“It's a Hostel...”

Le Regent Montmartre
Ranked #10 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The Regent Hostel is budget accommodation, so you shouldn't walk in expecting everything to be perfect. Some things could've been better, but I don't have many complaints.

The receptionist that helped us was very kind and helpful. He upgraded us from a 6 bed dorm to a 4 bed dorm at no extra charge, then helped us to store our luggage until check-in time.

The hostel is very close to Gare du Nord (hub for SCNF and Eurostar trains) and Gare de l'Est. It is also within a 5 minute walk to two metro stops (Lines 2 and 4). If you plan on doing major attractions like The Louvre and Eiffel Tower, buy a booklet of 10 metro tickets. It's a cheap option, and you'll be needing them after a few days of walking to the Seine from the Regent and back (a good 6km trek, at least).

Other than that, the free breakfast was an average French breakfast (croissants, bread, OJ, coffee, and jam). The bathroom was fairly clean, minus the two messy Australian backpackers who stayed with us. And the room/bathroom was cleaned daily.

The room could get hot, and it would get fairly noisy in the morning with the window open...so just prepare yourself for budget accommodation and you'll be fine. We had a much better experience than some of the reviews I've read.

• Stayed: July 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is probably one of the worst accommodations I have had in all of Paris - when we came into to our room the bed was dirty and had food crumbs all over it even though check in time was ridiculously late (4 pm) so they had apparently 5 hours to clean the rooms. The shower smelt like urine and there was no signs it had ever been cleaned. The worst part about the hostel for me is that it had 0 sound insulation. We. Could hear everything our neighbours in all sides did and we were facing onto the street so I didn't sleep all night because of how loud it was. Don't reccomended this place if you like cleanliness and a good sleep

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The officious manner of the receptionist was far from the warm welcome we have received at other hostels.

I was told in no uncertain terms that children were not allowed to "run around". How rude! My children were far, far better behaved than the majority of adults staying at the hostel.

A 4 o'clock check-in is the latest I have ever known - and the room wasn't ready!

The room was more like a prison cell.

We had a bath - but no plug and despite assurances we would receive one, this didn't materialise.

A member of staff shouted that I shouldn't use an emergency exit. When I told her I wasn't using it, she asked me aggressively why it was open (a delivery was being made to the kitchen).

The kitchen is not fit for purpose.

Decor is terrible. Battleship grey and deep purple. Writing the world "Rock' on a lightfitting does not make it cool. This place is not 'hip'. Just sad and dated.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank janbee03
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have travelled the world and can honestly say this is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in.

We arrived at 2 pm on Sunday to check in. When we went up to the room nothing had been cleaned from the people who had been in thereb before. There was food on the ground, beer bottles with alcohol spilt all over the ground and an opened up condom! The bathroom was disgusting with toilet paper everywhere as well as hair.

When we approached the staff to tell them they said that the cleaner does not come in on Sunday and that we would have to deal with it ourselves. When we advised them that he should have to clean up the mess he claimed that there was no way of knowing that we had caused the mess.

The place is also very noisy and does have a distinct unpleasant smell about it.

In summary, this place is way over priced and you should avoid it at all costs.

The service is horrible, the staff are not helpful and worse of all the place is dirty.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aussie1987_13
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed in Le Regent for 4 nights and I muse praise its convenient location. It is right next to Anvers station and 5mins away from the other station if you walk straight down, so you can easily visit 3~4 metro lines. And although it's near the red light zone, I didn't feel unsafe at all even when I had to went out at 11pm. There was also a nice little fast food shop that opens late across the Anvers station.

The facilities are also nice. There were vending machines and computers you can pay to use for urgent cases. There were also more than enough sockets for charging both in the room, the restaurant and other common places. The signs were misleading because they only tell you where the public toilets and shower places are, but we actually had our own little bathroom in the room. The most important thing to me is they have lifts, which is very important for someone that doesn't travel light. Also, most of the receptionists were very helpful. Interestingly, unlike the other hostels I've stayed, there were more mature people than students staying here.

A little downside was the wifi. I lived on the 3rd floor on the side near the reception (they have two separate wings), and the wifi signal was bad in my room, I could receive 1~2bars at some of the specific position in the room with my laptop, but with my phone it's almost impossible to use the wifi. Also, during my stay, the wifi was down for a night and a morning, which caused quite a bit of inconvenience. But I wasn't too upset because I believe the staffs had tried their best, and they also told me to go down the street to their cooperating hotel to use the wifi if I really need it.

The thing that completely ruined my mood was the cleaning ladies. One day of my stay, around at 12pm, after using the wifi in the public area, I went back to my room to get ready to go out. I found out my Pierre Herme shopping bag, which had my travel guide and 3 pieces of macarons in a carefully sealed box (the box was made for 7macarons, and I had 4 the day before. the box was beautiful so I opened and sealed it very carefully) inside, was gone. I thought I left it on the ground floor and searched everywhere for a while. After asking for help from the reception, they went up for two or three minutes and came back with the perfect paper bag and said the cleanind lady thought it's rubbish and threw it away. I was furious to find out my box of macaron was torn open right where the sticker was and one macaron was gone, but the staff denied the possibility of the cleaning lady eating it before thinking. He said the box could be broken in the rubbish bin and one macaron could have fallen out, which is possible, but I doubt it was the case at all. Although I didn't take picture or looked thoroughly, I am sure the paper bag was in perfect shape and the two macarons were not crushed at all, which is not very likely if the pressure was strong enough to crush the box; the torn mark was also suspicious because of its position and it didn't appear to be something caused by pressure, and I don't recall the other part of the box being destroyed at all. Although I have no evidence of saying the cleaning lady stole my macaron and pretended to have thrown it away accidentally when I started looking for it, it was stupid enough for a cleaning lady to throw away a bag that is put right next to your luggage and bags with a book inside.

Also, the night before I left, I was packing my luggage. There were some small insects crawling on my suitcase and occasionally on the wall next to my bed; I didn't have a clear look of what those are, but I was worried did any of them got into my bags and luggage, luckily it didn't happen.

I don't want to give poor rating because I believe the hostel itself is a decent place to stay and I've met some returning customers. But they should really consider replacing the cleaning ladies because they're not doing their job at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Bem localizado, ótimo atendimento e limpo! Recomendo a estadia. Fica na rua do Moulin Rouge e perto da Igreja do Sagrado Coração (Sacre Coer).
Well-localized, great service and clean! I recommend to stay. It is situated in the Moulin Rouge's street and near to the Church of the Sacred Haert (Sacre Coer).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hostel is close to the metro and within walking distance from the Sacre Coure. Free wifi and included breakfast were good. The hostel seems old and rooms are small but it's what you need to expect in Paris. There are patisseries, restuarants and a grocery store close by and the hostel staff were friendly and helpful with directions. I stayed during the start of spring when the weather was freezing. It was great the rooms had adequate heating but it got way too hot at night and you couldn't adjust the temperature of the heaters or turn them off.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo