“Good location but facilities were disappointing”

Hotel Bellevue Paris Montmartre
Ranked #857 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I found the Montmartre section of the city very nice and interesting. Easy walking distance to shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. The hotel itself wasn't so great but the bed was comfortable enough. The shower head was broken and I had some difficulty getting them to repair it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I had originally booked into another hotel in Paris but it was truly awful so we booked a room for 2 nights at Bellevue Hotel that same day. They came to our rescue. The hotel is right at the bottom of the Sacre Couer and has excellent transport links (close to 2 metro stations), lots of shops and restaurants. The hotel is clean, warmly and tastefully decorated with all you need for a weekend getaway. Unfortunately they made us change rooms after the first night because of previous bookings from other clients but we went from a very small room to a huge room! They had the same furniture and finishings but I would recommend asking for a room on the 4th floor if you want some space. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but it was on offer. The only downside to this hotel was there were no English channels on the tv and the view was terrible! Behind the hotel is a demolition site which is worked on all day (very noisy) but work was finished by 5pm each day. The staff were really lovely and friendly and gave us great advice about restaurants etc in the local area. I would stay here again as the room was only 100euro per night which I believe is reasonable for Paris.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor for big rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Last week I stayed for a couple of days in this hotel, and I must say, there is just nothing I can complain about. This may sound quite unbelievable but you have to know that I am a journalist and I am used to look critical at things. However, I haven't found a thing in this hotel that I can be critical about. The location of the hotel is brilliant, being just next to the Sacre-Coeur in the middle of Montmartre, and very important: very close to the metro.
The normal rooms are neat, cleaned every day, and have all the necessary accomodations (shower, TV) but without any unnecessary like a bath besides the shower.
And most important: the hotel staff is friendly and especially very flexible. When I arrived I booked a room on the fourth floor, but then I discovered that the height did more to me than expected. So I asked if I could get a room a bit lower and the staff want looking and did effort of changing my room with someone who still had to arrive at a room on the second floor. So he or she would get my room on the fourth and I got the one on the second. That's just brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeroen L
Reviewed July 21, 2012

As a student, I had stayed in many hotels about Paris, but Bellevue was my favorite where price and quality were concerned. It was nice and clean and the service went out of their way to accommodate me. I would recommend if you're looking for lodgings in Montmarte

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have been in Bellevue Hotel in Jan 2011, stayed for 1 week. The hotel is in an excellent location, walking distance to the sacre coeur and the underground that will take you everywhere in Paris. Montmartre is an average neighbourhood, yet safe and no problem in this. Also you will find easily many bars, restaurants, gift shops for souvenirs and the Moulin Rouge.
For the hotel itself, the blonde fine lady at the reception (cant remember her name) was very nice and helpful and helped me a lot planning some of my trips. She talks good english and has a beautiful smile. Other receptionist were not that friendly (a guy and another lady) and their english was average. The room was small and the bathroom also (yet fair enough, not to spoil your stay). The continental breakfast seems like a standard in Paris hotels. Frankly, I didnt like it much but its OK. Other people would be just fine with it.
I dont remember that I had any problems during my stay there, I recommend it strongly having the above points in mind.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Room was a good size, but that's the good news! On entering the hotel, I was glared at by the receptionist for slamming the door open (thought it looked heavier that it was). On entering our room we were hit by a terrible smell that lingered on our clothes. Later at night I asked the reception if they could give me change of a 10 Euro note to buy something from the vending machine and the reply was just "No". The following morning we went down for breakfast and were totally ignored by the lady working in the small kitchen. The "buffet table" contained a basket of sugar cubes and slices of baguette. We had to squeeze onto the end of a table and after about ten minutes, the lady eventually brought us a basket of croissants, pain au chocolat and three yoghurts.

Our room looked out onto the street at the front and the view was of a laundry. Thankfully it was closed the morning we stayed. We have stayed in the next street before and feel that the area has went downhill in just a few years. On getting off the metro, we stumbled onto a fight in the street between two street vendors. We were with our 13 year old son and did not feel safe for the first time ever in Paris. When we moved on to our next hotel, the smell of the Bellevue stayed on our clothes. We have had to wash everything on our return home to get rid of the smell!

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

Below is our management answer:
1)”Room was a good size, ……..good news!”
True; Thanks for the compliment. Our bedrooms are rather large by Paris Standards. For your information, the hotel was renovated in September 2003 and went through another renovation recently and is now in perfect condition. Further, our renovation, was done by an architect and decorator that did several BEST WESTERN 3* and 4* hotels in Paris, using the same kind of furniture and some of the same suppliers.
2) “On entering the hotel, …..the door open (thought it looked heavier that it was)”:
Not true. We checked with our receptionnists and none of them stared at the client. Our service is of an excellent standard. Our receptionists are nice and friendly and speak perfect English. In fact, we choose carefully our staff based on its friendliness, quality of service and reception skills. Therefore, we have several receptionists who are professionally trained to assist clients.
In practice, they are always happy and ready book taxi and bus or boat tours and theatre reservations and to give out information to every Client checking-in every day: 1 map of Paris including metro map and a printed red mark showing where our hotel is, a map of Montmartre with street names, the nearby metro and bus stops, how to get to the Sacré-Coeur, the Moulin Rouge and other interesting places. Moreover, we even compiled a list of many restaurants, cafés and dance clubs in Montmartre and in Paris that we hand out to all customers asking for good places to eat or go out to.
Finally, we do receive about 2100 clients per month and most of them are satisfied.
3) On entering our room ……… our clothes:
Not true. We checked with the governess, and she confirmed that she performed her tasks as well as usual and the room was clean and fresh.
In terms of service, we are using a professional cleaning company, which has tens of hotels under management: therefore, our rooms are impeccably cleaned every day and our hotel is kept in a fresh and sparkling clean condition by a supervisor and 4 cleaning persons, something we pride ourselves on.
Further, we do receive supplies of fresh linen (towels and sheets) every day from one of the premier linen supplier for hotels ( “Grenelle”), including 5 star hotels. Therefore, our towels are fresh and bright. Finally, we do provide as much soap and shampoo as one needs.
I wonder why the Client did not call the Manager (I). I would have made sure to give him another room and solve the problem.
4)”Later at night I asked the reception if they could give me change of a 10 Euro note to buy something from the vending machine and the reply was just "No" “:
As mentionned above, our receptionnists do their best to assist our guests, but our management policy is to keep the cashier closed late at night, and thus the night shift person could not give change. Apart from that, and as mentionnd above, our receptionnists are always happy to assist our guests in any way they can.
5)”The following morning we went down for breakfast……… brought us a basket of croissants, pain au chocolat and three yoghurts”:
Untrue. All our clients get breakfast on time. Also, upon arrival, our receptionists announce clearly the hours of the Breakfast which is served between 7:30AM and 10AM. Moreover, these hours are also displayed as behind every door of our 36 bedrooms: there are 2 services, one at 7h30, one at 8h45 precisely so that our client avoid any waiting time. Finally, all of these hours are also displayed in a big frame at the entrée of the Breakfast Room at the Lobby.
In fact, the client came close to 10AM, when the breakfast room was already full. Despite that, the staff did their upmost to find a table for the clients as quickly as possible, which they did.
Further, we are very surprised that the client did not appreciate our Breakfast which is delicious. I wish that Client had called the Manager and I would have made sure that client gets the breakfast that meets his or her expectations.

For your information, and as advertised, we serve Continental Breakfast on a buffet, which includes orange juice, tea, coffee, chocolate, hot milk, as well as corn flakes,fresh and hot croissants, pain au chocolat (chocolate bread), and baguettes, butter, jam, fresh fruits, cheese, fruits yogurts, organic yogurts,fruit compote, etc., all of these at will. If a client so desires, our waitresses can serve several glasses of orange juice or coffee, several croissants, etc.
Also, we get fresh bread and “croissants” / “pain au chocolat” deliveries from one of the best hotel providers in Paris (Maison Leriche). Finally, breakfast is served everyday by a professional waitress who gives excellent service. She is working for a leading hotel management company, and is extremely professional.

Therefore, the great majority of our clients do enjoy our breakfast. Finally, as mentioned above, the Client should have called the Manager (I) and I would have made sure that he gets a table quickly and the proper breakfast.

6) “Our room looked out onto the street at the front ……. in Paris”:
Not true. There is absolutely NO LAUNDRY across the sreet and I am starting to wonder whether this client is talking about our hotel. In fact, there are 14 hotel Bellevue in Paris….
In any case, our area is very safe as this is a commercial and artistic area in the center of Montmartre, located only 100 meters from the Chuch of Sacre Coeur and the famous Place du Tertre. It is an area famous for having been the home of famous painters such as Impressionists, musicians, and all kind of artists. It is also located about 10 minutes from rue des Abesses, which has a lot of restaurants, bars, wine and cheese shops, movie theaters, etc. Moreover, the Moulin Rouge is onlt 15 minutes away by foot. By subway, we are very close to the main centers of attraction of Paris:for instance, one can go by subway to the Arc de Triomphe without any switch in 15 minutes, Opera and Galeries Lafayettes in 25 minutes, Eiffel Tower in 30 minutes,etc.

CONCLUSION:
1) Overall, our hotel is extremely clean and very nice, with quite large rooms by Paris standarts. Our personnel is professionnal and always ready to help and the street area is very safe and entertaining. Finally, our location is very close to all the main points of attraction of Paris.
2) We wish that the Client would have called the reception immediately and we would have made sure to solve all the Client’s problems immediately and change his room and make sure that the client gets the proper breakfast.
3) Finally, we make sure that our prices are very competitive and even relatively cheap for the quality of service. We really offer an excellent ratio of quality to price.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

well nothing good bout this hotel. small rooms with even smaller bathrooms.very bad breakfast with very rude black lady serving it.its location is the only good thing. near to metro anvers and sacre coeur just 5min walk. very bad experience

Room Tip: avoid booking this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Please find below our management answer:

1) “well….. small rooms with even smaller bathrooms”:
Not true. The hotel was renovated by an architect and decorator that did several BEST WESTERN 3* and 4* hotels in Paris, using the same kind of furniture and some of the same suppliers.
Therefore, all the rooms have a size that meets the rigorous standards of the City of Paris ‘they range in size from 10 sq. meters to 20 sq. meters which is very spacious by the standards of a big and historical city like Paris.

Furthermore, for your information, the furniture, including the wardrobe, has been hand made by a top French “artisan” with specialty wood; the wall paper is from Osborne & Little, a first class British manufacturer; the fabrics for the curtains are from Designer’s Guild, another prime British manufacturer, and the carpet is from the most famous French carpet manufacturer Ege. The colours are exquisite (black/white or Bordeaux/yellow tones). Furthermore, we have beautiful frames on the walls on each floor (Impressionists, Chagall; Picasso, modern art, etc).
Further, all the equipment is “state of the art” systems, including the bathroom fixtures (Grohe, a top german manufacturer), the plumbing and electrical system, the TV, phone and internet system (France Telecom), FREE WIFI, etc.

Why didn’t the client call to ask for the manager in order to change their room? We could have done this easily and solve the problem.
2) “very bad breakfast ….with very rude black lady serving it”:
First of all, the comment about the color was completely inappropriate and unecessary.
We are very surprised that the client did not appreciate our Breakfast which is delicious. I wish that Client had called the Manager and I would have made sure that client gets the breakfast that meets his or her expectations.

Therefore, the great majority of our clients do enjoy our breakfast.
3)”its location is the only good thing. near to metro anvers and sacre coeur just 5min walk”:
Thank you for the compliment about our location which we confirm. We are located in a commercial and artistic area in the center of Montmartre, located only 100 meters from the Chuch of Sacre Coeur and the famous Place du Tertre. It is an area famous for having been the home of famous painters such as Impressionists, musicians, and all kind of artists. It is also located about 10 minutes from rue des Abesses, which has a lot of restaurants, bars, wine and cheese shops, movie theaters, etc. Moreover, the Moulin Rouge is onlt 15 minutes away by foot. By subway, we are very close to the main centers of attraction of Paris:for instance, one can go by subway to the Arc de Triomphe without any switch in 15 minutes, Opera and Galeries Lafayettes in 25 minutes, Eiffel Tower in 30 minutes,etc.

We should add that we have other very good things to mention about our hotel:

a) Our service is of an excellent standard. Our receptionists are nice and friendly and speak perfect English. In fact, we choose carefully our staff based on its friendliness, quality of service and reception skills.

b) Our rooms are very well cleaned every day and our hotel is kept in a fresh clean condition by a governess and 4 cleaning persons, something we pride ourselves on.

c) Overall, we also offer extremely good services for reasonable prices, which are within range of the other hotels in the area. those services include:

Services in the hotel:
• 24hour Reception • Free Internet access (Wi-Fi) throughout the hotel
• A 24hours Business Corner equipped with a PC & printer
• Safety box at the Reception desk • International adapter plugs available on request.
• Sewing kit, shoe polish & iron with ironing board available upon demand
• Breakfast room • Vending machines at the Breakfast Room • Lift
• Paying Parking in the area • Reservations for transport to the airport or taxis

Services in the rooms :
• Bathrooms and WC • Bathrooms with bathtub in the Triple rooms
• Sound proof windows
• Television & Telephone • Free Internet access (Wi-fi)
• Possibility of a printer or fax in the room upon request
CONCLUSION:
1) Overall, our hotel is extremely clean and very nice, with quite large rooms by Paris standarts. Our personnel is professionnal and always ready to help and the street area is very safe and entertaining. Finally, our breakfast is excellent and our location is very close to all the main points of attraction oF Paris.
2) We wish that the Client would have called the reception immediately and we would have made sure to solve all the Client’s problems immediately and change his room.