“Parfait!”

Ranked #278 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Sydney, Australia
“Parfait!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was an absolutely adorable hotel in a perfect location. It was far enough away from the bustle to be quiet, yet close enough to get to places easily.

I had a top floor room overlooking the rooftops of Paris with a bright outlook, made unusual by a bathroom with views as well. It was a little cramped due to the sloping roof, but so charming.

The lift was...well.. typically Parisian. It was cramped and slow, and didn't reach the sixth floor, which necessitated a walk up some steep steps, but to be honest, this was all part of the charm.

I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

Some minor irritations: one bottle opener for the use of the whole hotel was a bit strange, and the charges for laundry were outrageous (I did notice some local launderettes close by for future reference).

Otherwise, a lovely hotel for a lovely city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my fiancee and found this to be a great choice of hotel in Paris. The location is perfect - an easy walk to St Germain and the Latin Quarter, much of central Paris is still a (slightly longer) walk away, and several Metro and RER stations are close by for travelling further afield. The rooms are quite small but are well decorated and clean, and the bed was very comfortable and we had excellent sleep. The staff were really helpful and friendly and were happy to talk to us and share tips. The quirky and fun styling of the hotel and the rooms, and the computer/internet/TV in each room might not be high on everyone's priority list but I liked this too.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Design de la Sorbonne for two weekends at either end of my two-week trip to France. I originally wanted to stay at Hotel Belle Julliette because I had read a good review, but they didn't have availability so I went with HDdlS because it was in the same group and had good reviews on TripAdvisor. And I was extremely happy with my stay! The hotel is in a great location, on a cute small street halfway between the Pantheon and the Museum Cluny, just a few steps away from Rue Saint Germain, Jardin du Luxembourg, etc. It's also near the metro stops for Charles de Gaulle airport and the Montparnasse train station, which was important to me because I was only in town for one night each weekend as I was transiting. (As it turned out I took taxis because it was easier with the luggage, but I still appreciated the proximity.)

The hotel staff were very polite, friendly and helpful, from the online reservation to in-person treatment. One staff member in particular was great (unfortunately I didn't get his name), but when I told him I was in France to study the language, he spoke French with me and told the other staff to do the same, even though everyone's English is perfect. I really appreciated that!

The hotel was very cute and boutique-y, it is true that the hallways, elevator and rooms are somewhat small/narrow, but this didn't bother me as I am used to traveling in Europe where that is the norm. The first weekend I stayed in a superior queen overlooking the courtyard, and the second weekend in a superior with view of the Sorbonne (street-side). Both were perfectly fine for my needs as one person traveling alone. The second room had a full-size shower and bath and a little more space in the room. The beds were very comfortable, and the rooms were quiet.

Breakfast was lovely, everything tastefully done -- loved the homemade muesli in little canning jars!

The hotel will also arrange taxi and shuttle service to the airport, which was very convenient.

Overall I was extremely happy with my choice, and I would definitely recommend HDdlS to friends, and stay there again in the future (which I expect to as I will be traveling through Paris often in the coming months).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GuluGirl
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Read reviews but booked anyway just because the pictures looked cute. I liked the modern chic style. We were completely happy with the rooms - yes you have to position the suitcases on the floor but if you push it into the corner of the room beside the beds it really doesn't get in the way.

We were there end of august which i guess is summer break for the university students so it was nice and quiet.

Although it is not really at the heart of the Paris touristy stuff (Champs Elysees, Louvre, etc) - i loved that it was located near the Luxembourg gardens (5mins) and is walking distance to the Pantheon (5mins) and Notre Dame Cathedral (10-15min. walk).

We also flew in via CDG and flew out via Orly - the good thing about this hotel is from both airports, you do not need to change train to get to the nearest RER stop.

if you are the type though, that wants to keep coming back to your hotel if your feet are tired or to drop off some shopping, this might be a bit far... we aren't that type of traveler, we leave, explore the city the entire day and just come back at night so this was fine.

Amazing Art Nouveau restaurant Bouillon Racine is also a 3-minute walk from here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LinziWinzi
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Hotel Design Sorbonne is situated next door to the Sorbonne University in the 6th arrondisement of St Germain - perfect location for great food and avoiding the crowds a blocl or two away that swarm around the river - but is about a 10 minute walk to Notre Dame Cathedral.
Being a boutique hotel in Paris, it is of course very small (as is the norm in Paris) although it has beautiful modern french style decor and a little breakfast area downstairs.
I stayed here for 5 nights on my honeymoon in September and we had a deluxe room with a little window giving us views across the rooftops dominated by the Pantheon. It also had a little ensuite which was perfect. Given that Paris is not cheap, we booked the hotel 4 months ahead to take advantage of their early-bird rates which made a big difference to our budget - but means of course you cannot cancel your booking.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, though the only things I would improve with this hotel is to put a small refridgerator in the room (we bought a LOT of sweets) and add a room safe. Even so, I'd still consider staying here again next time for a touch of luxury on a budget.

Room Tip: Book deluxe room or above for a romantic little room.
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I think I am not preloaded for Paris prices. I had heard rooms were small but assumed that there would actually be a place to put a suitcase. Our room faced a courtyard and was extremely noisy. We booked late and it was hard to find hotels. I wouldn't stay here again by choice.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Thorspecken
hoteldelasorbonne, Directeur général at Hotel Design Sorbonne, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Thorspecken,

Many thanks to taking the time to share your experience in our hotel. September is indeed very high season with the highest price. We always our best rates on our website , and the earlier you book, the cheaper it is. For your next stay, try to book earlier and you’ll surely get a good rate on a larger room, such as one of our Design Deluxe rooms.

We hope this will help you to stay with us again soon.

Kind regards

David GERMAIN
Hotel Manager
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We booked this hotel after searching Tripadvisor, and despite the reviews, we were still surprised how small our "superior" room was. Having said that, the bed was supremely comfortable, the hotel was extremely clean and the decor was eye catching. We opted for the breakfast inclusive package and for the extra we paid, we felt it was good value. The hotel staff went out of their way to be welcoming and helpful and were more than happy to look after our cases after check out, until we had to leave Paris. The location of the hotel is great, being in the Latin Quarter, yet only 3 stops on the nearby RER to Gare du Nord. We will definitely return.