“Regular Hostel”

Ranked #55 of 161 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Cancun, Mexico
“Regular Hostel”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I went to this hostel only for two nights for a concert in Paris on December 2012. It is a small hostel, with no outstanding facilities. The main reason why I chosed it it was for the location. I went to a Crystal Castles concert at the Trianon and it is just located three blocks away from it. Also conveniently located close to the Sacre Coeur et Montmartre area, not to mention the Anvers metro station just five minutes away walking. The only issue is that one of my roomates, a Brazilian guy had 300 euros stolen form the security box! :0...anyways good location, regular hostel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Murcia, Spain
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Woodstock hostel was pleasant and I enjoyed my stay. Me and another friend stayed in a shared dorm (6) for 4 nights Mon - Fri and chose woodstock for its location and reasonable price. 30 euro each a night for a room just below pigalle was a cheaper option and it was very close to montmartre, sacrecoeur and Pigalle and Anvers metro. I actually walked straight down to the louvre from woodstock hostel - a great way to see the city.

The room
We were on the third floor - small spiral staircase was hard to pull my small travel case up but we managed fine! Our room of 6 was made of a sink, a bin, very small safety deposit boxes and a few lights. A lamp above each bed would have been nice I was told by others in the room - though I was lucky and my bed had one above - perfect for nighttime reading. The wifi reached my room from the bottom floor which was also good, slthough it was a little temperamental and hard to connect to. One probems was that there was no air con - little a bit annoying because paris in august is hot and humid but we both adapted quickly and slept well after some vino!

The noise outside the hostel was a little loud but to be expected in busy lived in areas - bin men and drills in the morning - it was not unbearable though and i liked the fact it woke me up so I could get up early get a shower and explore.

The hostel

The staff were all very pleasant, spoke great english and were willing to give advice on where to go, eat, party etc. There was a tiny outdoor seating area where we could sit and drink but you cannot drink inside because they want you to buy from their bar. The outdoor seating also closed at 10pm and the kitchen at 12am to keep noise levels down. Shame to stop drinking outside early but good I had to no access to midnight munchies!

The location
Situated just below Pigalle - this was close to the red light district. I had been warned and reasd that this was sleazy and unsafe for two girls to be in. I think it was good I was aware but I fee this is a little bit of scaremongering. Maybe outside August when parisians are back in the city after their holidays it is worse but I walked home alone twice and had no issues with anything scary or disgusting. The strip in pigalle obviously was not ideal, we drank in an Irish bar Sullivans which was overpriced and crowed. There was a great electro club - Divan Du Monde, opposite la fourmi (great coffee and lush food), which we left because noone else liked the music!! Annoying for me - lover of techno, deep house etc!!

Overall the hostel was great for what we needed , a bed, friendly faces and like minded travellers. I had a ball and although it was by no means perfect, I would stay here again! Only thing i suggest is you bring your own towel and DO NOT lose your receipt for your bedsheets - you wont get the money back otherwise. I made this mistake and lost 12 euros. OOPS

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank genofeves
South Wales, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2013

During our recent exploration of Paris, my wife and I booked a private room at this hostel. Although the cost of the room was slightly over our nightly budget, we are glad that we chose the room that we did. It was nice to be in a room with just the two of us.

If you choose to stay there, follow the directions you receive upon booking your stay. Just note that when you go around the park, turn to your right and take the second street to the left. It will all make sense when you are there. Also, you may be interested to know that there is not a whole lot of activity around the hostel’s neighborhood late at night. In fact, the streets seemed eerily empty. During the day, however, there is a nice size grocery store about a block away. In addition, there is an internet and copy service business right next door and the main post office for the area is right across the street from the hostel.

We had a pleasant experience at this hostel. All of the staff were multi-lingual and provided us with lots of guidance as to how to explore Paris. In the mornings, the breakfast wasn’t much, but they always had fresh croissants, coffee and cereal. The kitchen was small, but sufficient enough to meet our needs. We stayed on the first floor, right off of the courtyard, and we had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the double room on the ground floor off of the courtyard. It has a small sink, a sitting are...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Easy check-in, clean, and offered a kitchen filled with food. Bathrooms were clean. Breakfast was substantial. Just understand that you're going to hostel and you'll be happy with it.

Only bad thing was a guy in our room snored. A lot. But the staff can't control that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Louth, Ireland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

there was ONE plug socket in the whole room, between 6 people. we were lucky that a guy in our room brought an extension cord that he let us use. its also above the mirror, so if you were charging your phone, it would just have to dangle over the sink. so awful. unclean toilet and shower, both tiny. the toilet didnt have a sink, but the shower room did. no sense. also it was 1 shower and toilet between at least 2 floors of 4 rooms on each, at least! kitchen was good but no one bothered to clean things up ever. the garden was tiny and for some reason had two toilets in it, you werent allowed out there after 10. very unfriendly hostel. free breakfast that was actually good, fresh croissants, cereal, coffee, hot choc, juices. close enough to a metro. tiny dorms. loud street front, bongos being played right outside until very late. i got excited when i found out the hostel had a cat, but even he isnt friendly! awful wifi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Brasilia, DF
Reviewed July 4, 2013

For Paris, this hostel have a nice price. The staff are friendly, the breakfast , which is included, is good and is in a good location, close to the bohemian neighborhood Montmatre.
And also has a good kitchen. The problem is the bathroom, which is small and has always a line to use, because it's just one per level.
Another point is because the noise of the street, that is always loud, all night long.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mariliacordeiro
France
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hostel was quite strange. You don't get your own key to your dorm room, and when someone is already inside the room she's supposed to just leave the door unlocked in case someone else wants to get in. And the door was broken so even if you wanted to lock it you couldn't.

The receptionist was also EXTREMELY RUDE. I didn't get her name but she was the one who was at the counter when I checked out at around 10.50am today (June 25). Whenever you ask her something it's like she's pissed off that you're talking to her. Also, when I went inside the lobby (from the courtyard) someone was mopping the floor and I didn't notice that my shoes had left mud prints on the floor. She suddenly went 'oh my God' and made me move so she could wipe off the mud where I was standing. Seriously what the hell was THAT all about? First of all, IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU DECIDED TO HAVE SOMEONE MOP THE FLOOR BEFORE 11AM (dorms were closed from 11am-5pm so normally people will have left by 11am). What the hell was I supposed to do? FLOAT from the entrance to the receptionist's desk?? Second, I was a GUEST in that hostel and should not have been treated so rudely. Even if I'd gotten the floor dirty it's not like it was something permanent. That appallingly rude receptionist acted like I was a dog who had crapped on the floor. People like her have no business whatsoever in a hostel's reception

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo