Le Regent Montmartre by Hiphophostels
$265
Cancelon
  • Fitness center
1,066 results
All reviewsanvers metro stationcroissantsbed dormbarbes rochechouartprivate bathroomcommon areasluggage roomcouple of nightsexplore parisenjoyed my staytop floornice breakfastlate at nightthe location is perfecteiffel towerhostelmontmartre
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I were sent here - somewhat apologetically - after being turned away from two other nearby hostels that were full. It quickly became obvious that this place is nothing but an over-priced over-spill for Paris' better hostels in the busy months. Staff were unfriendly, my bed (as did all others in the 6-bed dorm) rested on an unfathomably squeaky frame, the mattress left me feeling itchy the following day, and the awkwardly layed-out common areas failed to foster any kind of atmosphere. Breakfast is laughably minimal; one croissant OR small bread roll each, with a hot drink and juice. We left as quickly as possibly in search of somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed August 20, 2013

It's about what I expected from a hostel this price in Paris (especially as I booked short notice) the room was clean, breakfast wasn't a banquet but it was free as was the internet. Nothing spectacular but it did the job and was in a good location too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Great location and nice peole work at hotel.thats the posetiv.

Was with two kids and not a kids hotel maybe good for backpacers,
It was expensetiv roms we could get better rom at hotel in same locatio cheaper.
No tv,two chair in a 3 peple rom. So must sit in beds
Must rent towles in reception and take bed sheeds on and off by my self.
Breakfast often empty because all backpacers was take all food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights during July 2013 with 2 friends - this review is going to be in 2 parts as we had an incident with our room during our stay.

We booked directly with the hostel for a 3-bed ensuite room. We were late arriving as the Eurostar was delayed, so didn't get to the hostel until 11pm. It's about 15 minutes walk from Gare du Nord with luggage - know other reviewers said the neighbourhood didn't feel that safe but if you're careful, you'll be fine and you're walking along fairly busy roads rather than dark back alleys, plus during the day it's fine.

Check-in wasn't the quickest, which I think was just due to the member staff on duty. The reception was also swelteringly hot (must've been about 38°C) but we weren't there more than 10 mins. We were a bit surprised as the room cost came to less than the price I'd been quoted on the website but we just left it and headed up. There is a lift but we carried our stuff as we were on the 3rd floor.

The room was very small for a 3-bed dorm; my medium sized suitcase only just fitted through the doorway. There was a bunk-bed and a single bed, a desk, chair, bin and shelf. We had a small Juliet-style balcony (French windows onto a small ledge) and could just see the very top of Sacré Coeur (higher up you get the awesome views). Bed linen is provided for free from reception (there's just a pillow case and blanket on your bed, you get the 2 sheets at reception), towels are €1 - the room and bedlinen was all very clean. The main road outside is noisy and we tried to sleep with the balcony doors shut on the first night but it was too hot, so we left them open the second night (being a very light sleeper, I was fine with ear plugs in though). I didn't get any pics before we had to move (you'll see why below).

The ensuite was very compact - shower, sink and toilet with a few hooks and rails etc. I had to sit diagonally on the toilet as my legs were too big for the bathroom (just to give you an idea of how small it was). One of the base tiles was cracked near the shower but water temperature and pressure was good. There was also a built in hair-dryer and shaving socket.

On our third morning, we woke up to water dripping into the ensuite from the floor above and it'd been doing so all night as all of the bathroom and part of the bedroom floor was flooded. Luckily, the only casualty was my friend's towel which'd been hanging on the back of the bathroom door and my case was waterproof so my stuff was fine. I went straight to reception and the lady came up to see it and said she'd move us right away. I think there was an issue with the plumbing as she'd asked if we were in 403 and I said no, we're in 303, so whether the flood had got worse..?!

Anyway, we were moved to a different, much bigger room (see the pics) - room 35 - think this is probably the one that we'd originally been quoted a price for when I booked. This had a much bigger bathroom and bedroom. It didn't have a balcony and the windows opened onto the internal courtyard (the hostel seems to be two houses, one behind the other, knocked into one) so this was much quieter. As you'll see from the pics, this room was good quality for the money and what we were expecting from the pictures on the website etc - it had the same furnishings and the bathroom was a lot more modern. We also had more plug socks to use which was great for 3 people with phones, cameras etc.

The common room has medium sized lockers for 50c (I think), there are pcs with internet access that you can pay for (WiFi is free - ask for a code from reception). There are a few tables and chairs and some vending machines, plus a kitchen and laundry room at the back of the hostel. Another guest did say that her room was right above the common room and the music was quite loud one night but we didn't have any problem with noise from other rooms. Breakfast was free and was tea / coffee, OJ, croissants or bread, jams & butter - you're supposed to take one item but most people took one croissant and one bread roll, it isn't much but helps you start your day.

You can leave your luggage before you check-in or after you check-out but just be aware that it might move rooms (my friend's case went from the check-out room to the check-in room somehow?!). The vast majority of the staff were helpful and everyone on reception spoken great English - the cleaners didn't but were still pleasant and did a good job.

Anvers métro station is literally 15 seconds walk from the hostel and the steps up to the Sacré Coeur are just up from this - it took about 30 mins to get from the hostel to central Paris via the métro as Barbès Rochechouart station was shut, so we often walked to Gare du Nord and went from there.

Overall, I'd consider returning here as it's in a good location for the Eurostar and for basing yourself to get around Paris. I'd want assurances that we'd get the second room we got, i.e. a room with 2 numbers (room 35) over room 303 that we had to start with. The fact that we had a problem and it was dealt with quickly hasn't put me off.

Room Tip: Higher rooms that have 3 digits (e.g. 501) will have awesome views of Sacré Coeur. Rooms with 2 digits (e.g. 45) will be quieter as they aren't on the road but won't have the view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The Regent Hostel is budget accommodation, so you shouldn't walk in expecting everything to be perfect. Some things could've been better, but I don't have many complaints.

The receptionist that helped us was very kind and helpful. He upgraded us from a 6 bed dorm to a 4 bed dorm at no extra charge, then helped us to store our luggage until check-in time.

The hostel is very close to Gare du Nord (hub for SCNF and Eurostar trains) and Gare de l'Est. It is also within a 5 minute walk to two metro stops (Lines 2 and 4). If you plan on doing major attractions like The Louvre and Eiffel Tower, buy a booklet of 10 metro tickets. It's a cheap option, and you'll be needing them after a few days of walking to the Seine from the Regent and back (a good 6km trek, at least).

Other than that, the free breakfast was an average French breakfast (croissants, bread, OJ, coffee, and jam). The bathroom was fairly clean, minus the two messy Australian backpackers who stayed with us. And the room/bathroom was cleaned daily.

The room could get hot, and it would get fairly noisy in the morning with the window open...so just prepare yourself for budget accommodation and you'll be fine. We had a much better experience than some of the reviews I've read.

• Stayed: July 2013