“Surprisingly Poor Even with Low Expectations”
Review of Hotel de Dieppe

Hotel de Dieppe
Ranked #1,620 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We chose this hotel, bearing in mind the expenses of Paris and having a tight budget, with a relatively open mind. However, when we arrived at the hotel, even our low expectations were exceeded. Our room and bathroom appeared clean, although a lamp shining on the wall showed it was covered with dust. We were close to the train station and a reasonable walk from the center, although we would not recommend returning late at night, due to lack of safety. Our only sighting of pick pockets was outside the hotel. Free WIFI was a bonus, but signal was terrible.

The breakfast room was very small and the 'buffet' was meager and poor- one day we left without food due to poor service. Breakfast is a croissant, a bread roll, cornflakes and a hot drink. We could not wait to leave this hotel, so be warned.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RebeccwaaGStead
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Dieppe

Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel is exactly what it says it is: a 2 star European hotel.
It is simply a clean bed and bathroom and no frills, which is all we really needed. It is located right across the street from a metro stop, which makes traveling the city very easy. If you're just looking for a clean roof over your head and an easy location, stay here.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meagan B
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is a very low cost hotel, in a good central location, but the property is very poorly maintained. The stained, dirty carpeting in the public areas, the ripped bed spreads in the rooms, the grey towels (once were white), leave a very poor impression overall. A 2 star hotel, can be budget but does not have to be so dreary. The front desk staff were very good, more than helpful, pleasant and accomodating, the continental breakfast was basic but decent, hot water no problem. Easy access to the metro, lots of shops nearby including in the train station, directly across the street.

Room Tip: Room 32 is a good size room, looking out on the main street
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cathytravels
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I've chosen this hotel for it's good location and cheap price and stayed for 2 nights. I can say "friendly staff, good location, clean enough room, clean towels every day". Have your breakfast out like we did. As a matter of fact don't expect a lot from French breakfast. It's just croissant, bread, butter, jam and coffee/tea :)
If you are a traveller who is going out and touring the city everyday and use the hotel just for a sleep and shower, then you can choose this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank sensibelle
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have stayed in a number of budget hotels in Paris and although by no means the worst it was a little below the standard of the others. The plus points are that it was cheap, it provided breakfast and it is close to St Lazare Metro and Railway station. The Hotel is situated in a busy side street just off Place Du Havre and is handy for the Opera, Madelaine and shopping on Boulevard Haussmann. The staff were eventually friendly, but on our arrival we were not told about breakfast times or the location of the breakfast room. The room itself was newly decorated and clean, but lacked any Hotel Information or extra bedding. The TV had no English speaking channels, which seems to be a growing trend in budget hotels. (When we first started visiting Paris on a regular basis about six years ago most TV's in budget hotels had CNN or BBC as standard, but this seems to be a thing of the past, perhaps the cost has gone up?) The bathroom was a bit of a let down, although clean, the shower curtain and one of the hand towels had seen better days, the shower head was in need of a clean and as the wall mount was loose the shower had to be hand held, However, the water pressure was good! The breakfast room was compact but well decorated. whilst breakfast was not the usual buffet but set at one roll and one croissant per person, although you could have as much coffee and jam as you wanted! Overall it was very average and I would have to say that I probably won't be back, however if you are on a strict budget it is better than a hostel and could be for you.

Room Tip: Don't go for room 14 as it is located off the Breakfast Room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MarcusDante
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I don't want to run this place down as I had a satisfactory experience here but it is a very basic 2 star in a rather mixed area and some quirky ideas in the layout and the operation.
My room was on the first floor as is the breakfast area. The door to my room was directly off the breakfast room and I could have taken one step from my room to the closest breakfast table, consequently there is some noise from about 7am right outside the room. The breakfast itself is laid out for you on trays and consists of tea or coffee, Orange juice, Croissant and a very small bread roll with butter and Jam.
Inside the room it was 2 star OK. Single beds, bathroom worked OK, no air-con and it was very hot when I stayed.
All the staff I met were friendly and helpful but they are very keen on front door security and will not let you take your room key out of the hotel. Twice in the first 24 hours I was there I found myself locked out with a 'back in 3 mins' sign stuck on the front door.
I'm a bit surprised by how many other reviewers rate this a great location. I found it a bit mixed. There is a square just up the street which is a homeless hangout especially at night, a lot of very cheap restaurants and kebab places nearby and several of the local shops and bars don't open, or close early, at the weekend. The hotel is across the street from Gare St Lazare where the Metro is a bit of a labarinyth. I have stayed in hotels at similar prices just up the road closer to either Rome, Clichy or Blanche stations that are nicer areas to stay in my opinion. Probably would not use this place again as I prefer the hotels closer to Clichy or Pigalle.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor as you will be woken as soon as breakfast starts
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank RacingAl
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Perfect location. Good metro connections from Gare St. Lazar. Close to Opera. Small but clean room. I did not take breakfast in the hotel, there are several places to eat near the hotel. At the moment when I stayed there, there was no Internet in the hotel. Frendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
HoteldeDieppe, Responsable relations clients at Hotel de Dieppe, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thanks for having taken the time to share your opinion about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to know that you have appreciated your stay in our hotel thanks to the friendly staff and clean rooms, and that you enjoyed Paris thanks to our localization.
We have the free wifi in our hotel since 2011. You could use it maybe during your next stay.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again during your next trip in Paris.