower head in the bath. The heating worked fine, the lights & TV all worked fine. We were very happy with our room. Our friends had a corner of the building room & they were not so lucky. They had a tiny room with just a shower in the bathroom (and the door of the shower wouldn't close). They also had a large damp patch or stain on the ceiling but it wasn't really a problem. The staff were very pleasant & we were allowed to leave our cases in a locked room on our checking out day until we needed to collect them for our trip home. My only 'moan' was the fact that the water wasn't piping hot. It was acceptable though & concidering the price of the hotel I think it was an excellent choice. The good definitely outweighed the bad.

Room Tip: The rooms on the corners of the hotel are very tiny but the rest are good sized. .
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed overnight as my colleague had an early Eurostar train to catch and we arrived in Paris without a Hotel reservation. Big mistake! This place is the stuff of nightmares. I can still recall vividly the stench of sewers when I lifted the lid of the lavatory. The bedclothes were grubby and the whole tiny room was disgusting. I wouldn't let my dog stay in this place and I strongly recommend anyone who reads this to avoid like the plague.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a fall weekend trip to Paris. I haven't been to Paris in over a decade and my friend had never been, so we wanted a hotel that was convenient to the touristy sites, but that wouldn't be too expensive. The Picardy was in an excellent location, right across from the Gare du Nord. Since we took the EuroStar in from London, it made sense to stay near the train station (we also used the lockers at the train station for our luggage before we could check in and after we checked out, which I highly recommend). The metro was nearby and easy to use, which made the hotel convenient. And if you want to walk to the city center, it's not too far. We walked to the Louvre one day, which was about 20 minutes away.

The hotel itself was what you might expect for a small and cheap-ish European hotel. When we arrived, they didn't have our reservation in the system (we had the email confirmation with us, though, so that got sorted out fairly quickly). They then gave us the key to someone else's room before giving us the correct one. Unfortunately, our correct room didn't end up in the computer, which led to us getting woken up around one in the morning by the night manager who didn't know who was in our room. This was frustrating, but the hotel staff spoke English and we got it sorted out.

The room was small and old, but there were clean sheets and the bathroom was average size. The shower didn't have a shower curtain, which was annoying, but we managed for two nights. We got lucky and had a room on a high floor with a view of the Eiffel Tower. There was a lot of road noise, so if you're sensitive to that, bring ear plugs. The television was only in french and the subtitles only worked on a handful of channels (and then they were only in french). This wasn't a problem for me, but my friend (who doesn't speak french) was a bit frustrated that she couldn't follow along to the world news. We did have wifi in the room, but it was spotty. It might be better on a lower floor, though.

All in all, I'm not sure I would stay here again, but if you are on a budget, it's fine. I might look into the Ibis next door for my next trip, though. Same location, but I know the room might be a bit nicer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HufflepuffJulie
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very poor , but at least the shower was , or seemed brand new as did the tiny toilet .
I guessed being right outside the station it wasn't going to be the Ritz , and there was no way I was going to try the breakfast ..
Tiny , poor room , but if it's just to crash for a few hours a night . I've been in worst ( not much worst though )

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Martin H
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The room was extremely small, dirty, smelly, very noisy and poorly equipped. There were no pillows, the sheets and towels were spotted. We were so displeased with this hotel that we moved out the first day. Please, don't go there!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tiunajtis
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights. Although the room was small and cramped with outdated linen, we will go back if we ever visit Paris again. The bathroom is hilariously small!! But the location... EXCELLENT! Just across the road from Gare du Nord station, post office, pharmacy, different restaurants. The location is definitely a plus, especially if it is your first visit to Paris. The hotel do need a face lift! Our room was on the street, but due to the double windows, we did not experience a lot of noise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple