“One level up from sleeping in the street”
Review of Bvj Paris Louvre

Bvj Paris Louvre
Ranked #52 of 181 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I only stayed here because it was listed in my Lonely Planet - Europe on Shoestring Budget guide. Last time I stay at a hostel recommended by Lonely Planet!

Rather then bore you with, hands down, the worst hostel experience i have ever had, ill just list the pros and cons.

Location... its near the Louvre

Super rude staff - i was told to go away when they were chatting to each other one time.
Super lazy staff - They double booked a friend of mine and didn't want to sort it out.
One key to share with 8+ other people
Not allowed to use elevator (was on 5th floor)
No Toilet seat on 5th floor toilet. Fix seats on other toilets (disgustingly unhygienic)
No Handwash or sanitiser in ANY toilet
Expensive WiFi (5 euro for 4hrs)
Cleaners and Breakfast Staff don't speak any English and are very rude
Rooms are like saunas in summer
Very very basic breakfast
No comfortable area to chill out or use laptop - just the old cafe tables in reception
No kitchen/microwave
No lockers in rooms
No Laundry area or room
No luggage room - you can only leave it in the reception where thieves could have a field day!
Push button, cold showers - One of them kept clogging up and flooding the bathroom
Entire hostel is very very loud and carries noise well
Pillow is very lumpy, worn out and disgusting - I just slept on my jumper instead
Beds are small and old / run down - It would just cave in like a hammock and i could barely fit
No Atmosphere - difficult to meet and mingle with out travellers
Not an adult only hostel. School groups frequent.

I would only recommend you stay here if you had to choose between this and sleeping in the street... only if its for free though, otherwise sleep in the street.

Room Tip: Bunk up with a friend in a double for £35 per person. Stay close to the ground floor as you are not...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Gazza316

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I did a pre- booking in the internet and confirmed it 3 days before. Everything was fine. When I arrived at the hostel, they told me to show them my confirmation. There was never written that I have to bring it with.
They sended me to an internet café and when I came back, they told me, that they never received that booking.
It was just a horrible feeling to think you have no hostel where you can sleep.
They called another hostel, where we could sleep, but didn´t informed them how long we want to stay, so we had just trouble.
I m just sad that the are so bad organised!
BUT Paris is a wonderful city, so I hope everyone can enjoy the stay IF they have found a good hostel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sofie R
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The best thing about the hostel is the location. It´s close to the Louvre and there are a lot of shops and bars around.
On my stay all lockers were out of order (by the way there are only about 15 lockers for the whole hostel!). The bathrooms could be more clean, the roof of the shower is full of mould, but I´ve seen this very often in other hostels / hotels in Paris. I think this is part of Paris!? The facilities could be better, in the rooms you have only bunk beds and a sink, but no chair, table etc. so you have to put all your things on the floor. Not even a ladder to climb up the bunk bed. Anyway I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
15  Thank Katha1985
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I did my reservartion 6 moths before and confirmed it 3 days before arriving, but when I got there they allowed me to pay only for one night since they didn't know if they would have a place for me the following night (?).The other day I had to find other place to go because they were full. But they said I would have a bed for my next five nights, so I came back thinking everything would be ok then. The following five days were hell, I had to pay for each night everyday in the morning cause it was not possible to pay all nights together. Everyday I had to bring my heavy luggage downstairs, by the stairs, because they changed me from one room to another. I slept all six nights in different rooms, having to pack my things everyday to change, but I could only put my things in the room after 2:30pm. After all this, the staff was always rude and sometimes acted with lack of respect with the guests. It was the worst hostel experience, and I have already been in lots of hostels around the world.

3  Thank Sabrinaniteroi
Reviewed June 25, 2012

After being booted from BVJ Opera, despite having a reservation and having paid a deposit - I arrived at this hostel to much the same story as other people have written about. Extremely poor organisation, it is very annoying to have to book each night you want to stay every morning before 9am and makes absolutely no sense. There is no communal area - only breakfast is included which was fine, but no free wifi, had to pay for a towels, pay for lockers etc.
Also I was in the room when the cleaning lady came in, they don't change or wash the wool blankets which I think is kind of gross.
Literally the only good thing about this location.

1  Thank SWhite89
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Overall this hostel was good. The smell of the hallways are a little off putting for those with a sensitive nose. The staff was helpful and very nice for the most part.

36  Thank Lmedi
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and found the location to be just perfect. It is right behind the Louvre, only a 15 minute walk to the Opera House, and like 30 minutes to either the "Marais", Notre Dame Cathedral, or the St Michel district. (All of which are amazing things to see and experience.) So the first day I checked in I had to wait until like 2:30 which wasn't the coolest thing to have to do especially when you are just arriving from a 9 hour flight. But other than that I found the whole set up to be really good. The staff were young and friendly, helpful and full of advice. I owe more than one of my new great Parisian adventures to their advice. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is varied and very good!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo