“Amazing......if you're into filth!”
Review of Unic Hotel

and 1 more site!
Unic Hotel
Ranked #1,610 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing......if you're into filth!”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Where to start.....

We booked this hotel through the ever-reliable booking website innstant.com - first mistake... Don't EVER use innstant.com! They are liars and make up things to say about hotels they've never seen or researched! They have a generic list of facilities in their advertisements which they attach to every hotel description they do. Funny how a 5 star and 1 star hotel can have the same facilities isn't it? Every hotel we've booked with innstant.com we've had huge dramas with!

When we checked in to the Unic Hotel (it certainly is), we we're momentarily thrilled to be advised we had a room with a view on the top floor! Great! Until we opened the door!

We've travelled a lot, and have stayed in some smallish rooms, but this topped the lot! Barely room for the bed, let alone us and our suitcases...

The shower resembled an upright coffin with a hose hanging from the top; you either need to have your face pressed against the mould covered glass or risk having the tap go missing where the sun don't shine! We had to put our soap and shampoo on the toilet beside the shower and reach out when we wanted to use it or put it back (very hygienic)!

There was a tiny little desk tucked into a corner with a 'chair' next to it which actually fell into 3 pieces when I attempted to move it. The mirror in the room was cracked in several places.

We immediately asked if there were any bigger rooms available as given we were staying for a week with a large amount of luggage, this wasn't going to be very comfortable. We were prepared to pay extra if required. We were told the hotel was fully booked, however all the other rooms were apparently smaller than ours anyway! After another chat about this in the morning with the reception staff, we were offered a 'bigger' room, which was actually no bigger than the first room we'd been checked into.

After the second night in the original room, the hotel conveniently renovated and cleared out some other rooms as suddenly a room bigger than the one we were in was available, and we were moved there.

This room was filthy! Mould all over the bathroom (including the cure to cancer growing on the shower head). All corners of the room were covered with it; how anyone can suggest these rooms are cleaned daily is beyond me. Surely more than the occasional change of sheets or towels does not constitute a clean room?

The sheets on the bed on our first night in the small room made us itch all night (hmmm) and then in the 'bigger' room, there was a stain which I don't want to imagine it's origins (it was brown). The phone in the room didn't work, there was one powerpoint for a desk lamp, mini-bar and television - so you had to choose which one you'll use at any given moment.

The hotel advertisement states that ALL rooms have been recently renovated (they need to get their money back from their decorator), that a range of services and facilities are available which you find out the hard way are not i.e. wireless internet service (which they charge you extra to use) which you cannot access from anywhere in the building other than the lobby (and then you must remain silent as to not disturb the reception staff).

These rooms are old, mouldy, smelly, dirty, the carpets require urgent replacement, the wallpaper is torn, paint is cracking and peeling away from the walls, the door to the cupboard cannot be closed, there is a hole in the ceiling (covered with duct tape), cobwebs in the places where it's obviously too hard to reach with the duster - need I go on?

Most of the staff at this hotel are the rudest people we've ever met! On the morning of our first "breakfast" (10 Euro for a mini crossiant, small bread roll, warm OJ and 1 small coffee) my wife asked for a clean spoon with which to eat her yoghurt as she didn't want to use the one she'd used to stir her coffee half an hour before (which was covered with frothy milk). This polite request was met with a tirade of huffing, puffing and muttered abuse from the woman working there.

On our third day, we asked the guy at reception if he was able to book us into a night time tour for that night. He attempted to but said the booking company's computer's weren't working at that time and that he would call back in 15 minutes while we were out for the day. We hurried back to the hotel that night in order to leave for the tour, only to discover no booking had been made and that it was too late for us to reserve two spots that night. As we were on a tight schedule, it was going to be very difficult for us to find another time to do the tour.

As I mentioned, we've travelled a lot, and we're well aware of the variety you receive at different hotels in different countries etc, and generally, we're pretty carefree people and not really all that interested in creating unnecessary dilemmas for hotel staff or ourselves. However, this place is really the pits. If it was not advertised as being something it clearly is not (and we're talking not even close here), the dramas may not have been quite as bad.

If I had paid to stay in a hostel; if it had been advertised as a hostel; (if only it was as clean as a hostel), I would have expected a hostel. However, this place looked pretty decent when we booked, and it is far from it.

I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel for more than one night and then only if you are travelling with low expectations and no luggage. It's a dump and you should avoid if possible. It should only be considered by a young sports group with low expectations i.e. think footy trip.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank asweeney15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The staff are horrifically rude. When I first arrived I thought I had entered the house of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, the hotel was an absolute tip!
We arrived early, left our belongings at the reception, then went to explore the sights of Paris, this was great. when we arrived back we were given the keys to a hellish room. When I say hellish, I mean HELLISH..... The mirror was broken, light bulbs didn't work, in fact, the only light came from a floodlight shining in from the hotel facade. The bedsheets were soiled, this was below par for a homeless shelter, let alone an expensive hotel! We told the staff that the room was unacceptable and demanded a better room, we were given one, but there were other guests staying in the room! I'm not even kidding. Finally we were given a slightly better room.... The key didn't work though. No apologies, just rude, beligerent staff. This hotel is thoroughly horrible, and it takes very little to impress me. I couldn't turn around in the shower either. I give this hotel a big fat 0 stars, and if I could award negative points, I definitely would, both for the awful rooms and the horrible people who work there.
My advice to travellers is that you would do better to save your money and sleep rough! Anything is better than this dive and the hellish people that work here! If the staff are reading, here are a few words to describe the hotel, môche, degeulassse, hideux, odieux.....

NEVER STAY HERE, it is truly awful!!! The location is ok, but it is near the disgusting Montparnasse tower, so no that great really. Please read this review and trust what I say, I couldn't believe what I had walked into!

Room Tip: Al of the rooms are awful, we stayed in 3!!!
Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Struan e

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Reviewed September 17, 2011

While this is a great location, the room was bad-sheets weren't clean, etc.

I had a dispute over my bill, I talked to the desk several times and someone was always going to call me tomorrow. They wouldn't respond to emails either.

Avoid this dump.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank eo440
London
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights last week.

On arriving (at around 13.30) the door was locked. A cleaning lady who spoke neither French, English, German, or Italian, eventually let us in and returned a few minutes later with someone who I assume was a receptionist. She was dressed for lounging around in front of the television and her demeanour was similarly casual. She checked us in without offering assistance with baggage or showing us up to our room.

The room itself was tiny; by far the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. There was less than a foot of space between the end of the bed and wall. The decor was of very poor quality and rather dated. The shower was so small that I (pretty normal sized guy in my twenties) was unable to shower without constantly banging into the walls and turning the shower off. The safe didn't work. However, contrary to some other reports, the room was at least clean.

We went down and asked the (now present) hotel manager if we could change as our room was far too small. He replied cheerfully 'of course it's small - it's the smallest room in the hotel!'. After that we gave up on trying to improve the situation. All our interactions with staff were, to say the least, unsatisfactory. They were, to a man, unhelpful and surly. I was left with the distinct impression that they felt they were doing me a favour by taking my money.

In summary:

Positives:
- Good air conditioning.
- Very central location.
- Room was clean.
- Very cheap.
- Free WiFi, which was decent.

Negatives:
- Smallest room I've ever seen.
- Poor standard of decor and finish.
- Shower so small it was verging on unusable.
- Desperate to get out of the hotel as soon as we woke up; dreaded going back in the evening.

Room Tip: Avoid room 45. And all the others too if you can help it.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Small but comfortable room with air-conditioning. Shower with good water pressure. A satisfying breakfast with good coffee and great breads. Close to three metro stations and a train station too. Great selection of restaurants in the neighborhood.

Who goes to Paris to hang out in a hotel might be somewhat disappointed but that was not us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Everyone says Parisian hotels are expensive for what you get, and this was certainly that. We paid €240 per night for a single night here on business. I would certainly warn people paying anymore than €70 not to expect much at all for your money.

The Lobby area is nice, and so is the breakfast area, but the room was very old fashioned, with mouldy limescaled bathroom / shower, stained bedsheets, stained toilet and shower curtain, and just about enough room to walk about in. Walls are very thin and I was woken numerous times by people coming and going.

I would not return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2010

This is a disgrace to the entire hotel industry around the world. I stayed in the hotel for four nights in September 2010. Had I not pre-paid for the room, I would definitely have walked out. The room was a shoebox. Only a kid could fit in the shower. They cheated on shuttle fare from the hotel to airport. The telephone was dead for my entire stay; the manager just didn't do anything about it. I had to buy an alarm clock (they didn't have any in the room) for wake-up call.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business