“Pleasant, convenient and reasonable”
Review of Hotel Boileau

Hotel Boileau
Ranked #1,174 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 7, 2009

This 2 star hotel, well appointed and situated in a clean calm residential area seems ideal for a short break in Paris. The room was clean if a little smaller than pictures suggested. Access to the city centre was easy using the metro close by (Exelmans). A 40 minute walk takes you to the Eiffel Tower. The only watch words seem to be "confirm reservation". We had reserved two doubles for two nights by phone and to obtain a better rate. Upon arrival we were told that we had only booked 2 singles. Luckily we had written confirmation (our e-mail of confirmation) and they found two doubles. The next morning we were asked to settle as they assumed we were leaving. Again our written confirmation persuaded them that we had in reality booked for two nights and they allowed us to remain. Although they were pleasant about it all, it did raise the heart rate and does show up a fairly chaotic reservation system.
Free Wifi and computer use a good bonus.
A very recommendable hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CoalfaceFrance
There are newer reviews for Hotel Boileau

Reviewed November 22, 2009

I spent a lot of time deciding where to stay in Paris. There's an overwhelming number of hotels and a great many of them are exorbitantly priced. I opted to stay at the Hotel Boileau because it seemed to meet my requirements of being clean, safe, relatively inexpensive and not too far from the city center. It was definitely all of those things.

The hotel is in a pretty quiet neighborhood and a couple of blocks away from the metro station. It's pretty no frills. My room was on the third level and I had to climb my way up a narrow staircase in the dark with a heavy suitcase. I had a hard time opening my room door because the key seemed to be waiting for me to solve some kind of riddle. After sweating my way up those stairs with my bag and a long day of sightseeing and travel I just wanted to get in my room. It took me about 10 minutes to do so. I know I wasn't the only one with this problem as I heard my neighbor do the same the next night. Maybe French keys are different than American keys?

My room was small and unassuming - a bed a little larger than a twin took up half of the room, there was a desk with a lamp, a closet and a bathroom. I was pleased that the bathroom was large enough to maneuver around and the water pressure in the shower was strong with a movable showerhead. There's also a TV in the room, but be warned if you do not speak French because there was only one non-French channel and it was BBC CNN. I am a TV junkie and as such resorted to watching "Law and Order: SVU" dubbed in French. I learned that "kidnapping" is the same word in French as in English only it's pronounced, "Keed-nap-PEENG".

The front desk staff was excellent. They were patient with me as I asked in French if they spoke English (which they did) and were of tremendous help when I needed help figuring out which trains to take where. Also, on my last day day there, they were kind enough to store my luggage while I spent the day sightseeing.

The hotel was probably a few metro stops too far west than I would have liked, but it wasn't too bad. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for travelers who are going for sightseeing and tourism and don't plan to spend very much time in the room, but need a clean, safe place to crash at night.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank KeishaInSF
Reviewed October 27, 2009

There are pros and cons to this hotel:

Pros:
-Located close to Exelman's metro stop so it was very easy to get wherever we wanted to go.
-Large bathroom
-Friendly staff
-Close to a laundry mat, grocery store, and bakery

Cons:
-Nice hotel but very small. One friend is very tall and his legs dangled over the bed some so that's something to consider if that would be an issue.
-Our windows faced another section of the hotel so we couldn't always leave the window open or we'd be looking directly into someone else's room
-There's a restaurant just a few steps from the hotel but we never saw it open
-No elevator (not a problem for us for others it might be)

For me and my friends , it was a decent place to stay but if I were with my parents for example i think I'd try someplace else.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank qkslvr0305
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We have just come back from a 2 night stay in Paris to see the sights. The hotel is conveniently located, it's a 5 minute walk from Exelmans metro station down a quiet side street. It was close enough for us to walk back into the centre of Paris to do all the tourist bits - Eiffel Tower etc. and still have enough energy to walk back again.
The hotel is situated in a 'quieter' part of Paris but still busy enough to know that you're close. What surprised us was that the prices for even the simplest things was extortionate! We sat down for a beer and a coke and the bill was €7. We thought it was a one off but it seems everywhere was the same or more!
We wanted to sit and watch the world go by - we didn't realise that our money was going to go so much faster than we were!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

ROOMS

Our room was great, full of charcter with antique fixtures and fittings, an immaculately clean en-suite, and a flat screen TV. Obviously at 2* you shouldn't expect Hilton-style luxury, but the room was clean, well serviced, and more than adequate for our needs.

LOCATION

The Hotel is located in a quiet an unintimidating residential neighbourhood of the 16th Arondissement, typically an area reserved for the well heeled of Paris. Boileau is only a stones throw away from Exelmans metro station, which is around 10 minutes from Trocadero (Eiffel Tower) or 15 minutes to the Louvre. Absolutely no problems travelling back late at night, and there is a conveniently located mini-mart just outside the station.

FOOD

Breakfast, at 8 Euros, we felt was a little steep so we elected just to visit one of the hundreds of delivious bakeries dotted around Paris; pastries start at around 0.8 Euros and represent much better value.

SERVICE

All the staff were courteous and helpful, fulfilling all our outlandish requests from travel adaptors all the way to champagne glasses and ice.

VALUE FOR MONEY

At £65 per night, it's more than one usually pays for a 2* hotel, but this is Paris, and the hotel was excellent, so £65 echoes a resounding 'reasonable'.

OVERALL

The Hotel Boileau was an excellent place to stay and we would wholly recommend it in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank adamp_666
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Of the 2-star hotels I've stayed in in Paris this is my favourite (so far). I got quite a good rate on a late booking (so that helped to impress me) but it would have been worth it had it been more expensive. Firstly, the hotel receptionist was lovely (spoke at least 3 languages fluently and was always smiling and helpful). The hotel reception has a bit of character (not always present in a 2-star) and this carries over into the rooms, with proper brown furniture (no melanine, formica or nasty mdf) and inoffensive decor. My room had no view (ground floor at the back of the hotel) but I booked a single late for one night so there is a good chance it was the worse room in the establishment - the lack of any view aside, it was great value.

Bed linen was good and clean, bathroom was spotless and the shower (no bath) functioned perfectly (always a bonus) and even the TV was above average (flat screen with 20 channels) . The location is great if you don't mind a 20-30 minute Metro ride to the tourist centres. It's on a quiet side-road in a quiet part of Paris, but it is in easy reach of some nice places like the Bois de B, the Seine and Parc Andre Citroen across the river, as well as the Expo centre at the Porte de Versailles. There are some nice local shops and a market just a stones throw away as well.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank GusMcT
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I'm a middle-aged solo male traveller. I wanted to visit Paris, where I lived for 2 years in my misspent early adulthood. Hadn't been back since. I was on a budget. My criteria was quiet, safe, clean, and on the metro. The Boileau matched up in every category. A great 2 star hotel.

I booked on the Paris Tourism site -- lots of good reviews and at 50 euros a night, the price was right. No payment necessary before I arrived.

The Boileau is in the 16th arrondissment, near Porte St Cloude. A nice, civilised, quiet neighbourhood. About 300m walk to metro Excelman.

No elevator, no air con. It was hot, but I had requested a quiet room and they gave me one on the small courtyard, so I slept with window wide open. Only thing missing was a fan.

Bathrooms recently renovated -- excellent. Carpet and wallpaper a little aged, but not a problem. Firm clean bed, flat screen TV. Walls a little thin, but rooms situated so it's not an issue. Also, clientele seems civilised.

Staff very helpful, let me use staff iron to press my shirts.

I was out most of the time -- 4 days, and the hotel worked great as a base. Also, ED grocery store about 5 minutes away for picnic supplies.

Didn't take breakfast, as I usually find them too expensive and not too nutritious.

The hotel Boileau was a big part of the success of my Paris stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank canayen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Passy
Holiday Inn Paris Auteuil
Holiday Inn Paris Auteuil
#800 of 1,804 in Paris
Radisson Blu Hotel, Paris-Boulog...
#3 of 24 in Boulogne-Billancourt
Hotel Murat
#1,575 of 1,804 in Paris
Passy
Queen's Hotel
Queen's Hotel
#967 of 1,804 in Paris
Ibis Styles Paris Boulogne Marce...
#7 of 24 in Boulogne-Billancourt

Been to Hotel Boileau? Share your experiences!