“Simply splendid”

Hotel Original Paris
Ranked #160 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Last week we stayed for the first time at the Original. We wanted a hotel in the heart of Paris so we followed the advice of a friend and I have it say I couldn't have been more pleased. The room was modern, really clean and so very beautiful, we couldn't have wished for more. And about breakfast, it was delicious. Of course, it certainly didn't hurt that we got the breakfast for free because we stayed for 4 nights.
Very good quality for the price we paid and the staff was helpfull too.
I highly recommend it to all those who want a great hotel in the center of Paris.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabien c, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Original Paris, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Hello,
Thank you so much for your great comment posted here. It does bring us a smile to hear such feedback and mostly that you enjoyed your stay. It was our pleasure to have you with us and we hope your return home went well. We wish you a great holiday season and all best wishes for this coming New Year 2013! :)

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well this is a balanced review for a very nice property. First off the accomodations in the room, the bed, the linens, the bath-all very nice and clearly way better than most Paris hotels. In addition this is a great location to see the city from, 50 meters to a major metro/subway stop. All pluses.

And i really did have a full view of la tour eifell from my bed-not a partial-a full view

On the downside i describe this view from my bed, because its the only place you will be when you are in the room. Every other square inch of the room is a table, the bath or the doorway. Very easy to touch several walls at once. Big plus, if you ever wanted to practice what it would be like to do it in an airplane bathroom-well my WC was just that size-so practice away if you'd like.

I think the pluses outweigh the minuses on this one. Paris hotels tend to disappoint, this one actually comes through in a few areas

Room Tip: all the rooms are different here i am told, so you are on your own.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WorldTravelRod
Fabien c, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Original Paris, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Hello,
Well thank you for the comment you have left us. It was our pleasure to have you stay at the Hotel. We well noted the plus and minus you have shared and we thank you for the overall "Plus" verdict :) Indeed the rooms on the top floor are all singles except one. They are small by foreigners standards and the large single bed, 120 width, does make it even smaller.
Rest assured, next time here, and we hope so, we will let you taste a Double Original or Double Executive if you agree, and I think you could be surprised indeed....but that is a surprise :)
Thanks again and we hope your return home went well.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Been in Paris for a few days and I didn't really know where to stay until a person I was talking in a bar told me the "Original" was near, so I went there immediately. I didn't really hesitate as far as I was looking quickly for a place to stay.
Everything was just fine and the staff was incredibly gentle and helpful, the decorations are very frenchy-style and interesting, the rooms are also amazing, very original!
I'd recommend to anyone, it's really a mind-blowing place (+ affordable prices, no surprises)!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Hello,
Thank you so much for the comment you have left us on Trip Advisor. We are glad you did find us in the end and I do remember your arrival. It was great to have you with us at the Hotel and we are happy to hear that the Hotel and our staff made your stay enjoyable. We hope your return home went well and we say to you "à bientot" as we do expect you back here in the future, and this time, not "by luck".

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I had have been to Paris already and we were somewhat familiar with the Marais area which we simply love. Little did we know about the Original Hotel ! We found it « by luck » or not, but we were simply blown out of our stay there. We had the Joker room. Get this, between the black and white, the fashion shoe on the wall, total spirit of game and not to forget a magician hat in our locker ! Staff are great and speak well english. The Hotel is located meters away from the subway and in fact pretty much center in the city. We went to Ile Saint louis by foot. You get to Champs Elysées in just 20 minutes by subway and direct. Bed was confy and large, no noise from outside to disturb. Breakfast was cool and french, just what we would have gotten outside really .

we could go on and on but the bottom line is that we found a little jewel in our favorite city spot.

They opened not too long ago and we’re so happy to have found the place. We will come back again this is no question.

Room Tip: I stayed in the 5th Floor room number 504 and it had gold decoration and a small terrace we had a go...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gzapata
Fabien c, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Original Paris, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Hello,
Thank you so much for the great comment you have left us. It is a pleasure to have such feedback and it was our pleasure too to share it with the staff here. Good to know that your trip to paris was a success...again...and that we were a part of it :)
By the way, you have a big Hello from "you know who"!
All best wishes for this end of the year from all of us and we hope to have you back next year indeed :)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Overall we did enjoy our stay at Hotel Original and the location was very close to the Bastille Metro station which goes to lines 1,5, and 8 of the metro. Metro is a fairly easy way of getting around once you get used to the way everything is laid out. We did take a taxi from the hotel as well and a taxi from the hotel to the Eiffel tower depending on traffic was 10 to 25 euro. Often we would walk from the hotel to the Louvre and Notre Dame, i would say it was a lovely 15-30 minute walk. To some this is appealing to some it is not so I decided to add just in case.
RECEPTION: the reception area is whimpsical with hanging lights that remind you of jelly fish, the reception staff were friendly and professional and actually had a room for us before check in.
BREAKFAST: I booked on expedia and breakfast was not included for me but we did eat breakfast here 2 days in a row. The breakfast price is a tad high for what would get. I am not 100% but I think it was around 15 euro. The breakfast itself is continental and contained pastries (chocolatine and croissants) butter, variety of tasty jams, yogurt and your choice of coffee or tea and also a fresh squeezed oranje juice. It was actually filling and tasty but if you are looking for eggs and bacon or variety I would skip this breakfast.
ROOMS: the rooms all tend to have a theme, mine was the 7 deadly sins, overall the room was okay, small but such is life when it Paris and most of Europe in general. I know they do have a family room, i have not seen that room so i cannot comment on size or function. The 7 deadly sins room was interesting not too much storage space and everything was pretty open. No door to shower area or bathroom in general. So might work for some akward for some. I might add so it is not confusing the toilet in europe is usually seperate from shower/bath area so that did have a small area with a door in the other area of the room but claustrophobic beware you close the door and you can barey move in the toilet area. I know it is not meant for a dance party but you can definately touch all walls while on the toilet. Overall the bed was okay and I am glad I did not get the room next to us. The hotel staff were cleaning the room and I peeked in since i saw something odd. There was a tub in the middle of the room right next to the bed. Again cool for some akward for others, from reviews below that is your only form for bathing and no shower just the attached showerwand but no shower curtain either.
ELEVATOR: there is only 1 elevator and it is small, fits 2 ppl max with 1 piece of luggage. We were scared to use it most of the time and after doing some stair training in Paris anyways we did not mind to take the spiral stair case. Being on the top floor taking the spiral staircase can take a lot out of you and we are a fairly athletic bunch. Overall the hotel would get a poor wheelchair accessible rating.
I am not sure what I left out, I will post a few pictures later. If you have any questions feel free to email me them and i will answer. The hotel is not a bad hotel if you get a good deal and the area around the hotel is decent so this hotel should still be one to consider depending on certain factors mentioned above. Thanks

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank warm_please
Fabien c, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Original Paris, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Hello,
We would like to thank you for the comment and actually the detailed description you have posted here on TripAdvisor. Whimsical is indeed an interesting word. We are glad that the unusual decor and our staff pleased you during your stay.
We have indeed several room themes, each unique, which offer quite some originality to say the least. One of the feature is as you saw, the bathtub in the middle of the room, and sure it pleases not everyone. The good thing is that since we have either shower, bathtub or even tubs with lights all around, the guest is free to ask his or her preferences and we, on our side, will do or best to accomodate these requests.
Well, looking thru your notes again, you have proven you newly appointment as our "honorary" hotel guide and we hope you will take it to heart :)

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our lengthy stay at this charming hotel located just steps away from the Bastille metro stop. Our room was small, but that is to be expected in Paris. We had little trouble getting over our jet lag, as the building was quiet and our room got very dark with the curtains closed. The hotel does feature an elevator, but we seldom used it as we were two floors up and the lift is tiny. There was no refrigerator in the room, but the front desk allowed us to stash a couple bottles in the one in their 'kitchen'. There is a dining area on the first (ground) floor where we and another couple had a nightcap each evening. We hit up the rather pricy 'honor bar' located here the first night. Thereafter we went to the bodega located a few doors down and purchased bottles on our own. Management didn't seem bothered by this.
The lovely and talented staff proved most helpful and diligent in accommodating our every need. Most spoke fluent English and those that didn't made up for it by being as friendly as could be!

Fabien c, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Original Paris, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for the comment you've just posted and thank you for the compliments in regards to the staff, they will love it. It was our pleasure to have you all here with us for your parisian stay. We hope your return home went well and we do say to you "au revoir" as it would be great to have you again, and for those nightly meetings in the lounge.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the Original this weekend past and were quite delighted. On entering the hotel you are already transported into a world not of this one. The staff were friendly and the room delightfully decorated with Alice in Wonderland as inspiration. We were told the other floors had different themes so I look forward to returning. If I may, I'd like to make one comment about the room. There is no mirror other than the one in a cupboard, impossible to see oneself and obviously one in the bathroom. We had a dinner and had to dress accordingly but had no way of seeing if all was as it should be. I think one on the inside of the toilet door might be ok, or perhaps one where the "raven" light fitting is. A hair dryer is thoughtfully provided, but quite difficult to dry ones hair with no mirror and in the bathroom considered dangerous.
The location of the hotel is perfect we found it quiet and incredibly convenient. There is the Marais district which is enchanting, lovely boutiques and nice restaurants.
I would most certainly stay there again and really look forward to our next visit.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabien c, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Original Paris, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Hello,
Thank you so much for the great comment you've posted here. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in Paris and with us. We well noted your point on the mirror and this is indeed an idea so we thank you for that. We hope your return to reality went well and was bearable. It was our pleasure to have you here and we look forward for news from you and to have you with us again, in a whole different room atmosphere why not?