“DO NOT STAY HERE.”
Review of Friend's Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Friend's Hostel
Ranked #145 of 193 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed January 25, 2012

If u have paid a deposit please please please cancel your booking, the neighbourhood is a gang hang out and the hostel would not pass any legal standards in the western world.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank sueinalice

Reviewed January 25, 2012

First off way too expensive for the size and quality of the rooms, quite bad location unless you like your pockets getting picked and lots of gangs around at night... Not a good look for Paris.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank DootsbruZ
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I paid for 4 bedroom bed and when we arrived there were 5 beds in a very very tiny room. the bed was under a sink! the price was just ridicilous. stuff wasnt helpful. location was scary. its been long time but doesnt change the fact that it was the worst hostel i have ever stayed!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sam K
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Normally I don't do this, but this weekend I stayed at this hostel and would not recommend it at all. A friend and I decided to stay at this hostel because it was cheap, but that was about the only good thing about it. The dorm has about 12 beds which are all in the same room and therefore isn't very conducive to very good sleeping conditions. The light was on until about 1 or 1:30 am and the room was very hot and stuffy, not to mention 12 people snoring and breathing heavily. There were no sheets provided, only a blanket which was not useful in 80 degree weather. There are no lockers to secure your stuff and on top of that, the area around the hostel is sketchy at night (my guidebook strongly recommends avoiding the metro stops around it, even the one right in front of it). Check out time is 9am, which is really early also. Even if you are just looking for a place to crash and get a few hours of sleep like we were, I would advise against it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank humphrsl
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The hostel only provide 1 key per room, even if you are in a 12 bed shared room. I arrived back at 2am and expected to knock on the doarm door and wake someone up to let me is. When i arrived to my room I discovered my bed had been given away by reception. I spoke to the man at reception who was too busy with his friend at the front of the building to really care about what had happened. He took my to another room and showed me a fold out bed and said I would sleep there. When I complained and said i wanted the bed i had paid for, I was told I would have to sort it out myself with the people he has given my bed to. I was left to set up the bed myself and when i asked for blankets and a pillow, i was given a sheet and slept the night with NO pillow and NO blanket. Checkout was 9:30am and someone came and woke me up at 9am to make sure I would ne out by 9:30. There is no breakfast provided and WIFI is only free for a few hours in the day and you are expected to pay for it the rest of the time.
The area around the hostel is not very nice and I was harrassed on the street by sleezy men. i would not go back to this hostel, EVER!

Room Tip: Don't book a room!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Perkerk57
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Wir kamen im September für 3 Tage nach Paris, um hier einige Tage unserer Semesterferien zu verbringen. Zunächst freundlich begrüßt, wurden wir auf unser Zimmer geschickt, was wirklich winzig war. Heruntergekommene Tapete, verdreckte Klimaanlagen, unhygienische Bäder. In der Küche wollten wir uns schließlich zunächst etwas zu Essen kochen. Dies war kaum möglich, da das Geschirr komplett verdreckt herumstand. Zudem entdeckten wir später am Abend Ratten, die in der Küche und im Innenhof herumstreunerten. Am nächsten Morgen war dieser Innenhof voll mit Flaschen, Zigarettenresten und sämtliche Kochutensilien lagen benutzt überall herum. Der im Internet angepriesene Garten entpuppte sich also als ein verdreckter Innenhof, der keinesfalls die Möglichkeit zum Verweilen bietet.
In der zweiten Nacht wurden wir schließlich um halb 1 ziemlich forsch aus unseren Betten geholt. Uns wurde gesagt, dass wir das Zimmer zu wechseln haben, was angeblich zu Beginn abgeklärt wurde. Leider informierte uns dadrüber zuvor keiner. Ein entsprechender Verweis wurde zwar auf der Quittung gemacht, war aber nicht erkennbar und wurde auch nicht erläutert (es stand geschrieben: 15 1 / 9 2 - Was soviel bedeuten sollte, wie: eine Nacht im Zimmer 15, zwei Nächste im Zimmer 9) Als wir uns anfangs unverständlich zeigten, schrie uns der Mann von der Rezeption an, dass wir das Zimmer zu räumen hätten. Da ich zu dieser Zeit im 5. Monat schwanger war, bat ich darum, das Zimmer erst am nächsten Morgen wechseln zu müssen, doch er zeigte keine Einsicht und verschwand einfach, ohne weitere klärende Worte. Wir erhielten ein Zimmer zur Straße raus, in dem die Luft stand, da die Klimaanlagen bereits seit Jahren scheinbar nicht benutzt wurden. Die Fenster konnten zudem nicht geöffnet werden, da der Verkehrslärm an einer vielbefahrenen Kreuzung kein Einschlafen zuließ.
Es gab weder einen Preisnachlass noch eine entsprechende Entschuldigung durch das Personal. Wir können das Hostel somit keinenfalls empfehlen!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We arrived having booked a six person dorm for 5 people only to be shoved into a 9 person dorm with four other people. We stayed in the first room on the right hand side as you enter which has a maisonette floor with 3 beds on it. 3 of us stupidly chose to sleep there and it was beyond hot. There is an air conditioning unit supplied which is basically just a fan to move the hot air around the room.

There is a sewer in the 'luggage room' which is outside the window of the room we were staying in so not only did we have the pleasure of suffering 40 degrees when we were sleeping but we'd also get the occasional sniff of raw sewage as we were trying to sleep.

My bed was particularly spectacular. It was closest to the stairs on the maisonette. There was a pipe behind my bed which is apparently the pipe which all the water from the showers runs through. Not only will this pipe provide you with a delightful 7am wake up call but it is mouldy and leaks onto the floor.

There is also no security whatsoever. When you want to go explore the city you leave the keys with a guy that makes a Bond villain look like a kids TV actor.

Having said all that, the hostel is situated very close to the metro. This is handy because it means you limit your chances of getting mugged by the head cases that patrol the streets outside the hostel. We had the glorious privilege of watching a group of people waiting for a shop to put their rubbish on the pavement before they raked through it looking for food.

I don't know what the people are smoking that said this place is good value for money. Our other friends rented an apartment in the city which was a 10 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and had a considerably better set up than we did.

But if you want to know what it felt like to be a prostitute in the Moulin Rouge in it's hey day, by all means, book into this place. Rank.

Room Tip: The best room would be anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends