“Avoid this hotel at any cost!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Parc Saint Charles

Hotel du Parc Saint Charles
Ranked #1,711 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
Erlangen, Germany
“Avoid this hotel at any cost!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

The hotel we booked was supposed to be a 3-star hotel. However, when we reached the place it turned out that:
1)Hotel Du Parc Saint Charles is a 2-star establishment,
2)The place was overbooked and we were placed in a ground-floor room, approximately 9m2 big. The space in the room was not even sufficient to open the
suitcases. When we complained, they offered us a SINGLE room for double use!
3)The room was basically without a window, the window could not be open on the ground floor, and the shutters were permanently closed making the room dark.
4) On arrival, we were infomed that there will be NO running water on the next day from 8:30-16:00, although the hotel staff knew about the planned water
shortage well ahead and did not bother to inform us in a time sufficient to cancel the reservation.
Lovely romantic holidays.... The staff did not see any problem, however, the manager refused to speak to us and although we decided to move out immediately they charged my credit card as a regular cancellation for the first night. It was a nasty thing to demand cancellation fee as for "booking and not showing up", while we did show up - and the reason we left was ENTIRELY hotels' fault. Be warned!

• Stayed May 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Iwona C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2005

My husband and I booked their internet special (double room for 89 euros) and were quite excited about staying there after reading the previous review. I chose it for several reasons, it being a nice, boutique type hotel instead of the run-of-the-mill tourist hotel, and their claim on their website of being just minutes away from the Eiffel Tower.

The free souvenir chocolates at the front desk were a nice touch. Plus when you check in, they give you a free map of the tourist spots which we found quite helpful.

Make sure you're willing to take your own luggage up a flight or two of stairs, since there's no elevator. And the keys are quite unique (not electronic card keys or regular metal keys). So expect to be asked to leave them at the front desk every time you leave the hotel.

True, the quality of the sheets and layout of the room was nice, but it was extremely cramped. The double bed and the air conditioner (a floor model that was noisy and didn't cool the room...we discovered that it was much better to leave the windows open at night instead) took up the length of the room. Squeezed in width-wise into the room was also a desk with a chair, and a side table with a lamp. The closet was tiny, and since there was no dresser, we lived out of our suitcase.

Don't expect to get much use out of the wall mounted plasma tv unless you're fluent in french. There were only 2 English channels (CNN & MTV). So that sucked.

The room was extremely clean, and the bedding was to die for. Luxurious sheets, bed covers and towels. And a private bathroom with a sink, toilet and shower is always nice. But I have to admit that I found it very strange that the shower (which was hand held) didn't have a shower curtain. It made for a very wet bathroom floor.

We used up the small bottle of shower "gel" (which was actually a liquid) and shampoo early in our visit, but it was never replaced. A minor inconvenience, true. I'm sure if we had asked for a replacement we would've gotten it, but it's generally replaced automatically in North American hotels.

While we were there, there wasn't much to do in the area. The hotel is situated in a very quiet neighbourhood. Many of the small shops and cafes were closed. There is a small cafe type restaurant in the lobby, but we didn't make use of it, so I can't tell you if the food is any good.

BEWARE!!! The hotel's claim of being "minutes away" from the Eiffel Tower DOES NOT mean minutes away by walking. Unless you're driving, it'll take you about 15 minutes to get there by the Metro (subway).

Would I stay at the Hotel du Parc Saint-Charles again? Honestly, no. It was extremely clean, but I think i'll try somewhere else next time I'm in Paris.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank E.Chang
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2005

I recently spent two nights at this small boutique hotel in Paris.

This was my first trip to Paris and after reading all the reviews on the internet of Paris' 2 star and 3 star hotels, I was very concerned that I would be stuck with a terrible hotel room that would ruin my first Parisian experience. I was so relieved when I checked into my single room at the Hotel du Parc Saint Charles.

Yes, the single room was very small by USA standards and as in many small hotels in Paris, there wasn't an elevator, but the room was very nicely decorated, the linens were better than many 5 star hotels in the US, and the bed was wonderfully firm. My room was outfitted with a desk, plasma TV, phone, mini bar, and portable air conditioning. The room was painted a soothing white and grey and had grey silk and flannel drapes on the french windows that opened for a breeze and view of the moon at night.

The room was very clean and everything looked new. The bathroom was very small but all the tile and fixtures were brand new and spotlessly clean. The shower, although small, had plenty of hot water with terrific water pressure. The designer amenities were appreciated as my luggage had been temporarily misplaced by the airline.

The hotel is located in a quiet, residential area in the 15th arrondissement. Its right around the corner from the Balard tube station and all the sights of Paris are within a 15 to 30 minute train ride from the hotel. The neighborhood has a lovely street, Rue Balard, that has all sorts of restaurants and shops. But I would recommend the gourmet restaurant which is practically next door "La Dinée". A wonderful dining experience and they even offer room service!

But the best feature of this hotel is its service and staff. Thomas, the Director, was wonderful and personally handled my reservations via email. Thank you Thomas. The staff that handled the front desk were professional, helpful and friendly. Thank you Arnold and Andrian. My luggage had been misplaced by the airline and Arnold called several times attempting to track it down. It was finally delivered at 2:00 am on the second night.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. My first experience in Paris was made more enjoyable with the very pleasant and positive experience I had at the lovely Hotel du Parc Saint Charles.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business