“Oh well...”

Grand Hotel de Paris
Ranked #1,618 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have just come back from Paris, where I stayed for 4 nights at the Grand Hotel. I was allocated room 46 upon arrival by a receptionist.
Having arrived to the hotel around midnight, I did not pay much attention to the state of the room. But essentials were there: bed linen was fresh, room looked clean, shower was in working condition and toilet was flashing - all necessary prerequisites for a decent stay. So Initial impression was not too bad.
With the building located very close to Gare de L’est and facing Boulevard de Strasbourg, do not expect quiet ambience. The chances are high that your night sleep could be interrupted by honking cars, shouts of pedestrians and general noise of traffic. If you are noise sensitive, bring ear plugs to get proper rest.
Next day I left early in the morning and returned around 7 pm. Feeling tired after rather long day, I decided to stay in that night. I had the lights on and was checking something on my phone when a saw a tiny bug crawling across the screen of the phone. Having thought that it is just a random insect, I got rid of it. To my surprise few minutes later I saw another one and then another one. I looked around and then my glance fell on the bed board. I gasped as it was covered by white little bugs. Additionally grey bugs were crawling along the bed. Having investigated grey bugs further, I realised that grey bugs were actually white bugs who recently had dinner.
I wiped the board bed, but the march of bugs continued. I went down to the reception and asked to move me to another room. The receptionist suggested moving me to the single room and advised to talk to his colleague in the morning.
I was moved to room 16. I carefully examined the bed and bed board and having discovered any unwelcomed creatures, fell asleep. Room 16 overlooks a court yard of some kind and is quite.
In the morning I told about the incident to another receptionist. She said that she was informed by the colleague about the incident and sent the cleaner to check the bed. The cleaner, according to receptionist, saw no bugs… oh well. Nevertheless, I was moved to room 62, where I stayed till yesterday.
Would I choose the hotel again? It is located very close to Gare de Nord and I could walk anywhere to central parts of Paris from the hotel within 30 minutes or so. But I am not sure whether I will stay there again. The area is not very safe and bug incident has put me off in a way.
Yet, it is cheap and well located with friendly staff- the choice is yours.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the court yard are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel de Paris

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for two nights and don't think we will stay here again. We traveled by euro star and one advantage is that the hotel is approximately a 10 minute walk from Gare de Nord International station. However, after travelling from Birmingham to Paris by train the last thing you want to hear upon arrival is that the lift is broken and that you have been allocated a room on the 6th floor. The room was very very basic and small with mold around the bathroom sealant. Fortunately we only used the hotel to shower and sleep so we were only actually in the building for about sixteen hours. On the plus side there's a nice pub next door that is reasonably priced and there is easy access to Gare de l'est and Saint Denis Metro stations. We booked through Superbreaks and feel that this was far from a super hotel. If like us you just wanted somewhere to wash and get your head down for the night then this place is OK but my advice would be to spend a few extra pounds and stay somewhere else. Breakfast was nothing to write home about which was unfortunate because in an expensive city like Paris it's good to fill your bellies in order to avoid paying £30 for a decent lunch for two.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RonaldR397
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here for four nights. The first night we were in room 26. The bathroom had a leak and the pillows seemed to be filled with hard lumps of cotton wool. It was awful. We complained and were quickly moved to room 63. This was bigger and slightly better but overall the hotel is in desperate need of modernization. The bedding is exhausted. the beds are very hard and they are still using sheets and blankets, not duvets. The decor is shabby and horrible. The staff were very nice and the breakfast was good even though it was exactly the same every day. If you are considering staying here, my advice is, don't.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LouiseKT8
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This review is not based on an actual stay there but we had a booking and were unable to make it. We contacted them a few days in advance when we got horrible news as a death in our family and we had to fly back to the states. They were not understanding or willing to work with us on a credit or to book for a later time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Liana R
Reviewed January 25, 2014

It was in 5th floor, outside view was very bad. reasonably clean. lift unbelievably small. staff ok. well It is not possible to write two hundred words about this hotel. Breakfast is too expensive and on their website shows a picture of a breakfast which could mislead you but unfortunately it is not included.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Sarath G
Reviewed January 19, 2014

A great location, room was basic but price reflected this. Staff could not have been more helpful with good English. Room was warm, bed was fine and shower satisfactory. I didn't have breakfast here. I found the rooms quiet, which was great as I'm a very light sleeper.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed for five days in nov 2013 , warm helpful staff . Very centrally placed easy reach from gare du nord and gare de lest a
All kinds of food Indian, Turkish, Italian, French, creperies, KFC McDonald's in walking distance , plenty of budget shopping for suits , Tati store near by overall a good place for a Persian holiday

Room Tip: Cheap quadruple room available for family with small children
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family