“Extraordinary travel experience in Paris”
Review of Hotel Recamier

Hotel Recamier
Ranked #281 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Extraordinary travel experience in Paris”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a weekend trip to Paris and chose to stay @ Recamier following a recommendation.
Small, charming hotel in a great location just steps from St. Sulpice Church (quiet square with no traffic noise). Nice cafes, restaurants and boutiques in the area. Walking distance to major attractions in Central Paris. The staff was very attentive all the time. Loved the decoration. Modern and with great taste. I would be happier with more room space. But we managed though our stay since we spend a lot of time out. Free Wi-Fi.
Will definitively return again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RickyFeris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Tarleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have just returned from our 2nd trip to Paris and we chose to stay again at the Hotel Recamier.

While a slightly more expensive option you get a charming town house style hotel and a great location. There is a nice lounge in the hotel which serves complimentary afternoon tea from 1600 to 1800 - handy if you need to top up before dinner later in the evening. We didn't sample breakfast as there are better value options nearby.

Rooms are relatively small, as you'd expect from an old building, but they are perfectly adequate and a good bonus in the hot summer months is air conditioning which works.

The location itself is great - most key locations are within walking distance and there is a wide range of eating and drinking options in the area. If you are looking for somewhere to chill out with the locals in the afternoon take the short walk to the Luxembourg Gardens.

Room Tip: Personally I'd not bother paying extra for a view of the square - how often do you look out of y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewJG18
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel in a truly memorable location in Paris.
We have been guests during two previous stays some time ago, each time for a week or more. The hotel is charming and wonderfully located and the staff warm and helpful...and this was true until the last two days of our recent stay.
After having had only full breakfasts, I informed the waiter/ attendant on this day that we did not want a hot entree this time. He asked if I wanted an "express breakfast" and I said yes, believing that included cheese, fruit, etc. I thought I heard him explain to another guest some distance away what that included, but I am half deaf (hearing aid) and he had not explained this to me. Therefore, I started to cut a piece of cheese right in front of him, and rather than quietly saying, " sir, "express" does not include that, he shouted, MONSIEUR, NO CHEESE IS ALLOWED, I TOLD YOU BEFORE! This in front of a roomful of guests, thus accusing me of being ,at best, an imbecile, and, at worst, a thief or swindler...of a piece of cheese! The anger and humiliation I felt so upset me that I, a very even tempered and courteous man, lost my temper. This event totally blighted the balance of my stay in this very fine hotel. I felt I could no longer eat anything there, even the afternoon teas,which I had so enjoyed. Three long stays and thousands of dollars and to have my wonderful memories marred by a thoughtless, rude, insensitive individual saddens me deeply.

I noticed the May 7th, 2013 review by skipklintworth above, which mentioned a problem with the same lounge kitchen staff member. Clearly this person's problems have not been addressed.
I know how difficult the times are and wouldn't want to see anyone to lose their livelihood, even
a fool like this, but certainly his interaction with the public should be severely curtailed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Embucado
De Lattre S, Owner at Hotel Recamier, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sir,
I read your review with great care , and want to thank you for your general appreciation of Hotel Récamier, and also for your loyalty to our Hotel. The experience you describe at breakfast time towards the end of your stay is definitely most unfortunate and your displeasure quite understandable: it is from our guests experiences that we learn and we would like to assure you that we shall make every step towards preventing the recurrence of such incidents. It is sometimes the case, mostly for language reasons , that some words are badly perceived , therefore it is so important for us to have feedbacks from our guests, in order to intensify staff training in this matter.
Sincerly,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Can't beat the location in the stunning St Germain area of Paris. Rooms are typically small but location and front desk service can't be beaten! Afternoon tea a great inclusion and there are a heap of infamous bakeries nearby for breakfast for that quintessential Parisian experience! Highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recommend this hotel. we were writing reviews from our recent trip and felt guilty that we never reviewed this hotel when we stayed here 4 years ago. We stayed at the hotel in October for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon. The staff were great. we belatedly thank you for the small bottle of champagne and your lovely note of congratulations. The location is charming. it is close to everything, but isn't in the middle of the action, which suited us very well. we were in Paris last week and would have stayed with you again but you were fully booked. We hope to stay with you again in the future.

Room Tip: Room was small, but then again it's Paris, go see something.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hotel Recamier is hidden away on the Left Bank right in the St. Germain/6th, prime shopping and cafes and the lovely St. Sulpice church across the street. It's a safe and quiet area, also close to amenities and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was small, but comfortable and clean and they serve happy hour for guests each night in the bar. My favorite was taking a glass of wine outside in the private little courtyard that's tucked away off the bar.

It's also walking distance to the river, Right Bank, Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Latin Quarter, Notre Dame, Marais and pretty much everything on the central Paris "must-see list." It's also close to a few metro stops and there is a cafe right across the street that opens early for coffee and pain au chocolate. There is free wifi but it's an old building with thick walls so I found that service to be spotty on the upper floors, but fine in the lobby and bar area. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My teenage daughter and I spent 3 nights in June at the Recamier.

We have mixed feelings about this hotel.

First, the good:

LOCATION
This is probably my favorite area in Paris. It is right in the heart of many great boutiques including Repetto (handmade ballet flats), Annick Goutal (fragrance), and Cire Trudon (oldest candlemaker). We like sweets and bakeries; Pierre Herme (best macarons) is across the square and the boulangeries Mulot and Kayser are a 4 minute walk. Famous and historic cafes, Cafe de Flore and Les Deux Magots, are about 7 minutes away. There are at least 2 metro stops close by and you can walk to major sights such as Notre Dame and the Louvre in under 20 minutes.

VIEW
We were upgraded to room no. 62 and our window opened right up on one of the twin towers of St. Sulpice church. It was absolutely fantastic. If we looked out our window to the left, we saw the Eiffel Tower.

It was a joy to pull up our desk chair to the window and enjoy our morning coffee or afternoon drink and just look out.

The view from our room was the highlight of our stay.

SERVICE
Everyone we encountered at the Recamier was friendly and helpful. What I really appreciated is that they greeted us in French and then waited for a cue from us whether to continue in French or use English.

SLEEP QUALITY
Our room was very quiet; we did not hear street noise or our neighbors. The bed, although it didn't look new and firm, was comfortable. The feather pillows were great. The linens were nicely pressed and soft.

The A/C worked well. We had dual aspect windows and a window in the bathroom.

Lighting was somewhat dim (seems to hold true for all French hotel rooms).

Why I am not sure I would return:

HOUSEKEEPING
Our room was just not as clean as it should have been. The bedskirt was bunched up at the corner, the duvet was not smoothly pulled over. And, although these issues are minor, for the price, the Recamier should get these details right as other hotels in their class are better in this regard (I'm thinking of the immaculate design hotels that I have stayed at in the past few years, Keppler, Sainte Beuve, Thoumieux).

I was really disappointed with the cleanliness and upkeep of the bathroom. When I pulled up the Roman shade on the window, it was pretty dirty and obviously no one had opened and wiped down the window frame in quite some time. The base of the tub/shower had non-slip decals that were gray - how many feet had scraped against the decals? There was no way I would have taken a bath in it.

There were hairspray drops all over the back side of the door.

There were chips in the plaster above the faucet and the mirror was rusted and corroded. This was unfortunate because every time I washed my hands or brushed my teeth, I was met with this eyesore.

One last note, we came back from a day of sightseeing and found our room door propped open with a wet towel. Seemingly, our room door was wide open for the entire day - anyone could have entered.

DECOR
The Recamier is ready for a little renovation. The fabrics and wallpaper (especially on the landing) are no longer fresh. Overall, the hotel feels a little tired.

SUMMARY
The Recamier is so close to being perfect but I wish they would freshen up the decor and improve their housekeeping.

Room Tip: Marvelous views from some rooms - specify that you would like a room facing St. Sulpice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank pricklypoppy
Dear Madam,
We have read your review with great interest and wish to thank you for taking the time to review extensively all the aspects of your stay at our Hotel. We noticed that you have appreciated the location , the complimentary upgrade, the service, and the sleep quality and general comfort of the hotel.
Your remarks regarding housekeeping and maintenance are very precious to us, as we are constantly focusing on the training and retraining of our staff in this regard. Therefore our guests feedbacks are so important to us.