“Good value for the money.”

Ibis Paris Avenue de la Republique
Ranked #544 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Vista, California
“Good value for the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel was nothing special, but it met my expectations for a solid, safe budget hotel. Pros: very pleasant front desk personnel, close to the metro (about a 5 minute walk, then 10-20 minutes from most attractions), nice view of the street and surrounding area, close to a laundromat, tall closets, free internet on the computer downstairs. Cons: Pillows were uncomfortable, weird smell in the bathroom (smelled a bit like marijuana at times?), difficult to get the shower temperature right in the mornings.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

My brother, father, boyfriend and I were in a quad room for 4 nights in May. The quad room isn't listed on the site, but we paid an extra 7 euros per night for an extra bed (2 singles and one double). Our rate was 99 euros per night, which is very hard to beat in Paris! The room was a bit cramped because of the extra bed, but it would've been a bit spacious without it. My only complaint was the lack of shower curtain, we had to stand sideways so the floor didn't get soaked. Housekeeping was done daily with beds made and all towels replaced. We had ample towels and extra blankets. Our room (101) had a large widow that faced Ave. de la Republique. If noise is a concern, there are rooms that face the neighbouring buildings. The wireless internet had a strong signal the entire stay and was very fast. A woman at the front desk was gracious enough to let me print a document for free as well.

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from Republique metro station. There are plus network atms, good budget friendly restaurants, an apothecary (one right across the street and one that is open late and on Sundays around the corner) and tons of cafes in the area. We did not opt for the continental breakfast, instead we went across to Chez Jean for coffee and pastries.

The staff was excellent, especially Tomasz (sp?). He was there most days and nights and was very nice to talk to.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will most likely return on our next trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JuliaLovesEurope
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

The Grand Hotel de l'Avenue is good value for its excellent location near the Place de la République and Canal Saint-Martin.

The rooms are small, but this is Paris after all! Most importantly (for me anyway) they are clean and secure. This is the sort of place you leave your things and get out there and enjoy the city.

The staff are very helpful, I was able to store my (considerable amount of) luggage in the hotel as I arrived very early, way before check-in time. The man on front desk spoke English very well and the other staff were friendly.

My only complaint would be that the room was very warm (I was there in July), uncomfortably so at night but when we opened the windows it was noisy as it's on busy main road.

All in all, though, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank myrollercoaster
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from nov26 to dec5. Since we were on a tight budget, we had not many options. We decided to stay there because 1 the price was ok, 2 the location was great and 3 it wasn`t a shared bathroom, we had our own. I`ll try to make a simple general review:
bad points: no elevator (our room was on the third floor and it was terrible to go up and down with all the luggages. the hotel staff never offered to help); the guys working on the elevator issue started working at 8 am every day (the work consisted of smoking cigarets staring at the elevator hole); the breakfast was extremely expensive; the rooms were noisy
good points: the room was clean and the linen/towels were changed everyday (in Europe, this is a big plus on budget hotels), the heater was very effective (we went through very low temperatures and couldn't tell when in the room), it was walking distance from the metro (repuplique station), there were 2 nice mini markets walking distance (monoprix), there were at least 5 very nice and not expensive restaurants also walking distance from the hotel.
now, when it comes to the staff, it`s hard to classify. I speak basic french and tried to start the conversations in french, and then it got switched to English with no problem (everyone we met working at the hotel spoke to us in english, but we always tried a little french first).
at first we thought the guy from the reception desk was rude, but then we found out that it was his way of trying being nice with us (weird, but true). they were helpful when we needed to schedule a taxi to the airport and when the maid forgot to replace the towels.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vanessabr
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

We arrived in Paris by train and found our way to the hotel by the subway system. There is a subway station a few minutes walk from the hotel which made this very convenient for us.

Our first impression of the staff on check in was that he was rather rude. But as the days went by (we stayed 6 nights) we got to know the staff very well and they were all very friendly and helpful.

Our room was on the 2nd floor and as the lift was being renovated we had to use the stairs which wasn't all that bad except on arrival when we had to lug our bags up the stairs. We had a private double room with bathroom. It had a double bed, desk and chair and tv with windows that opened out onto the street and had beautiful avenue views. The bathroom was tiny but clean and served it purpose.

There was free wifi in the rooms which was very handy. We didn't have the breakfast as it seems a little expensive at 6 Euro each. We choose instead to eat in the cafe/supermarket across the road for less money.

The location was great. Only a few minutes to the subway and then only a few stops on the train to all the attractions in Paris. the area was nice too. There are lots of restaurants at the Republique Square a few minutes away and cafes at the door of the hotel.

Would definately stay here again and recommend this place to anyone on a budget but looking for a central location in Paris.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

So, here comes the rant I have been holding for... 3 months.
Please go to my reviews and see I am not a complainer, then read why you should not stay in this Hotel.
So, we arrive, first issue: no elevator. Second issue: 3rd floor room. Ok, that's fine, I am in Europe and on vacation, let my hubby carry the bags upstairs.
Now, I am trying to communicate with the receptionist, who apart from not speaking English, nor Spanish, not Italian, acted like a 5 year old, don't think I exaggerate, the next day I found him playing video games in the reception. I breath deeply as any French non-speaker in Paris would and I though it was funny.
The next day I was awakened by a construction crew who was working NEXT to my room. Are you kidding me? 8am? After all, I am on vacation.
I go downstairs and the morning receptionist does not speak a word of English, at least she acted like an adult and tells me to wait until Wednesday to talk to the Manager, who speaks Spanish.
Wednesday morning arrives, I go to speak to the Manager to ask her to either move us to a different room or give me a steep discount on the almost 100 Euro crappy room, we stayed for 4 nights.
She asked me, politely, how much discount would I like? I said, 20 Euro a night, which I thought was reasonable. Well................
She started yelling at me and my mix of Italian and Spanish blood LOST IT. The funny things is, she look at my information and say verbatim: "You Americans think your Hotels are better in the US, you are cheap and always like to complain." I said to her, I live in the US but I am not American.
So, apart from the noise, the room was old and dirty. The only good thing is the Hotel's location in Republique.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diazbacci
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

We arrived at this hotel with another couple after a week driving around France and hopping from hotel to hotel.When we arrived we were told there was renovations going on and the lift was out of order and unfortunantly our rooms were on the 3rd floor.I know there is no "good time" for renovations but the middle of summer peak seems a little odd!
Apart from this we reallt thought this hotel was good value.Compared to the small size rooms we had previously experienced on our last visit to paris these rooms were a little larger and especially the bathrooms.One thing that would make it a little better would be a little bar fridge in room,it makes such a difference
There is great places to eat around hotel with supermarkets, cafes,bars all around you and the metro only a 5minute walk from hotel which will get you to anywhere in paris.If you are coming from the airport expect to encounter stairs en route with the metro.
Staff were friendly and helpful

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple