“Great little hotel, close to all you need”
Review of Hotel Malar

Hotel Malar
Ranked #897 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights with my wife. Arrived early ( noon) and staff were great and let us check in. Nice room, 328, with ensuite and facing the road at the front which was never overly noisy. Room was clean, had tv on wall and linen changed every day. Small fridge in cupboard to store all your water etc, or purchase stocked items. Close to shops, lovely bakeries, a starbucks, pizza hut and loads of local restaurants, cafes and bars. A short walk to Eiffel tower and metro station. Being avid walkers, we were centrally located and able to take in most of the landmarks in one day! All staff were very good with english and helpful with anything we asked them. We would return to this hotel when we go back to visit Paris!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Dekesim

Reviewed July 30, 2009

After weighing out the reviews, I stayed two nights at Hotel Malar. The reviews, both good and bad, were accurate. The stairs are very narrow, the bathrooms are extremely small, but not a problem for me. My husband is 6'3, slender, and could hardly fit in the shower, but he managed. The room had a peculiar smell, but not overpowering. The noise level was quieter than I expected (after reading reviews). More importantly for me, everything was clean and tidy. The location was within walking distance to most attractions. The staff was personable and helpful when called upon. English speaking.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jo L
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I showed up to check in for my reservation and the hotel manager told me that Expedia had not bothered to confirm my reservation and that they did not have a room available for me. The hotel is now fighting with Expedia and saying that it is entirely my fault and that I didn't like the room... I didn't even see the room!!!!

They sent me down the street to Hotel La Serre and it was the best experience ever!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank sona_nyc
Reviewed June 30, 2009

good value for money/located centrally very easy to access and reach the major sights/good hotels/cafes nearby to visit.helpful staff.Considering that you would not be spending much time in your room or the hotel ,you really do not need any more space only a clean bed and washroom.Yes and thats what we got.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank donchaiunglikum
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Hotel Malar, is not bad just because, the walls are thin, the staircase is dangerous, the bathroom is extremely small. When I checked out, they told me that the price was higher than accorded due to "taxes". I thought "ok, it's not that much". When he gave me the bill, they had charged me a bunch of drinks I had never consumed. It was annoying, and the person in charge was rude to me. He didn't have change; I had to pay with credit card. He wasn't even able to get me a cab to go to the airport. THIS HOTEL SUCKS; DON't GO, it's not worth the cost.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank valerykorn
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Clean and comfortable, but remember that hotel rooms in Paris are SMALL, and if your'e in an old building there is unlikely to be a lift. Not a problem for us, and we slept very soundly, had a lovely breakfast and went on our way refreshed. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Someone said in a review about eating breakfast in the reception - not strictly true. It is open to the reception, but there are also French windows which open to a small courtyard. Good location for the Eiffel tower (about 5 minutes walk), but not so good for the centre, although you can always take the Batobus down the Seine from the tower.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J-MoScot
Reviewed April 26, 2009

This was our first hotel on our weeklong trip to France in April 2009. We stayed here 3 nights. We had a double room (actually two twin beds pushed together) with shower and toilet. The room, though clean, was only large enough to fit the bed, desk, and wardrobe, with not much room to walk around. The TV has 2 English channels: BBC and CNN International. The bathroom was clean, but it had a very small shower and there was the persistent smell of urine after the first flush after a room cleaning. Our room was on the 5th floor, and the spiral staircase, which was very narrow, was difficult to navigate with our suitcase. The front desk staff was a little indifferent and appeared to be more interested in whatever they were doing. I would add that I asked one receptionist for the day's weather, to which he confidently responded that it would be wonderful weather, much better than the previous day's all-day rain. Based on this, we didn't bring our umbrella or raincoat. As it turned out, it rained that day too and didn't stop.

I'd just say at this point that based on the reviews I've read of other comparable hotels in Paris, everything mentioned above appears to be quite common, so I wouldn't say that this hotel is any worse or any better than the others.

On the positive side, the hotel is located in a very nice neighborhood. The Eiffel Tower, which you can see from the street, is about a 10 minute walk away. The nearest stop is La Tour Mauborg is less than 5 minutes away. The convenient bus #69 to major sites (Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, etc.) runs just around the corner from the hotel. The best thing about the area though is that it isn't touristy at all. It was quiet and felt truly like a neighborhood (the complete opposite of, say, Montmartre around the Sacre Coeur). I'd recommend Hotel Malar just for the neighborhood it's in.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple